View Full Version : MS Speaks About OS After Windows Mobile 5

Ed Hansberry
07-05-2005, 01:00 PM
<a href="http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/27/HNinterviewzhang_1.html">http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/27/HNinterviewzhang_1.html</a><br /><br /><i>"The head of research for Microsoft's Windows Mobile software for handheld computers, Ya-Qin Zhang, was in Taipei last week talking up the company's latest major operating system release, Windows Mobile 5.0. In an interview, he lamented the slow development of battery technology for mobile devices and offered a glimpse of what Microsoft is already up to for its next major upgrade to the mobile computing OS."</i><br /><br />Window Mobile 5 devices haven't even started shipping, though you can expect at least 30 models in the next year with the recently unveiled OS, yet most of the Windows Mobile team have moved on to the <i>next</i> release which will probably be in late 2006 or early 2007.

Jason Dunn
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
It's pretty amazing they have around 1200 software engineers working on the OS in total. 8O If they'd only loan me a few, I have this list of fixes that need doing... :lol:

MS Mobiles
07-05-2005, 03:48 PM
It's pretty amazing they have around 1200 software engineers working on the OS in total. 8O If they'd only loan me a few, I have this list of fixes that need doing... :lol:

Hehe, yeah, they should devote some more to bug fixes...

...but I also think that this 1200 engineers in 90% are those working on the base operating system of Windows Mobile, namely on Windows CE. I will never ever in my live believe that that this number relates to Windows Mobile that is just a layer of applications over Windows CE. Still 1200 is a very very big number of people. I suspect it's some mistake... this probably also includes marketing people.

stevelam
07-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I suspect it's some mistake... this probably also includes marketing people.

Yeh that wouldn't surprise me. Probably the cleaners as well!!

Duncan
07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Window Mobile 5 devices haven't even started shipping, though you can expect at least 30 models[ in the next year with the recently unveiled OS

30 eh? Assuming that the HTC Universal is only counted as just one, that the updated FSC Loox 720, Axim X50v and HP hx4700 are included in that number and that there are a few mobile phones included in that number - that still means a few unknown Pocket PCs due out... The FSC Phone Edition will be one. I wonder what will be added to the mix for the VGA replacements from the main providers? Any new companies bringing out a device?

jasondearyou
07-05-2005, 05:05 PM
lol..... yeah and their families. :) 0X

Raphael Salgado
07-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I heard that 1100 of them worked on Jawbreaker. And most of that work required modifying the text from Oopdreams Software's Bubblets (http://www.oopdreams.com).

:lol:

cmorris
07-06-2005, 01:01 AM
30 eh? Assuming that the HTC Universal is only counted as just one, that the updated FSC Loox 720, Axim X50v and HP hx4700 are included in that number and that there are a few mobile phones included in that number - that still means a few unknown Pocket PCs due out...

This also includes Smartphone devices. He mentioned the Samsung which will be the Smartphone running WM 5.0 with the 3GB drive.

Darius Wey
07-06-2005, 01:31 AM
30 eh? Assuming that the HTC Universal is only counted as just one, that the updated FSC Loox 720, Axim X50v and HP hx4700 are included in that number and that there are a few mobile phones included in that number - that still means a few unknown Pocket PCs due out... The FSC Phone Edition will be one. I wonder what will be added to the mix for the VGA replacements from the main providers? Any new companies bringing out a device?

I suppose the figure of 30 is nothing mind-boggling. I can recall around 30 or more WM2003SE devices being introduced into the market since Microsoft released the OS to RTM. You have your big name companies producing devices, as well as your small name companies producing devices - e.g. EMIRATE1, Krome Spy, etc. I suspect we'll have to wait until the first half of next year before we see a mass introduction of new WM5 devices.

stevelam
07-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I suspect we'll have to wait until the first half of next year before we see a mass introduction of new WM5 devices.

It cant come soon enough. I just cant wait for the next Dell.

rhattan503
07-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Why not develop apps for Windows Mobile (2003, 2003SE, 5.0) and Windows Mobile Smartphones (2003, 5.0 - non-touch screens; i.e. Motorola Q) which allow syncing with Gmail contacts, calendar and bookmarks/favorites. Allow birthday support for Google Calendar within Gmail contacts. The only browser that really meets all mobile needs so far is Opera Mobile and Opera Mini for cell phones/pdas and with the Nintendo DS coming out with a cartridge for the Opera browser we need support. How can we let Google know we want these apps and demand the capabilities, lol....just some ideas.