View Full Version : More Intel-PowerVR Magic to Come!

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=247' target='_blank'>http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/...ndex.asp?ID=247</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Imagination Technologies Group plc, ("Imagination Technologies"), a leader in system-on-chip intellectual property (SoC IP), announces that Intel Corporation ("Intel") has licensed both a member of its new generation, fully programmable PowerVR graphics and video processing IP family, codenamed Eurasia, and a next generation multi-standard video codec (video encode and decoder) IP core. Intel has previously licensed PowerVR MBX family graphics and associated video and display cores."</i><br /><br />Intel and Imagination Technologies did it with Bulverde, and they're about to do it again. Hopefully, 'Eurasia' will lead to a horde of exciting new processing capabilities for future Pocket PCs. In fact, this leads me to my next point. What processing capabilities are you hoping to see in the next-generation Pocket PCs?

gibson042
05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, I'm pretty with current processors... all I would like to see (that could happen with this generation) is even lower power usage. On my "not a chance" wish list: integrated 2D/3D graphics acceleration (à la 2700G).

HailFire
05-19-2005, 02:01 AM
dedicated 3D graphics GPU!!!!

R K
05-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Do current Bulverde CPUs even have an FPU yet?
I think that would be the first on my list since that would at least let it match the 386.

Dalantech
05-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Nvidia's Gforce 3D (http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_3d_4500.html) in a PDA that I can hold in my hand! Check out the specs! (http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916371668.html) -drool!

I use my iPaq hx2410 for games, movies, and music (I don't need to take my laptop with me when I go on the road, the hx2410 is really that good!). So here are my requirements for a Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA:

4" diagonal display with a high contrast ratio. A lot of companies go cheap on the LCD to save money, and it's a huge mistake!

Whatever Intel CPU is available at the time, at the highest clock speed.

That Nvidia Gforce 3D GPU I linked to at the top of this post *drool*

CF. SDIO, WiFi, Bluetooth 1.2, USB 2.0 (host), etc.

A 2000MaH standard battery. The HP 4700 currently ships with an 1800 MaH standard battery, so a 2000MaHs should be possible.

I'd be willing to pay from $800 to $1000 USD for such a PDA -it would be worth every penny to me...

Edit: I was reading the white papers that MS published on WM5 and noticed that it includes an API for DVD decoding... 8)

radish28
05-19-2005, 05:18 PM
The GoForce's have max less than 2mb memory and can nly decode MPEG-4 ad 30fps among other things, they are almost the bottom of the line comapred to ATI and Intel's offerings. Currently Intel has the best 3D chip, the 2700g (a.k.a. Marathon). I hope they dont screw us over wiht this Eurasia by making it a better 3d chip and imcompatible with 2700g stuff.. Yes the GoForce a nice chip but not amazing, IMHO.

Dalantech
05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Simple math: 640x480 (the resolution of the screen) x2 (the number of bytes needed for 16 bit video) = 600 KB of memory and the GeForce chips have 1.2 MB of embedded memory -more than enough for the frame buffer, Z buffer, and texture storage. More RAM just equals more power consumption (since it has to be refreshed)...

MPEG decode: How many frames per second do you need for smooth video? 24 -that's all. The chip doesn't have to provide more than 30 FPS anyway since you won't notice any difference between 24FPS or 2400FPS -we're not talking about 3D gaming performance, this is just video...

As for Intel making a fast 3D GPU -I'm really biting my tongue on that one! Since when has Intel ever made any GPU that wasn't a Decelerator?!

Compatibility should be a non issue since every GPU will be processing MD3D with Windows Mobile 5.0 -as long as there is a driver for the GPU it will work. What is important is that the GPU is designed to accelerate MD3D, and the Nvidia chips are designed to do that. I don't know about Intel's 2700 GPU...