View Full Version : A Look at ActiveSync 4.0...From an HPC Owner (!?)

Jason Dunn
05-11-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/microsoft/activesync-4/' target='_blank'>http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/so...t/activesync-4/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"When it comes down to it, you either love it or hate it. ActiveSync is one of those programs through which your experience will be sound and trouble free, or will be dogged by problems of the type that you loose hair for. If you are the latter, then you probably dread those few seconds that pass each time you cradle your Handheld PC - Locating connection agent Connecting to Host - Connecting...So now as the entire industry holds its breath on the precipice of the promised realm of 64-bit computing, and consumer IT devices become increasingly more and more complex, increasingly more powerful it is almost time for Microsoft to shake up the way its Portable Devices interact with the workstation, and to do this, once again they are placing their eggs in the basket of an old friend... ActiveSync."</i><br /><br />Chris Tilley at HPC Factor has done an in-depth article looking at ActiveSync 4.0. It's worth a read, but the feeling I get when reading it is that this is one of those "We used all our resources to re-build it from scratch but didn't end up with something as functional as the previous version. Maybe next time" scenarios. ;-) Remember, <a href="http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=software&id=28325 ">if you happen to find a link to the file</a>, you'll lose WiFi sync, so step cautiously.

R K
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Is it out of the question to hope that WM5 is compatible with ActiveSync 3.8?

Jason Dunn
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Is it out of the question to hope that WM5 is compatible with ActiveSync 3.8?

Yup. :wink: WM5 devices require AS 4.0.

TheWolfen
05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Very interesting article. I completely agree with this statement (quoted from the article): Loosing remote access support - unless remedied quickly through a broad solution which covers legacy users right down to the lowest common denominator - could prove a fatal mistake for Microsoft Windows Mobile.
This loss of functionality is pretty pathetic and completely inexcusable, especially given how they try to increase WiFi support in general.

Jon Westfall
05-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Remember, if you happen to find a link to the file (http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=software&id=28325 ), you'll lose WiFi sync, so step cautiously.

Gee, can't figure out where one would run across that file...

Why is it that even though I don't use WiFi Sync, and hate ActiveSync 3, I really don't want to lose THE ABILITY to wifi sync by playing with this version? I guess I'm just one of those people who thinks you should never lose functionality in an upgrade (Which is why Win XP Home bothered me so much).

Jon.

WorksForTurkeys
05-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Has MS made any statement (&amp; if so, what) about AS 4 dropping WiFi support? Is this in preparation for a MS proprietary wireless protocol? maybe WiFiMS? :wink:

JohnJohn
05-12-2005, 02:20 AM
losing network sync....SUCKS!!!!! ahh I feel better, a little

This link works:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/4/5/c45f8f83-6383-43d7-840b-cb9638484e4d/setup.exe

lapchinj
05-12-2005, 02:37 AM
I came off the AS4 thread with the intent of trying AS4 but I was unable to find the intall file (I don't know why it couldn't be found). But I'm glad I read Chris' great review first. I guess I'll let it slide for a while to see what happens with it. I was willing to try it even though I still think that dropping WiFi was really stupid.

I'm looking at buying an Axim x50v which seems super cool and I think that I'll make the purchase before Dell starts to load WM5 on them. If I decide that I want to make the move to WM5 I'll flash the ROM then instead of getting stuck with some OS that might have gotchas like those in AS4 (no WiFi etc).

I would still like to hear a good reason (but an honest one) of why MS pulled WiFi. Really Dumb. I would also love to know under what conditions and using what criteria that decision was made :drinking:

Jeff-

ethancaine
05-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Seems a lot like ActiveSync 3.9 to me.

MWWeston
05-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I tried AS 4.0. No Avantgo does not sync through AS. It will not save my Avantgo settings in AS 4.0. I can still sync directly from the PocketPC. I tried with with Avantgo 3.3 and 5.7.

stevelam
05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I tried AS 4.0. No Avantgo does not sync through AS. It will not save my Avantgo settings in AS 4.0. I can still sync directly from the PocketPC. I tried with with Avantgo 3.3 and 5.7.

Same here. Maybe Avantgo will produce an update soon :lol:

jfreiman
05-12-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm having the same problem and came to this thread for a 'sulution' - well, no solution, yet - but at least I'm not alone.

jfreiman
05-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Ahhh, I also find that I can not sync my IE Favorites either.

This is really strange.