View Full Version : Please Help: Need a Device to Exclusively Browse the Web

docdekay
08-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Hello

Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about pocket PCs. I read a rave revew about the PocketSurfer in the New York Times last year and it sounded exactly like something I have been waiting for. Needless to say, I did a search on here for it and came up with some highly unfavorable (and that's being kind) comments.

In any event, what would you guys recommend for a novice like myself who wants a device which will be used exclusively to browse the web/check mail? I really dont need any other features. I'm assuming I need a blue tooth enabled device so that I can connect, but I'm not 100% sure.

Please post to me like a complete idiot. When it comes to this, I am.

Cost is not the biggest concern, but I would like something which is functional, user friendly, and supports java, flash, and anything else which makes browsing the web seamless.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your advice.

surur
08-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Sounds like you need a small tablet PC. Thats the only way to have no compromises on the experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.mspx

Surur

docdekay
08-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Thank you.

To be completely honest, I wasnt looking to spend so much on this device. I greatly underestimated the cost.

Can anything be had for about $4-500 which will satisfy my needs or am I dreaming?

Menneisyys
08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Alternatively, you may want to give an old(er) Toshiba Libretto a try.

You can also decide for waiting say, half a year to see whether Minimo becomes a decent browser on the PPC.

Also, you may want to read this thread (http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/printer-friendly.asp?tid=115&mid=) on H/PC web browsers.

The PocketTV Team
08-19-2005, 11:53 PM
> Also, you may want to read this thread on H/PC web browsers.

The problem is that no Windows Mobile or H/PC browser currently supports new dynamic client-side technologies like JAVAX, which are getting more widely used, e.g. by gmail.com, flickr.com etc.

The Windows Mobile browsing experience is not as good as MSFT is claiming it to be...

Powerful browser that fully support JAVAX and all moder client-side dynamix technology are only available on Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux.

Menneisyys
08-20-2005, 06:34 AM
> Also, you may want to read this thread on H/PC web browsers.

The problem is that no Windows Mobile or H/PC browser currently supports new dynamic client-side technologies like JAVAX, which are getting more widely used, e.g. by gmail.com, flickr.com etc.

The Windows Mobile browsing experience is not as good as MSFT is claiming it to be...

Powerful browser that fully support JAVAX and all moder client-side dynamix technology are only available on Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux.

Exactly. This is why I've recommended a cheap, oldish Libretto.

docdekay
08-20-2005, 02:46 PM
At the risk of sounding even dumber than I already am regarding this topic, can you recommend a specific model or source where i could purchse one (a libretto)?

Thank you.