View Full Version : Palm Schedules Webcast With Bill Gates On Windows Mobile Treo

Ed Hansberry
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
<a href="http://ir.palm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105423&amp;p=irol-newsArticle&amp;ID=760556&amp;highlight=">http://ir.palm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105423&amp;p=irol-newsArticle&amp;ID=760556&amp;highlight=</a><br /><br /><i>"Palm, Inc., Microsoft Corporation and Verizon Wireless Announce Press Conference for Sept. 26 - SUNNYVALE, Calif.--Sept. 23, 2005--Ed Colligan, Palm, Inc. president and chief executive officer; Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman and chief software architect; and Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, invite the news media to join them for a press conference on Monday, Sept. 26, at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco beginning at 9 a.m. PDT."</i><br /><br />That's it folks. No more <a href="http://surur.sytes.net/palmdenial.gif">denying</a> it. The device is coming and Verizon gets it first. Links for the live webcast presentation covering the demise of PalmOS are at Palm's site. :wink:

Kash76
09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
That blows that V gets it first!!

Jonathan1
09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Deja vu....How many Apple users are going to have a flashback to MW with Bill live via Webcast. MWAHAHAHAHA. :robot:

Steve14965
09-23-2005, 10:01 PM
It's about time! I can't wait to get my hands on the new WM treo. Hopefully T-Mobile will pick it up too.

IpaqMan2
09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Oh this kills me.. I am flying in Sunday morning to spend a week in Sunnyvale for business and will be 10 minutes from press conference but wont be able to make it because of a meeting :(

Maybe they would give out free Windows mobile Treos to the first 50 people there (Hey I can hope)..

:D

Jonathan1
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
That's it folks. No more denying (http://surur.sytes.net/palmdenial.gif) it. The device is coming and Verizon gets it first. Links for the live webcast presentation covering the demise of PalmOS are at Palm's site. :wink:

Oh I don't know Ed. I hear PalmSource will be licensing out POS to Baskin and Robins that will be using PalmOS to run their blenders. Just don't expect variable speeds....User's don't need such a thing in their blenders after all. :wink:

Seriously though. I fear for the future of WM. Its progressed at such a snails pace WITH Palm nipping at their heels. What happens if/when Palm goes away? :cry: :? Could be bad times ahead for Pocket PC users. I hope not though.

Ed Hansberry
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Seriously though. I fear for the future of WM. Its progressed at such a snails pace WITH Palm nipping at their heels. What happens if/when Palm goes away? :cry: :? Could be bad times ahead for Pocket PC users. I hope not though.
PalmOS was taken out of Microsoft's cross hairs years ago. It is about Nokia and RIM.

IpaqMan2
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM

I doubt this... The Treo is really the first smart phone that will have real recognition running Windows Mobile. Everyone has heard of Palm, and many business execs that are in the market for a smart phone has heard of the Treo. This puts Microsoft in the spot light here.. a chance to show the world and all the other mobile phone OEMS that their OS can do that Job.

I suspect if Microsoft (Gates) hasn't given much attention to WM in the past, he will now.

Paragon
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
PalmOS was taken out of Microsoft's cross hairs years ago. It is about Nokia and RIM.

Absolutely! Plus this also give MS a much strengthened position with carriers. Particularly when you look a countries like Canada where MS just plain doesn't have a position with carriers. This leads them through the door.

Dave

Mike Temporale
09-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Absolutely! Plus this also give MS a much strengthened position with carriers. Particularly when you look a countries like Canada where MS just plain doesn't have a position with carriers. This leads them through the door.

What? Telus, Bell and Rogers all have Windows Mobile devices in their line up.

Handspring has always had good solid hardware and the Treo is no exception. It's nice to see WM on such a device. It is a big step forward for Microsoft.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 02:06 AM

Oh, right, Mike....have you checked the dates that any of those appeared...months after their release, and the current crop is by far the best and earliest representation we've ever seen.

They each do an initial buy through Sprint, or AT&amp;T and usually after that batch is gone, that's it.

The XDA, Rogers listed through their business channel over a year after it's release, and that was it. Since that time they've had what? One Smartphone? Telus picked up the i700, after it's replacement was announced....sheesh. Bell was actually selling the Thera till about a year ago...HONEST! They had a short stint with the PPC5050. When I picked mine up I had to teach the store staff how to set it up. The best we have seen is the Harrier which Bell and Telus actually picked up in the same year it was released for a change, but most Bell and Telus stores don't even stock them......That's not representaion....that's like a cub bear playing with his......

Sorry. I'm not venting on you Mike. It just gets incredible frustrating when small European countries get new devices immediately through their carriers, and a developed country like Canada is so far behind. Folks in the USA think they are far behind...crud...spend a few weeks here.

.....and....AND...when any number of us volunteer to help them out......for FREE the offer is met with a glassy eyed blank stare....right, Jason, Rob, Sems, Dwayne, Bob, Dazz....and a long list of others who have seen the glassy eyed stare. ;)

Did I leave any doubt as to what I think? :)
Dave

Brad Adrian
09-24-2005, 03:16 AM
For selfish reasons, I was disappointed that Verizon is getting this first, rather than Cingular or T-Mobile. But, this is probably the BEST game that Microsoft can bring to bear against the Blackberry. The RIM devices do e-mail very well and voice fairly well...and that's about it. This new WM Treo should be able to deliver e-mail, voice AND a boatload of useful apps.

Macguy59
09-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Being a Verizon customer all I can say is . . . IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN TIME :mrgreen: Finally we CDMA folk get something cool before the GSM snobs :lol:

reidme
09-24-2005, 05:09 AM
If a new PalmOS device came out with a screen that was reduced in both resolution and software compatibility you'd slam it, but since it runs WinMobile you're spinning it as OK. Even more ironic, it's a Palm device.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 05:21 AM
If a new PalmOS device came out with a screen that was reduced in both resolution and software compatibility you'd slam it, but since it runs WinMobile you're spinning it as OK. Even more ironic, it's a Palm device.

reidme,

That's because the spin isn't on the hardware, or the software used on it, but rather the inroads that a sucessful Palm hardware device can provide for the MS platform running its OS.

Dave

reidme
09-24-2005, 05:30 AM
That's because the spin isn't on the hardware, or the software used on it, but rather the inroads that a sucessful Palm hardware device can provide for the MS platform running its OS.

That's the perfect example of spin. It's not the hardware, it's not the software, it's the MS name that matters.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 05:37 AM

That's the perfect example of spin. It's not the hardware, it's not the software, it's the MS name that matters.

No, I think you are misunderstanding....In fact it is the Palm name and past sales success that is going to help the MS name....you are looking at it backwards, I think. Palm has had great success with the Treo. The MS paltform can now share a piece of that success buy having carriers continue buying the Treo hardware they are used to, but now with Windows Mobile. That is a plus for Win Mobile. It's an easier way to increased presence for Win Mobile with carriers.

reidme
09-24-2005, 05:48 AM
Stop spinning, I'm getting dizzy.

Just tell me a PalmOS (or any other OS) device with LESS resolution and compatibiltity than previous devices wouldn't get a thorough round of laughs on this forum.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Stop spinning, I'm getting dizzy.

Just tell me a PalmOS (or any other OS) device with LESS resolution and compatibiltity than previous devices wouldn't get a thorough round of laughs on this forum.

I must incredibly lousy at making people see my point lately......

It has NOTHING to do with MS software going on a Palm device and improving or NOT improving it. It IS about the fact that a successful Palm device will now be available with that MS software on it, so Windows Mobile will ride the coattails of PALM to wider and greater success with carriers.

Please tell me you understand that? ;)

Dave

reidme
09-24-2005, 06:16 AM
I understand that.

Now maybe you'll respond to the point I made in the first place? Although it doesn't really matter because it wasn't aimed at you but at the OP and I didn't really expect a reasonable response.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 06:25 AM
I understand that.

Now maybe you'll respond to the point I made in the first place? Although it doesn't really matter because it wasn't aimed at you but at the OP and I didn't really expect a reasonable response.

Yes, of course, we would be all over it for being a step back with resolution and whatever else you mentioned...but it has nothing to do with it.

thanos255
09-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Does anyone if it is going to be a Trimode phone like the current 650 treo or just digital?

felixdd
09-24-2005, 07:03 AM

Lets see...lets look through the first two pages of http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43159, shall we?

240×240, geez, they never learn. This screen kills the device......the rest of the spec is nice though.
Yeah, this is just my opionion, but for what it's worth...
They should do everyone a favor and scrap this! Release one with at least a 240x320 screen and save users and developers a lot of headaches.
its almost perfect execpt the fact for the external antenna :cry:
I know the 240 x 240 resolution kills this for a of people on this site, but this is MONUMENTAL for the Windows Mobile market. The word TREO has tremendous mindshare, and that's EXACTLY what Microsoft needed.
I really hope its not 240 by 240. If it is i'am staying with my Treo-650 or switchig to HTC Athena (O2 Atom). I hope I-mate will sell it.
I am concerned about the resolution. I admit that in a vaccuum 240x240 is okay for the average user, but if carriers sell the POS and WM side by side, then it can be a hindrance.

What? No built-in WiFi? What a load of ...

240x240. That's no good either.

Nice try Palm... but try harder.

Robb
240 x 240?? Ewwww. I hope they ARE wrong on that point.

Yes...I think the spin doctors are very hard at work here :roll: . As maybe this post wll point out, the 240x240 resolution and other technological shortcomings are not sitting as well as you thought, even with the fact that it runs WM. And as Dunn's and Paragon's posts also say, we're more looking at the fact that this is the first "OS-agnostic" device by Palm.

reidme
09-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Wow felix, sorry if I touched a nerve. I was actually referring to Ed's spin in his thoughtcast. I'm proud of all of you!

Jonathan1
09-24-2005, 07:19 AM
*shrugs* why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch?

Obviously this is Palm dipping a toe in the water to get a feel as to what people think of the device with WM on it. If it's a good one I expect a better screen in a later device. Personally I'm thinking of this thing as a public beta for Windows Mobile. The real deal will prob come next year with built in WIFI and a higher end screen. Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day nor will Palm's adaptation to WM. In the mean time I stick to the opinion of Eww with the res. Not for me. For some it will fly. For those who don't care about res they aren't going to care and I think that encompasses more people then you guys think. I think the killer point is that WM is in the Treo. That's step one. Step two will prob be to upgrade the hardware. Step three? World domination. MWAHAHAHAHHA!

reidme
09-24-2005, 07:44 AM
...Personally I'm thinking of this thing as a public beta for Windows Mobile... That's step one. Step two will prob be to upgrade the hardware. Step three? World domination. MWAHAHAHAHHA!

That's an excellent description of MS strategy. In a few years we can look forward to a lack of innovation in mobile phone technology, just like we have in PC technology today.

*Edit* That's no big deal really, as long as they get it right eventually. Standardization is ultimately good for everyone. Let's just help them get it right.

Joseph Byrns
09-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I may be missing something here, but what exactly is this going to bring to the PDA market?

I can see how it advantages Microsoft (the more manufacturers the better), likewise it may also advantage Palm (expanding it's potential market, especially so if it retains the original operating system as an option).

But what is it going to do for the user, what additional FEATURES is Palm likely to bring to the table? Without something significant will it not just disappear into the sea of other similar WM PDAs?

Darius Wey
09-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Without something significant will it not just disappear into the sea of other similar WM PDAs?

Quite possibly.

However, the Treo form factor tends to be worshipped by many. Being able to couple that and the Windows Mobile platform is in some ways, "divine". I'm sure five years ago, no one from the Palm fan camp ever thought that they would see a Microsoft OS on their device. So, fantasy will soon become reality - and while the hardware might not be stunning, the fact that worlds are colliding is just plain geeky. 8)

In the meantime, here's (http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2005/09/23/473531.aspx) a little teaser for Monday's big announcement.

g0097
09-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Although its not really a feature, one of the things I am looking forward to with a WM Treo is the fact that Treo's usually come with 1800 mAh batteries. The average WM PPC or phone usually only comes with a 1280 mAh battery. That improvment in battery alone will allow me to run bluetooth longer, surf the web longer, and do alot more things because no matter how you cut it, the more battery life the better!

Take1
09-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm not too impressed with the 240 x 240 resolution either, but what IF Palm decided to go with a 480 x 480 screen? I would imagine there would be MORE issues with app compatibility (especially the older apps.). If I am way off base, pls. correct me on this.

I do know I had a frustrating time using my Toshi e800 and Dell X50v with more than a few apps that didn't play well with the VGA resolution offered by those devices. Additionally, the slowness of SE using VGA was annoying and really needs to addressed -- I can't imagine someone using a mobile phone would appreciate anything less than spontaneous reaction to navagation commands within the OS.

On a plus note, The WM Treo will be the first Palm device to have true multitasking abilities which alow for things like tabbed browsing. The big question is how much RAM/ROM is going to be put on this device? I'm assuming 64 MB RAM (from confirmed specs) and how much Flash ROM (since it's WM5).... ? Hmmmm.

Mike Temporale
09-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Oh, right, Mike....have you checked the dates that any of those appeared...months after their release, and the current crop is by far the best and earliest representation we've ever seen.

Dave, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that our carriers are doing a good job - far from it, I agree. I was just pointing out that they aren't as bad as they have been in the past. We actually can actually choose an "almost" current device from 3 carriers. That's unheard of.

Paragon
09-24-2005, 12:45 PM
an "almost" current device from 3 carriers. That's unheard of.

I've had a feeling all along that has been a blip on their part...a positive mistake on their part...but as a I said, you can't walk into most store and pick one up. Plus their support is terrible. They haven't bothered to teach their staff about these devices.

Anyway, Mike, we can only hope that they will continue to improve. We'll see what they do with the current batch of new devices, right? :)

Dave

Ed Hansberry
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
No. I never slammed the iPAQ Messenger lines either, though some did. I think the square screen integrated keyboard devices are going to be huge.

reidme
09-24-2005, 04:33 PM
No. I never slammed the iPAQ Messenger lines either, though some did. I think the square screen integrated keyboard devices are going to be huge.

Aren't the iPAQ Messengers WinMobile devices? Of course you didn't slam them.

Ed Hansberry
09-24-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't get your point. Since I heard about WM devices with square screen on the drawing boards in early 2004, I have been waiting for them to launch. now they are.

If you want to destroy a straw man then go ahead. no one can stop you. If you want to see what I've been saying since the first Messengers were announced, go back and read my posts over the past year.

My issue with Palm devices has always been way more about the limited OS, which can also cripple the hardware - why some devices can use SDIO WiFi andlothers can't - and not about the device design.

when it comes to "slamming devices" I very rarely do that. Not every device works for every person. there are devices that are very popular that you couldn't give me, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good piece of hardware.

So for the 2nd time... I think the square screen integrated keyboard devices are going to be huge.

What reduced compaitibilty? Except for games, which I don't care much for, what software isn't going to work on a WM5 or WM2003SE device with a square screen that does on a normal WM5/Wm2003SE device?

And explain how a 240X240 screen has lower resolution than a 320X240 screen with a SIP up. I use FITALY and it is a larger than normal SIP. The FITALY keyboard seems to be exactly 80 pixels, so I guess I have been effectively using a 240X240 screen since 2000 when I installed and started using FITALY on a Pocket PC 2000 device.

fmcpherson
09-24-2005, 06:27 PM
For selfish reasons, I was disappointed that Verizon is getting this first, rather than Cingular or T-Mobile. But, this is probably the BEST game that Microsoft can bring to bear against the Blackberry. The RIM devices do e-mail very well and voice fairly well...and that's about it. This new WM Treo should be able to deliver e-mail, voice AND a boatload of useful apps.

Since all the carriers sell Treos, I gotta think that by the end of 1Q06 most if not all will have the WM Treo too.

Brad Adrian
09-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I still think the best way to look at this device is not by comparing it to other WM devices, but to devices like the Blackberries. This is far and away more powerful and useful than any of the Blackberries.

mmidgley
09-25-2005, 11:07 PM
if WM (WM5?) goes well on the treo, it may lead to beefed up treo hardware. even if its not ideal now, its a step in the right direction.

i just wish someone would make the step faster (HTC, HP, Dell, ...?)

m.

i only want: VGA display, 256 flash, 128 ram, Wifi 11g, BT1.2, GSM/EDGE/GPRS, GPS, tablet-style hide-away keyboard, BIG battery (even if it makes the device 5 mm thicker!) seems that HTC is the closest, if they'd just discover GPS.

Horus
09-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm curious about the compatibility comment. Windows Mobile is designed to support square screen devices. Games will have problems, but that can't really be helped. Regular window/dialog based apps will work fine in almost every case. (Ironically, the only case where they won't work is where the developer tried to be very clever in their support of landscape screens.)

Horus
09-26-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm not too impressed with the 240 x 240 resolution either, but what IF Palm decided to go with a 480 x 480 screen? I would imagine there would be MORE issues with app compatibility (especially the older apps.). If I am way off base, pls. correct me on this.

Additionally, the slowness of SE using VGA was annoying and really needs to addressed

480x480 is supported by Windows Mobile. They could have used it if they wanted. That actually would open up some interesting compatibility possibilities in terms of games working.

The "slowness" you refer to only happens when you run old apps on VGA. The pixel doubling feature takes cycles. You notice if you run actual VGA apps, you don't see that lag.
This is NOT to say the pixel doubling should not have been faster - cuz it is totally boggy.

Tim Rapson
09-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Has nothing to do with this story. Look, if Dell released an Apple OS X model tomorrow would the Apple sites have huge stories comparing how much RAM the Dell Apple OS models had compared to the Apple branded one? Or if Apple released an Windows compatible laptop tomorrow would anyone be talking about how much RAM it had compared to Dells and Ipaqs?

No, people don't buy Apples for their RAM compared to Dells RAM. They buy them because they like the style or the OS.

Well, that is what is happening here. It has nothing to do with whether the folk here like or don't like PalmOS Palms. It has to do with a whole new and very big hardware name supporting the PPC OS. It would be just the same if Sony said they were jumping back into the PDA market with a WinMob model. I have heard a lot of people here talk enviously about the lovely Clie hardware Sony once sold, but if Sony came out with a PPC PDA tomorrow no one would be saying that the hardware alone was so much the story as the fact that Sony was putting a different OS on it so that PocketPCThoughts users could use them.

Darius Wey
09-26-2005, 04:35 AM
i only want: VGA display, 256 flash, 128 ram, Wifi 11g, BT1.2, GSM/EDGE/GPRS, GPS, tablet-style hide-away keyboard, BIG battery (even if it makes the device 5 mm thicker!) seems that HTC is the closest, if they'd just discover GPS.

Seems like Fujitsu-Siemens' N500 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43156) is the closest match you'll find at the moment.

Phillip Dyson
09-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Just listened to the press conference.
I have a couple of points.

1. Verizon only for 6 months :(

2. Apparently Palm was a big influence to WM5.0

3. Everyone always figured that the Palm/PalmSource split was for the benefit of the PalmOS. But if what the CEO said is true about them planning this for years, perhaps the split was really to free up Palm Inc to pursue this relationship.

Jason Lee
09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I watched it live on my pocket pc phone. :lol:

I liked at the end when they had the little photo op there were like 15 treos poping up over people's heads taking pictures!

I see treos everywhere. Imagine when those people start buying the WM treo cause it does more, works better or is just the new treo. :) I really think this device is gonna be huge.

Rob Alexander
09-30-2005, 09:54 PM
And explain how a 240X240 screen has lower resolution than a 320X240 screen with a SIP up. I use FITALY and it is a larger than normal SIP. The FITALY keyboard seems to be exactly 80 pixels, so I guess I have been effectively using a 240X240 screen since 2000 when I installed and started using FITALY on a Pocket PC 2000 device.

I guess it depends on what you do with your device. I spend as little time as possible entering information via the SIP and mostly use my PPC to read information that I've moved to the device in some other way. e.g. reading ebooks, reading email, using a dictionary or encylopedia, using Pocket S&amp;T, etc. My SIP is gone for probably 90% of my PPC use so I would consider a 240x240 screen to be significantly less useful than a 240x320.

It seems like this discussion (even if I'm late coming to it) was traveling down two paths at the same time. Some people are interested in the impact on the market while others are interested in 'what's this going to do for me'. I fall in the latter camp and so am only mildly interested in the news. I wouldn't be interested at all except that I never thought I'd see a Palm device running WM. Still, there's no way I'd actually buy a 240x240 device. Heck, I promised myself long ago that my next device would be VGA. No way I'm going backward!