View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.0 Issue Alert, Troubleshooting Guide on Microsoft.com

Jason Dunn
10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...nc/default.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft wants to alert you to an issue regarding ActiveSync 4.0 and the immediate steps the company is taking to resolve it and meet customer needs. Specifically, some users of ActiveSync® 4.0 have reported challenges when using the USB connection of their personal computer to connect to a device with Windows Mobile 5.0. In many cases, these challenges are likely caused by interoperability with desktop firewall applications or applications that manage network traffic. These applications appear to conflict with the TCP traffic between a device and the PC. An update for ActiveSync is scheduled to be available in late November, but customers may also resolve the issue manually immediately by visiting the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile">Windows Mobile site</a>."</i><br /><br />There aren't that many Windows Mobile 5 devices in the wild yet, so this issue may no affect many of you (I didn't have any problems with my X51v), but there's an <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx">ActiveSync 4.0 Troubleshooting Guide</a> on the Windows Mobile site that has some steps for you to take if you're having this issue. Nice to see Microsoft is being proactive with this issue!

ctitanic
10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
I got affected already. It's conflicting with the same MS ISA Client.

In other cases my NIC card is disconnected everytime I connect the PPC.

gavinfabl
10-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I got affected too and spent hours pulling my hair out.

I had to remove mcafee firewall and other components.

I can't believe they never found this fault prior to release.

clowns in my opinion.

ctitanic
10-20-2005, 08:58 PM

clowns in my opinion.

well, sometime I wonder who is working in their betatester team. Because besize leaking the beta copies of the OS it seems to me that they have not done anything else. 0X

gavinfabl
10-20-2005, 09:11 PM

clowns in my opinion.

well, sometime I wonder who is working in their betatester team. Because besize leaking the beta copies of the OS it seems to me that they have not done anything else. 0X

i'm a guinea pig, who's time is not precious. when I encountered problem, there was no help available. The AS4 help took you to version 3.8.

but theres no point me rambling, because nobody at Microsoft is listening or reading this post.

my pc is now exposed but I will waste a few more hours trying to see if their solution works.

but now, I am just going to continue drinking another beer.

ctitanic
10-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Don't waste your time.
I use MS ISA Client and I checked the Network adapter properties for the mobile device and I do not have anything else there that what they said that should be checked. And I still have to disabled the ISA Client to get connected with AS and after that enable it again.

BTW, the PC disconnection disappeared after I installed AS 4.1 ;) Another leaked version ;)

seaflipper
10-20-2005, 10:58 PM
I had troubles too when I got my WM5 device last week. The problem for me as using Trend Micro PCillin Firewall. Even if I put the exception in Trend Micro for ActiveSync, it still wouldn't work. My workaround was to disable the Trend Micro firewall and use the Windows one instead. Works fine now.

Apparently Activesync sets up your firewall properly for your PocketPC, BUT only if it's the Microsoft firewall.

I hope that fix that in the future because I prefer the Trend Micro firewall to the Windows one...

Ok, I just looked at the MS Troubleshooter and it explains what to do to make it work in Trend Micro. I see they have listed 2 extra programs that Activesync uses that I was not aware of, this is probably why I couldn't get it to work with my hx2495...will try this tonight.

MikeB
10-20-2005, 11:05 PM

Is it a "release" product yet? At www.pocketpc.com it still shows "New! ActiveSync 3.8".

Mike B.

seaflipper
10-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Is it a "release" product yet? At www.pocketpc.com it still shows "New! ActiveSync 3.8".

Mike B.

It is shipped with new WM5 iPaq's, although on the Windowsmobile site you can't download it yet, 3.8 is still the latest...

OEM's might ship their own custom version of AS for their devices sometimes

bvkeen
10-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Thank you immensely for this info!!
My x51v syncs fine on my personal laptop but the IT folks at work have not yet found a way to even get it to connect at work. I will give this link to them first thing in the morning.

ctitanic
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
My x51v syncs fine on my personal laptop but the IT folks at work have not yet found a way to even get it to connect at work. I will give this link to them first thing in the morning.

pray hard, wish them good luck, visit a boodoo guy asking for help and what ever else you can think off because I do not believe that they will find anything good in that article beside the port number that already have been published in many other sites.

bvkeen
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM

pray hard, wish them good luck, visit a boodoo guy asking for help and what ever else you can think off because I do not believe that they will find anything good in that article beside the port number that already have been published in many other sites.

Actually, the article did help. It's up and running fine now. Was not the corporate firewall but the laptop to device firewall.

Update (1 hour later): Well, I spoke prematurely. It's back to not working again. Looks like we bypassed the firewall long enough for one sync to occur, but now it won't even connect (same problem as it had been having). My IT folks may say to heck with it, as they do not formally provide support for WM5 and AS4 (or even for Dell PPCs), as they were just helping me out with it as a favor. If they decide to not put anymore effort into it, I'll have to give serious thought to giving up the x51v. I can't ever recall being so disgusted with a Pocket PC or with a Windows Mobile update.

OneAngryDwarf
10-25-2005, 04:37 AM
My x51v/Activesync 4.0 disconnects more or less disconnects me from the internet after a while when the PPC is plugged in. Most of the time it doesn't completely cut off my access so I don't ever remember that its doing it but it does it without fail. It is definitely not a conflict with my firewall as I don't even have one enabled except for on my router which I set my comp as a dmz anyway.
Microsoft really needs to fix this as I can't charge my handheld by way of the cradle.

erussell
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
My X51v/ActiceSync 4.0 only syncs after I shutdown ZoneAlarmPro, sync, and restart ZoneAlarmPro. I followed Microsoft's work around, but it doesn't help.

donbacardi
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Finally.

This issue has been identified. I've been raising hell with T-Mobile Germany since I purchased my T-Mobile MDA Pro and actually have gotten in some "heated" arguments with their technicians when bringing this problem to their attention. :bangin:

Good stuff ! Vindication !!

OneAngryDwarf
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Another problem I'm having w/ 4.0 is that since it has Windows Media Player integration, WMPlayer never shuts down. So say I'm watching a video and I close the program, it's no longer anywhere to be seen but the audio is still there. I have to manually close wmplayer.exe through the task manager (processes). It always comes back too, which I don't mind since nothing is playing when it comes back but seriously i can't just exit out of WMP anymore... what is wrong w/ MS's ActiveSync team?

aroma
11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Specifically, some users of ActiveSync® 4.0 have reported challenges when using the USB connection of their personal computer to connect to a device with Windows Mobile 5.0

You know... since this issue seems to be with Syncing through USB, mabey once you get the ActivSync partnership setup the first time, you can get around this issue by just Syncing over WiFi directly to the PC! Oh... wait a minute... :roll:

draiken
11-09-2005, 06:49 PM
I updated my X50v to WM5 this weekend. I did not read this thread until today.

When the PPC first tried to connect I noticed a new network connection being created for the PPC, so I figured AS4 WITH WM5 create sort of a VPN over the USB connection (this doesn't happen in bluetooth connections).

When the PPC could not connect, I started looking in this forums and in aximsite's for a solution. I uninstalled AS4, Installed AS4.1, nothing...

After a couple of hours freaking out... it hit me... THE #$%"%&amp;$ FIREWALL!!!!

I opened Norton Internet Security and ran the Networking Wizard for the firewall, It detected the new network connection and I enabled it...

Now AS4 or AS4.1 work like a charm... exept it takes FOREVER to sync now...

Darius Wey
11-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Now AS4 or AS4.1 work like a charm... exept it takes FOREVER to sync now...

The first sync should take a while, primarily because you're dealing with large databases being copied over to the relatively slower Flash ROM. Subsequent syncs should be fairly zippy though.

JLittle1
11-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/opinions/free_forbes/2005/1128/072.html)skewers WM5 over this ActiveSync issue.

Phillip Dyson
11-15-2005, 03:16 PM
The writer really doesn't pull any punches. Although his mentioned of the lack of DUN is not Microsoft's issue, but Verizon's.

I have to agree with the fact that this OS release seems to have a lot going wrong. It would be nice if MS shipped a Service Pack for WM5.0 but I know that only opens a can of worms about who gets it and who doesn't. :roll:

I've yet to even pick up a WM5.0 device, but from what I've been reading there's enough to cool my enthusiasm about getting a new device.