View Full Version : HP iPAQ hx4700 ROM Update Now Available

Darius Wey
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/22658.html' target='_blank'>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/f...load/22658.html</a><br /><br /></div>HP iPAQ hx4700 owners: Your ROM update is here! I'm not sure if it includes Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, so I'm waiting for the first person to reply to this thread to confirm its presence. New features include:<br /><br />• Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer.<br />• Provides an improved Microsoft Windows Media Player.<br />• Enables more than one Settings application to be active at the same time.<br />• Adds new data connectivity icon to the Title bar.<br />• Improves ServerSync application stability.<br />• Enables dialing of a number that starts with a pound sign (#).<br />• Enhances localization, including:<br />• Traditional Chinese: Improves Wi-Fi settings "Zero Config" dialog box.<br />• Japan: Improves Wi-Fi settings.<br />• Korean: Updates the Lunar calendar.<br />• Enables the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) to be used in the Contacts application search function. <!><br />• Fixes issues with wireless connectivity.<br />• Fixes issue with execution of .NET framework.<br />• Fixes issue with very high-volume audio signal from third-party applications that could result in potential speaker damage.<br />• Fixes issue where the microphone automatic gain control (AGC) setting was not saved after a power cycle.<br />• Fixes issue where the user interface for the handheld would indicate that the user was connected to a network that was not present.<br />• Fixes issue where protected extensible authentication protocol (PEAP) authentication would fail with no indication that the user's password had expired.<br />• Fixes issue where Pocket Internet Explorer would stall and fail to load a page if the HTTP post was larger than 16K.<br />• Fixes issue where WiFi connection status was incorrectly indicated for some conditions.<br />• Fixes issue with an active modem connection where the handheld was unable to re-establish a connection after the USB cable was unplugged.<br />• Fixes issue that occurred when using WPA-PSK authentication where the handheld failed to authenticate to a second access point (AP) with the same SSID and key.<br />• Fixes issue where the client device packets did not properly route to the target LAN when a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection was made.<br />• Fixes issue where an exception was generated When disconnecting a serial line Internet protocol (SLIP) server session.<br />• Fixes issue where the wrong domain name server (DNS) address was passed to the server when a secondary IP address was assigned.<br />• Fixes issue where the wrong WEP key was used when switching between configured, preferred, WEP-enabled Wi-Fi connections.<br />• Fixes issue with cached pages where a back/forward navigation would not be sent to the Internet.<br />• Fixes issue with URLs that contain semicolons so that they are no longer truncated when sending the GET request over the Wireless Session Protocol.<br />• Fixes the following localization issues: Korean: Fixes issue with contact picker where it did not match Jungseong because asterisk (*) and pound sign (#) key presses were ignored; fixes issue with contact names that were displayed with no comma or space between the Last and First name; fixes issue with the Notification dialog so it is no longer clipped in the Sounds and Notifications Control panel. Romanian: Corrects Daylight Savings Time.

Transfxb
05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
It does include WMP 10.

WARNING 1: because of a typo on HP web site, versions have been inverted. 1.10 (marked as "previous") is the one to be downloaded.

WARNING 2: although version history refers to fixes regarding non-English languages (Japanese, Romanian, Chines, Korean), this update doesn't install on initial French ROM.

Please HP, make it MUCH clear!

TransFXB

petvas
05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
As always this ROM update is available in the English language only... :(

I dont get it why all non-english device owners have to wait a lot more to get updates...

JohnJohn
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/22658.html

So THIS is the correct link???

Transfxb
05-17-2005, 02:33 PM

YES............

Darius Wey
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM

YES............

Sigh. I wish HP would manage their downloads page a little better. Thanks for the heads-up, TransFXB. I'll update the post ASAP.

ipaq_wannabe
05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
As always this ROM update is available in the English language only... :(

I dont get it why all non-english device owners have to wait a lot more to get updates...

i feel the pain...

however, instead of ranting... sadly, i just make due with what i have (waiting for months at end)...

and yes, by the time the upgrade comes - the device is already obsolete...

:cry:

Jereboam
05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
What I would like to know is have they fixed the memory allocation issues with the BT and Wifi drivers. That is the BANE of my life and is one reason this user is thinking about getting a LifeDrive shortly.

Oh well. Will find out this evening I guess.

J'bm

mbassoc2003
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Ok. Does the Rom Update Utility allow you to back up the old Rom Image so that you can backpedal when you find out that your software doesn't work?

I remember updating the 3950 to WM2003 and finding HP had disabled 'cleartype' on the 3900 series to push their 5500 series. I had to revert to the old rom to get cleartype back.

Has anyone noticed what's been removed from the OS? Anything important? Prays silently hoping they've removed ClearVue and put MS Reader in its place :D

Aside.... Does anyone know where I can download a copy of MS Reader that is not version 2.4? Its not on the CD.

crashdau
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
So...Has anyone taken the leap yet :?:

Is it the WM5 update? How much ROM is left over after the update ?

Matilda444
05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
"Windows Media Player 9 Series for Pocket PC Version 9.0.1 Build 14132"

Matilda444
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
&lt;sigh> Since I grabbed the wrong one, I guess I'll do it all over again. Thanks!

Transfxb
05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
What I would like to know is have they fixed the memory allocation issues with the BT and Wifi drivers. That is the BANE of my life and is one reason this user is thinking about getting a LifeDrive shortly.

J'bm

According to version history, yes.

TransFXB

Darius Wey
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Is it the WM5 update? How much ROM is left over after the update ?

No, this isn't the WM5 update. WM5 will most probably be available as a paid-for upgrade, sometime in the second half of this year. As to how much ROM is left over after this update, I'll wait for someone else to answer that since I don't have an hx4700. :)

SHC
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Will I be able to do a back up and restore or will all my programmes have to be but back one by one?

Jereboam
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
OK bugger it I'm bored with work anyway I've put voicemail on and the update's at 3.1%...

crashdau
No, this isn't the WM5 update. WM5 will most probably be available as a paid-for upgrade, sometime in the second half of this year. As to how much ROM is left over after this update, I'll wait for someone else to answer that since I don't have an hx4700. :)

Thanks, Darius. I guess I'll wait...I haven't experienced any real bad issues that would make me want to go thru the re-installation of everything.

I'm sure a restore from backup would work, but, like my handle say...."crash.....Dumb A$$ User" . :oops:

yanathin
What does it mean by "Improved version of Pocket Internet Explorer?" Could they have possibly added the feature to browse in True VGA?

No way.. what was I thinking.

mbassoc2003
I've downloaded and run the file SP29841.exe and it is telling me that it is Rom 1.00.09 and that what is on my hx4700 is 1.00.09. Where is Rom 1.10? Anyone?

Jereboam
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Will I be able to do a back up and restore or will all my programmes have to be but back one by one?

Bad idea to restore across different ROM versions. I recommend installing all your apps over again...

I used the link given and got 1.10.

mbassoc2003
05-17-2005, 03:50 PM

No. It's the other one.

Jonathan1
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
DOH!!

So now the question remains. Wait for 2005 or upgrade now....hmmmm.

If anything this part would be a godsend:

Fixes issue where WiFi connection status was incorrectly indicated for some conditions.

WIFI on the 4700 IMHO sucks! I turn on the radio, go into settings that is the WIFI manager and wait for the network lists to refresh. Heck ever time I've gone into the manager where I've been connected to a hotspot (prior to a soft reset.) the thing shows me as connected still. Wait about a minute and that goes away. Then there is no way of seeing that yes, you really are connected with an IP address other then using 3rd party utilities. The whole ghost access point thing really has turned me off of using WIFI on my Pocket PC for anything other then syncing at home or the occasional on the road sync. So this MAY be worthwhile. :?:

klanum
05-17-2005, 03:55 PM
So which one is the new ROM v 1.10: SP29841.exe or SP29741.exe? :?:

Jonathan1
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM

J'bm

Wait for the 2005 Upgrade. This should fix this problem since they are redoing how RAM\ROM is managed. Also I've never had this problem but I've tweaked the hell out of my device. 90% of my apps are in ROM or storage card leaving a lot of free space on RAM for memory.

JohnJohn
05-17-2005, 03:58 PM

No. It's the other one.

Nope you are incorrect. The file name is SP29841exe. Which that link goes to. I just did the update.

Jereboam
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Likewise, most of my apps are in the filestore and I've spent time moving dlls etc...without fail I have to soft reset to switch BT on if it's off.

Consensus here and on Brighthand is that 841 is the new ROM despite date typos on HP's site.

Jereboam
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
All done. Filestore is at 85.06 megs for you info.

Going to do a "virgin" backup now and then see what they broke...

ctitanic
05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I´ll wait for WM5 upgrade. Two ROMs upgrades in a few months one of another is more than what I´m willing to handle. :D

Matilda444
05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm about half finished restoring software, files, etc. So far, so good.

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I took the leap. I don't really notice any differences at all. The file store shows 81.66MB free...I don't know what it was before.

BTW Thanks to the priest who wrote the free Outlook Duplicate Remover! That saved me a LOT of time.

Menneisyys
05-17-2005, 06:20 PM

You cannot really restore stuff using the built-in backup without some hacking.

BTW, if anyone wants to safely restore his/her (and that of the entire hx4700 community) old backup, just tell me before upgrading your device. I don't have a hx4700 of my own, but would gladly help in generating a 100% upgrade script that makes it possible to restore stuff backed up in the previous ROM version. Then, if I succeed in generating the script, you save yourself (and the entire hx4700 community) the eoffort of reinstalling everything.

See http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=341174 for more info and my prewvious upgrade scripts.

juni
05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
I still have one more piece of software to download - MS Reader - and then I am done (if I only could find my reg. for Tweaks2k...funny I forgot to put it in flexwallet). I haven't noticed any difference either, but then again - everything was working fine before the upgrade. :)

ctitanic
05-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I still have one more piece of software to download - MS Reader - and then I am done (if I only could find my reg. for Tweaks2k...funny I forgot to put it in flexwallet). I haven't noticed any difference either, but then again - everything was working fine before the upgrade. :)

Send me an email ;)

juni
05-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I found it, ctitanic. I had to sign into handango and look at previous orders and there it was. :)

I use it every day to disable the wifi led. :)

Matilda444
05-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Done deal ! I've installed: AIM, AOL, Audible, DiamondMine, Money 2005, PhatPad, Running Voice, Scrabble, Spot, Tetris, Socket WiFi Companion, IBM ViaVoice, Microsoft Reader &amp; eBooks, Miscelleanous Photos/Files/Documents, Pockets Streets and Garmin cfQue 1620.

My only bugaboo thus far is Audible. I have to go back and select the older PocketPC (rather than PocketPC 2003) in order for the Desktop manager to see and use the SD card in the iPAQ.

tigerhunter
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Menneisyys, I am truly interested in the upgrade script that you offered. I have plenty of apps installed, and the simple thought of reinstalling everything by hand gives me the creeps...

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 07:36 PM
:oops: I was reading a post over at Brighthand and realized that HP mislabeled its download, so I didn't notice any difference because I just re-downloaded the original ROM. So...I installed the new ROM.

telengard
05-17-2005, 07:43 PM
I have tried to download that ROM for the last 3 hours and it keeps timing out...

It looks like everybody else is getting it but me.

I'll keep on trying!

Mike

jmbneaf
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Can someone here who has done the update confirm that SE_VGA still works in VGA landscape and portrait modes?

Just checking before upgrading.

Thanks,

-JB

JohnJohn
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Can someone here who has done the update confirm that SE_VGA still works in VGA landscape and portrait modes?

Just checking before upgrading.

Thanks,

-JB

Yup, works in both

alex_kac
05-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Just want to add, the new ROM should have Pocket Informant 5.62 on it.

jmbneaf
05-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Yup, works in both

THANKS!

-JB

DustyLBottoms
05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I guess I'm the first to notice....but I got WPM 10 with the new ROM

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Nope, not the first to notice. Many of us already knew it would be in there.

Sorry, I didn't mention it because I thought everyone knew. My bad.

PR.
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Does this by any chance reduce the hiss from on the headphones?

I'm still running the original rom!

bdavidson9554
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM

That's awesome. Can anyone confirm Alex's *should* to a *does*?

Brian

Matilda444
05-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I've ended up with 5,6,2,0194

jbachandouris
05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
It does have 5.6.2.

I had asked about that in another post, since the display seemed different.

Checked the about section and it is confirmed.

Sully
05-17-2005, 10:50 PM
That wasn't too bad.

OSUKid7
05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
That's great! :D Now Spb Diary will integrate with PI without having to purchase the upgrade.

(what can I say, I don't use PI enough to justify paying for the upgrade.)

alex_kac
05-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Mind Trick: You use PI enough to warrant an upgrade....you use PI enough to warrant an upgrade....

Jereboam
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
rofl@alex

Well, reinstalled all my apps, everything working fine, noticably better performance, probably due to the freshen up more than the actual ROM update...

Wifi performance does seem to be better (quicker to acquire my AP) and the dreaded memory issue with Wifi/BT switching seems to have been cured.

By the way, I installed everything in the filestore except Fitaly, Pocket Plus, WebIS Mail and PI6. All working a treat.

So far so good...!

disconnected
05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm going to try to get brave enough to do the upgrade this weekend. I don't mind so much reinstalling my hundred or so apps; the thing that really scares me is having to redo setting up the connection with my Sprint bluetooth phone (t608). On both my 5500 and my 4700 it took me an age of trial and error and taking out and putting back the phone battery when it froze up (and it's nearly impossible to open the battery compartment). I still don't really know the correct sequence of steps.... both times it just seemed to suddenly pair correctly when it was good and ready. Maybe I don't really need the update. I feel myself chickening out already. :oops:

cesarfong
05-18-2005, 12:23 AM
after 4 tries .. i ve got to flash my rom.. ;)

DustyLBottoms
05-18-2005, 12:26 AM
ANyone else have trouble with MS Reader ater the ROM upgrade?

Jereboam
05-18-2005, 12:26 AM
@Disconnected: go on, you know you want to. What else were you going to do this weekend anyway? ;)

BTW, I can confirm that flashing is fine with AS 4.

Also, the thread over on Brighthand seems to support that the Wifi/BT memory issues have been fixed.

BUMP THAT
05-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Hehe after flashing my 4700 with 1.0 and installing stuff my buddy IM's me that I did the wrong one!! 8O But I got it all all on now and it is great. I love WMP10. :)

Kevin Daly
05-18-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm going to wait until this evening, partly because I'll be home from work then (can't do it while I'm not here to do it), and partly because this morning shortly after I downloaded the file from HP my USB hub decided to go ga-ga, dropping the ActiveSync connection and insisting that all the USB devices were malfunctioning. Great, I finally get a hx4700 update and my USB hub decides to be HAL.
I rebooted and everything has been fine since, but I shudder to think of that happening while I'm in the middle of the update. So I'll make sure everything's still fine before trying the upgrade.

I don't like to contemplate my Precious as a paperweight...

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 03:54 AM
I have tried to download that ROM for the last 3 hours and it keeps timing out...

The server is probably buckling with so many people downloading the update. Give it a few more shots in the next few hours and hopefully it'll start downloading. That is, if you haven't already got it by now. ;)

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 03:56 AM
ANyone else have trouble with MS Reader ater the ROM upgrade?

What's the particular problem? Can't install? Poor rendering in VGA?

Jerry Raia
05-18-2005, 04:37 AM
Alright I have this done and all seems to be well with just about everything reinstalled except I have just gotten the BT resource error when trying to start it. 10mb of memory free should be enough I would think!

juni
05-18-2005, 06:22 AM
I installed MS Reader and it seems to work fine, I even did the authorization but I didn't try any DRM books (since I always buy non-locked versions from fictionwise).

Jereboam
05-18-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm going to wait until this evening, partly because I'll be home from work then (can't do it while I'm not here to do it), and partly because this morning shortly after I downloaded the file from HP my USB hub decided to go ga-ga, dropping the ActiveSync connection and insisting that all the USB devices were malfunctioning. Great, I finally get a hx4700 update and my USB hub decides to be HAL.
I rebooted and everything has been fine since, but I shudder to think of that happening while I'm in the middle of the update. So I'll make sure everything's still fine before trying the upgrade.

I don't like to contemplate my Precious as a paperweight...

The readme does specifically say not to use a hub...plus generally speaking I have had nothing but hassle with hubs and Pocket PCs...better to plug straight in if you can.

Jereboam
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey Juni, new ROM, new skin suite? ;)

You know you want to...

Kevin Daly
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Yikes that was scary!
I got a USB timeout error when it was 78% complete...so I stayed calm, reset the device and tried again...when it got to the 78% mark this time I was talking to the iPAQ encouragingly like someone trying to coax a bewildered cat out of a tree.
I was so relieved when it worked that time.

Well, I definitely have WMP 10 now but so far it's making me feel thick (sorry, cognitively challenged): I can't work out how to create new playlists and the new features are cunningly hiding themselves from me. Oh well.

Does anyone know whether this update includes SP3 of .NETCF 1.0?
I installed my blogging program (obviously I'm going to install my own software, eh?) and was frankly shocked by how quickly the main form came up - I didn't notice any delay at all. For the Compact Framework that's really something.

tigerhunter
05-18-2005, 08:59 AM
...if anyone wants to safely restore his/her (and that of the entire hx4700 community) old backup, just tell me before upgrading your device. I don't have a hx4700 of my own, but would gladly help in generating a 100% upgrade script that makes it possible to restore stuff backed up in the previous ROM version. Then, if I succeed in generating the script, you save yourself (and the entire hx4700 community) the eoffort of reinstalling everything.

I am just waiting for Menneisyy's script to install the ROM update. Probably later this week...

Jereboam
05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Yikes that was scary!
I got a USB timeout error when it was 78% complete...so I stayed calm, reset the device and tried again...when it got to the 78% mark this time I was talking to the iPAQ encouragingly like someone trying to coax a bewildered cat out of a tree.
I was so relieved when it worked that time.

Well, I definitely have WMP 10 now but so far it's making me feel thick (sorry, cognitively challenged): I can't work out how to create new playlists and the new features are cunningly hiding themselves from me. Oh well.

I installed my blogging program (obviously I'm going to install my own software, eh?) and was frankly shocked by how quickly the main form came up - I didn't notice any delay at all. For the Compact Framework that's really something.

Watching it tick up by 0.1% increments is heart stopping...I always get a sweat on when it reaches 99% and freezes for a few seconds...longest seconds ever.

I read somewhere that SP3 is there.

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 11:57 AM

It's quite a change from WMP9 Mobile. As you go on to use it, you'll find some features that you wish WMP9 Mobile had all along, but then again, you'll also find some features in WMP9 Mobile that you wish WMP10 Mobile had. When Microsoft added a few features, they seemed to take out a couple as well. It bites. :|

For simplicity's sake, you can use this to check it: http://www.kasuei.com/netcfversion/

PhilH
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Installed it without hitch and I'm very pleased. There's still the headphone hiss BUT:

* I've had WiFi and Bluetooth running simultaneously with a number of other apps without memory problems.

* Everything seems to load up much more quickly after a soft reset (I have PI6, Calligrapher, PocketBreeze, Wisbar Advance 2, iLauncher, WeatherPanel, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all).

* WMP 10! (Great once you've sussed it out...)

jmbneaf
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I installed MS Reader and it seems to work fine, I even did the authorization but I didn't try any DRM books (since I always buy non-locked versions from fictionwise).I keep getting a "the book cannot be found error"

Did you install to main memory, file store, or a CF/SD card?

Thanks - JB

Techtoys
05-18-2005, 03:21 PM
• Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer

Anyone found what the improvements are yet? I can't find any.

juni
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
I installed MS Reader to main memory. All my books are on SD card.

Menneisyys
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
My tutorial and registry upgrade is ready and is working great so far. Please check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=345221 .

tigerhunter
05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
My tutorial and registry upgrade is ready and is working great so far.

It really is! Thank you so much. You saved me a few hours of reloading all my apps. Question: I did not get any message saying that the registry has been sucessfuly updated, just a view of the registry. Is that somewhat expected?

bdavidson9554
05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
• Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer

Anyone found what the improvements are yet? I can't find any.

Part of me wonders if this was supposed to read:

• Provides an improved Pocket Informant

What else could HP have done to PIE?

Brian

Thras
05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
I, just tried upgrading to the new ROM and had it fail. The update stopped almost immediately after starting and now I am stuck at the bootloader. When I try to run the update again, i am prompted to plug the device into AC power, even though it already is.

I have tried to hard reset the device with no luck. Does anyone know if ther is an option in the hpruu.ini file that can be used to bypass the AC power check? Or another option to communicate with the ipaq to get it out of the bootloader?

Here is the contents of the ini:

;
; Automatic mode?
; 0 - No
; 1 and above - Yes
;
AUTOMATIC=0

;
; OS Image file name
; Specify full path or no path to indicate use current directory
;
OS_IMAGE=hx4700_11008_ENG_RC_AKU26.nbf

;
; FORCED GUI Language (optional)
; Specify the language to use for User Interface. This overrides all other language settings
; e.g. ENG, GER, ITA, FRA, SPA, PTB, CHS, CHT, KOR, JPN
;
FORCED_LANGUAGE=ENG

;
; GUI Language (optional)
; Specify the language to use for User Interface if the Language Dlls for OS locale can not be found
;
LANGUAGE=ENG

nitestrike
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I also got the message about not having the iPAQ hooked up to AC Power. I had to use a different computer, once the dock was hooked to the other computer the upgrade ran just fine.

Menneisyys
05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
My tutorial and registry upgrade is ready and is working great so far.

It really is! Thank you so much. You saved me a few hours of reloading all my apps. Question: I did not get any message saying that the registry has been sucessfuly updated, just a view of the registry. Is that somewhat expected?

Then, it most probably wasn't imported. Did you start the registry editor (which one? Resco? Tascal?) before clicking the registry file? Then, they don't import it. The solution is exiting these programs, and clicking the file again.

You can also force the import by going to File/Import in Resco and File/Import Registry... in Tascal. If they can't see the registry import file from there, just copy the file into \My Documents.

tigerhunter
05-18-2005, 10:22 PM
You can also force the import by going to File/Import in Resco and File/Import Registry... in Tascal. If they can't see the registry import file from there, just copy the file into \My Documents.

Tascal tells me that the registry was imported succesfully. Is that all I should get?

Thras
05-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I also got the message about not having the iPAQ hooked up to AC Power. I had to use a different computer, once the dock was hooked to the other computer the upgrade ran just fine.

Thanks,

That seems to have done the trick... 80% and counting.

tigerhunter
05-19-2005, 05:00 AM
This is odd... after intsalling the ROM update my bluetooth high quality audio protocol does not work, and WMP does not allow me to transfer to my PDA my purchased songs from MSN. Am I the only one having these problems?

Menneisyys
05-19-2005, 06:09 AM

Tascal tells me that the registry was imported succesfully. Is that all I should get?

Yes, then, it's all OK.

You could check whether it really worked, though: just look up a registry key containing 'DRM' or .3gp (that is, one that was not present in the previous registry) nd, with the registry editor, just check whether it's there.

Menneisyys
05-19-2005, 06:16 AM
This is odd... after intsalling the ROM update my bluetooth high quality audio protocol does not work, and WMP does not allow me to transfer to my PDA my purchased songs from MSN. Am I the only one having these problems?

Did you try re-pairing your Hi-Fi headset with your device? My experience is that sometimes you need to re-pair your stuff after a backup restore.

As for WMP: do check whether Tascal has really imported the regfile described in the message above. The new registry contains tons of DRM-related stuff and their lack would most probably mean the inability to use DRM (or any of the new WMP10 features) on the PDA.

Ifd they're present and it still doesn't work (while they do on a freshly hard reset, upgraded device, under exactly the same circumstances), then, we've found the first real bug in this upgrade.

tigerhunter
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
You could check whether it really worked, though: just look up a registry key containing 'DRM' or .3gp (that is, one that was not present in the previous registry) nd, with the registry editor, just check whether it's there.
I found two keys labeled DRM.Getlicense, but none containing .3pg. Should I try again using Resco?

As far as the bluetooth audio protocol I re-paired my devices without no problem. However, my ipaq still fails to connect to the headset. I tried it several times. In the bottom bar of the bluetooth manager the bluetooh icon has a large yellow asterisk. I do not recall it being in there before. What is it about?

Menneisyys
05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
I found two keys labeled DRM.Getlicense, but none containing .3pg.

It's .3gp, not .3pg, as in the newly-introduced key

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.3gp]
@="3gpfile"
"Content Type"="video/3gpp"

As far as the bluetooth audio protocol I re-paired my devices without no problem. However, my ipaq still fails to connect to the headset.

Well, frankly, I don't know: I don't have a Wi-Fi headset, I can't test it. If you have some free time and it doesn't cause you any trouble, could you please hard reset your device and, without restoring the old backup, try to use the headset with the iPAQ. That way, we can see whether it's a problem with the new ROM (there're numerous incompatibilities, see for example the BH hx4700 forum) or the over the ROM upgrade restoring process.

jmirabil
05-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Wel, I did it. The file switch I noticed, and loaded the right one, 1.10.08. Loaded the first time. I was DREADING the reloading of all my files. so in murphy's law fashion, after I decided to do it the forum poster Menneisyys wisely and gratefully posted a great script to avoid this pain at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=345221 .
I wish I read that before. Since I have a backup of my old iPAQ filestore and my old system, takern just before the ypgrade.. I think I'll try it anyways!

Remarks on the new ROM. After having spent about 3 hours and upgrading 75% of my apps, I find this rom update lacking. WMP10 has some new features, but I really liked the usability of WMP9 as well. I went throgh the same thing on my XP desktop with WMP9->10.

The Bluetooth memory problems are still there. This is majorly frustrating. Granted I use SIPs like Calligrapher and the Goamo VGA keyboard, but still--load bluetooth, then load a sip aned a few programs the BT is dead/unloadable w/o a soft reset. Even if you UNLOAD AL you loaded, BT is still unloadable. This is LOUSY memory management.

I tell you, this will be my benchmark before upgrading again--can I load BT and a few key programs like calligrapher/betaplayer/vga keyboard SIP/Resco Explorer and then unload/reload BT. If that works, then I'll try then BT + WIFI with the same test. Only if both passes then I'll upgrade.

Many thanks Menneisyys--I'm off to try your procedure... -Jonathan

tigerhunter
05-19-2005, 08:12 PM
I found two .3gp keys, so I assume that the registry patch worked. However the problem with the WM files it's still there. To my amusement, WM in full screen displays to the other side now.

Kevin Daly
05-19-2005, 09:58 PM
For simplicity's sake, you can use this to check it: http://www.kasuei.com/netcfversion/

(I feel this odd urge to give HP a pat on the head)

Jereboam
05-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Well after a couple of days now, a few comments -

1. Machine is much snappier overall.
2. BT/Wifi issues fully resolved.
3. WMP10 is nice. I just hope BetaPlayer gets updated to work too.
4. I'm happy with my 4700 again.

Seems some people aren't having so much luck...sorry guys.

nitestrike
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I went to use PIE Pocket Plus tab windows and jusr re-drew the screen. Anyone else having issue or able to test it out for me. And yes I uupdated the ROM. :D

Jereboam
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Using MultiIE here which does similar things and no problems with screen redraws...

nitestrike
05-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Sorry about that let me be a bit more clear. When I click the new window/tab option in PIE using Pocket Plus the screen just redraws and I still have no tabs.

Jereboam
05-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Huh I tried using Pocket Plus' tabs before I reinstalled MultiIE and they worked fine...P+ is one of those things that really needs to be installed in main memory, so that's my first question...

I would try perhaps reinstalling if you keep having problems.

J'bm

mhowie
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Is anyone having issues with battery performance post-update? There a couple of posts to that effect over on the Brighthand boards and I wonder if the issue is isolated or not...

Thanks,

Jereboam
05-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Seems OK so far...

&lt;wanders over to Brighthand>

Jerry Raia
05-20-2005, 04:28 PM
No battery problems here either.

Greybard
05-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Any of you having problems with the new 4700 ROM and it's PIE, some pages don't work right...

yp.qwestdex.com for one, if you fill in the blacks and click find, it doesn't go anywhere...

Do I need to reflash or is this happening to others?

GB

Darius Wey
05-30-2005, 03:30 AM
yp.qwestdex.com for one, if you fill in the blacks and click find, it doesn't go anywhere...

This isn't an hx4700 specific problem. The same can be seen with PIE on other Pocket PCs. It all comes down to PIE hating the HTML formatting used.

MadBison
05-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Jereboam, are you saing that BetaPlayer does not work on the new 1.10?

If thats the case, I will give it a miss, even though this update will fix a lot of my problems. BetaPlayer is the thing I use the most now.

?1) Does anyone know if WMP10 will allow variable speed playing? I listen to spoken word mp3's at 140%.

?2) Also, does it allow variable skip forward and backward? I am always skipping back 10, 20, 30 seconds to catch what the lecturer was saying, especially when taking notes.

?3) and lastly, does it allow keymapping to the above functions that work no matter if WMP10 is the foreground app? I need to do this skipping and speed change while making notes in Pocket word.

Thanks
David

Well after a couple of days now, a few comments -

1. Machine is much snappier overall.
2. BT/Wifi issues fully resolved.
3. WMP10 is nice. I just hope BetaPlayer gets updated to work too.
4. I'm happy with my 4700 again.

Seems some people aren't having so much luck...sorry guys.

oonkean
06-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi ,

Does anyone happen to have the English ROM for HX4700 v1.0 ? I upgraded my HX4700 to ROM v1.1 , but it is giving me quite some problem with WIFI.

It just takes much longer to scan and connect to the WIFI router. And WIFI seems to be very buggy. When I turn on WIFI , the button turns green , even though it is not connected yet. On ROM v 1.0 , it will only turn green when the PDA is connected.

Not very happy with this new update.

I want to roll back to the previous version , but HP web site only provides ROM 1.0 for German , Chinese , etc .. but not English.

Anyone can help me out here (perhaps you happen to download the ROM v1.0 before HP removed from their site) ?

Thanks !

Kean