View Full Version : Dale Coffing Reviews the Samsung i730

Jason Dunn
06-25-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://dalecoffing.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/06/first_look_sams.html' target='_blank'>http://dalecoffing.typepad.com/my_w..._look_sams.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung’s new SCH-i730 is a major improvement over their previous i700. The most visible change is the slide-down QWERTY thumb keyboard, for e-mail and other text entry duties. Less visible, but perhaps more important is the enhanced wireless power built into the device. The i730 has a built-in EVDO/1xRTT capable mobile phone as well as integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability. Samsung was very serious about getting a form factor out that will be attractive to anyone interested in an integrated tactical keyboard yet keeping the overall size small. Verizon Wireless will be carrying the Samsung i730 product and I have heard that the availability should be around July 7."</i><br /><br />Dale Coffing, whom I never expected to write another Pocket PC review again, has put together a great hands-on look of the Samsung i730 Pocket PC Phone Edition. I had a chance to use a bit at CES in January, and it's a very slick device. Check out Dale's review for the scoop!

KTamas
06-26-2005, 01:43 AM
From the comments:

"I have been running Windows Mobile 5 as a development platform on a Blueangel device (the MDA3) so it kind of spoiling me to not have some of the advanced features on the i730.

-Dale Coffing"

I want it, i want it, i want it [...]... :)

Macguy59
06-26-2005, 01:58 AM
The $600 WITH a 2 yr contract is tough to swallow. Maybe I had better not get my hands on it for walk through :lol:

Hugh Nano
06-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Dale Coffing, whom I never expected to write another Pocket PC review again, has put together a great hands-on look of the Samsung i730 Pocket PC Phone Edition. I had a chance to use a bit at CES in January, and it's a very slick device. Check out Dale's review for the scoop!

Hmm... Why would you not expect another Pocket PC review from the founder of PocketPCPassion.com?

dequardo
06-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Maybe because he and his sites disappear for months at a time?!?

Darius Wey
06-26-2005, 03:38 AM

Only for internal testing. ;)

I doubt T-Mobile will be releasing a legal WM5 build for it. :(

Darius Wey
06-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Hmm... Why would you not expect another Pocket PC review from the founder of PocketPCPassion.com?

Dale is working as a contractor for Microsoft, and because of the time devoted to that, he didn't get the chance to update his site for the past 7-8 months or so. However, now he's back and writing reviews just like the good old days. ;)

KTamas
06-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Only for internal testing. ;)

I doubt T-Mobile will be releasing a legal WM5 build for it. :(
I doubt it too. That's why we have xda-developers.com :P

pjerry220
06-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I wish my company would have gone with the i730 for business travelers instead of the PalmOne Treo 650. The review on Dale's site make the i730 so much more appealing and user friendly.

biglouis
06-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Whoah! Where did this baby come from? I love my i-mate JAM but I really would like integrated WiFi.

Does anyone know if this phone is going to be introduced into the UK?

LouisB

Paragon
06-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Whoah! Where did this baby come from? I love my i-mate JAM but I really would like integrated WiFi.

Does anyone know if this phone is going to be introduced into the UK?

LouisB

Sorry, biglouis, it's a CDMA device. There is a GSM version coming at some point called the 750, but it does NOT have a qwerty keyboard, only a numbered phone pad.

Dave

rmasinag
06-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Am I the the only one or is Verzizon going the neuter the BT to just headset features like they always do! :evil:

But it's really nice compared to the hp 6600, its as attractive as the iMate Jam, but not coming from Verizon.

kaps
06-26-2005, 09:02 PM
BT works fine on this device, both with a Jabra headset and with Hands Free in Honda/Acura cars.

It is one very cool phone!!!

Karl

ricksfiona
06-27-2005, 05:22 AM
The more I look at it, the more I want it! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for the i750. It's going to be interesting within the next few months when all the new WM5 devices come out.

alizhan
06-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Am I the the only one or is Verzizon going the neuter the BT to just headset features like they always do! :evil:
FWIW, this is addressed in the comments below Dale's review. Serial profiles work, but DUN seems to be MIA. Then again, the BT+DUN throughput apparently is so low as to be unusable (the comment says 200-300 bps).

Yes, it would have been nice for Verizon to allow us to make this choice for ourselves, but they're the ones who would have to field the irate tech support calls.