View Full Version : Have you ever gotten soft-stiffed?

Perk
10-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I've been buying software in the PDA arena for many years. Overall, it's been a great experinece and my life is certainly more organized because of it.

However, there are a few glaring exceptions and I'm curious to see if others have had similar experiences, especially with the same vendors:

JOURNAL BAR
Fixed today after around two months. Thanks, OmegaOne!

Tweaks2k2
Fixed today after 12 months! Thanks Frank J.

Have you had similar experiences? Please reply.

Lex
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Software support at Pocket Informant once told me my question was not important enough to send to the developer. The front-line person couldn't provide a solution to the problem yet refused to escalate the case. I've since 'offed' the big PIMs anyway to simplify things.

Sven Johannsen
10-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Have you had similar experiences? Please reply.

I don't know. What were your experiences?

Perk
10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Oops,

I shouldn't have deleted them after both companies suddenly stepped up to fix the problems.

JOURNAL BAR is a program that caches data off the web for weather forecasts and such. It stops working every time there's an update posted. I always go back to Hanadago to download the new version and recently received a message that I had exceeded the maximum number of downloads and therefore could not get the update. This was over 11 months of owning the program. My rights to redownload are now restored.

Tweaks2k2
I purchased this program over a year ago and was never able to use it past its trial becasue the key they sent me didn't work. Yesterday, I reeived an email asking me to install msn messenger so that I could chat with the author. I did and he finally gave me the new key which works. It's a great program and I'm hoping my experience was highly unusual.

Sven Johannsen
10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Interesting. I didn't know there was a maximum number of downloads at Handango. That sounds like a Handango issue though, not an OmegaOne issue. Unless of course OmegaOne allows only a year of free upgrades and that was what stalled your Handango download.

I expect the Tweaks was isolated. The author does frequent this site and if many had such issues, I'm sure it would have been publicly brought to his attention.

I've had minor issues over the years, but no worse in software than any other on-line commerce. Glad your issues got worked out.

cml
10-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Perk,
I had the same issue with Handango and Journal Bar, but since I had purchased with a credit card, they just asked me to enter the credit card # again. Once I did that, I could proceed to downloading the latest version. I think that your problem is an issue, but I think it is a Handango issue. However, I agree that Journal Bar puts out a lot of upgrades -- I assume that it has something to do with changes in the sources of the data they are consolidating.

Perk
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Perk,
they just asked me to enter the credit card # again.

I was prompted to do that in the past. This time it worked with no prompt for credit card. I'm glad it's working again. I really kind of missed it.

Now if they could just stop releasing updates. This wasn't expected when I shelled out the purchase price. Avantgo works wonderfully and I've only ever ahd to update the software once or twice in the last several years.

Jacob
10-05-2005, 09:57 PM
PDAMill!

I bought PDAMill's "Gamebox Asia" and it caused a hard reset on my device.

When it did work it would give an error when I exited it - once it just hung and when I did a soft-reset... boom! Hard reset!

I submitted a support request to them about three months ago and I haven't received even a word from them in reply.