View Full Version : In defense of Jason and PPCT

Damion Chaplin
03-23-2005, 01:39 AM
It seems like there's a lot of Jason bashing going around today and I think it's totally unwarranted.

Pocket PC Thoughts is by far the best PPC site on the net. Slowly, one by one, I stopped visiting all the other sites I read because this one was just clearly superior to all of them. I won't mention those other sites by name, but I will say that their editors frequent the forums here often. That's pretty telling to me...

And while I don't know Jason personally, I must say that he has taken this whole WM2005/NDA issue very well. He has shrugged off many personal attacks today. I know I wouldn't be as cool-headed. Jason could just have easily been a jerk about it, but he didn't. He opened the discussion to us all. That takes some serious mivoks.

So before you light that torch for some good flamin', consider where you would be without sites as informative as this one.

I apologize if this borders too close to brown-nosing for some of you. This site is by far my favorite site on the net and I hate to see it trashed for [IMHO] no reason.

Thanks for your attention. :D

P.S.: Has anyone seen the WM2005 post that started all of this? Talk about a non-issue... :sleeping:

surur
03-23-2005, 02:24 AM
P.S.: Has anyone seen the WM2005 post that started all of this? Talk about a non-issue... :sleeping:

PS: Why exactly do you think its a non-issue? This is the first glimpse we have had of the OS update we have been waiting 2-3 years for. Is that not significant? In this OS MS will finally address usability issues, such as one handed usage and make the device non-volatile, and therefore immune to hard reset via low battery. This is MAJOR STUFF (or are you perfectly happy without these features?)

PPS: Yes, Jason has been amazingly cool today.

Surur

Ripper014
03-23-2005, 02:45 AM
I didn't really see any attacks on Jason... and I believe the polster had some valid points... even if he/she choose to hide behind a new name.

Ideally it would be great if a site was detached from all other companies... allowing them to post within reason what they wanted. And with nothing to imply any bias... however... in most cases sites need help to continue running... such as paid advertising and the such.

PPCThoughts is what it is... there are other sites, most with the same limitations... so what we have is what it is... maybe not ideal, but still a pretty good source of information.

shawnc
03-23-2005, 03:45 AM
I don't see it either. It's possible that I've missed something in the numerous postings, but I don't see where Jason has been attacked or even had to exhibit a higher than normal level of patience. Most of us agree that this is a great site, EASILY the best one going. Most of us also understand Jason being bound by an NDA. AFAICT, most of the discussion has centered around the value of having MVP status. I'm sure being an MVP has its advantages, and appears to be somewhat related to technical skill, making it an honor. But I've got to admit that as a member of this community for a few years, we have been complaining loud and clear about many of the same issues and my impression is that MS doesn't listen. I've read responses to the effect that "MS has smart people working for them, and that there isn't anything we've suggested that they haven't already thought of". Well dammit, fix them. Alarms that don't work, an AS that borders on horrible, pocket word that is the biggest joke ever, etc. C'mon!

My point is not to bash MS and DEFINITELY not to bash this site. It is simply to point out that the discussion has stayed well within the bounds of civility and the points raised seem reasonable. I just don't see where the discourse has necessitated anyone coming to Jason's defense, but to each his own.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the support imperium999!

And to shawnc, trust me, there were a few posts that forced me to restrain myself more than a little - it's tough to not get defensive when someone tells you that being an MVP for seven years means nothing and doesn't help the community at all. The Windows Mobile community is more than just this site, and it's more than a little self-centered to assume that the ONLY important thing is this site. :roll:

JvanEkris
03-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I think that this is a "what goes on behind the stage" poblem.

A lot of the good work that is done by MVP's is done behind the stage, where nobody can see it. in the end, the performers (Microsoft) put on a hopefully good performance with a good product. In order not to spoil the surprises during that performance the crew that is working behind the stage should keep their mouths shut to the public.

IMHO, this requires trust. The public should trust that the crew behind the scenes does a good job. Trust that not spoiling the surprises is in the best interest of the general public. The public will find out sooner or later, but only in a smooth running well-rehearsed show, and not by "spoilers" of half-failing experiments or rumours.

Being part of the crew behind the scenes instead of the critics is only a decission people can make for themselves. It's a role persons like best. The critics can only critisize after a performance, but can do it openly with only the hope of being heard. The crew behind the scenes, supporting the real artists, can directly influence the show, but may not tell about the comming surprises........

Jaap

shawnc
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
The Windows Mobile community is more than just this site, and it's more than a little self-centered to assume that the ONLY important thing is this site. :roll:

I don't know what this means. I'm not being coy or snide or anything. I really don't know. Are you saying I'm being self-centered?

I didn't see the post in which you refer and if someone demeaned my being a CPA, I would likely take offense as well. But if someone raised the question as to whether my employer benefits from me being a CPA, it would be a legitimate point of discussion. I think they do, but it's certainly reasonable for someone to raise the point.

I didn't see where anyone took shots at you personally. I did see where the question was raised (in an indirect manner) as to whether the site benefited from your having MVP status. Whether one agrees or disagrees, it didn't seem like an unreasonable point of discussion. If that is what offended you then that's a little suprising. But I don't get to stand in judgement of what you should find offensive. The important point is that you obviously were and as such, I stand corrected.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't know what this means. I'm not being coy or snide or anything. I really don't know. Are you saying I'm being self-centered?

No, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to those who were claiming my MVP status wasn't of benefit to this community.

Don't Panic!
03-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Not just his status either, any MVP's. God I miss the old days. We would have burned them into the ground. :pukeface: :takethat:

Now everybody's all nice except for a few throwbacks. < sighs >

Damion Chaplin
03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
PS: Why exactly do you think its a non-issue? This is the first glimpse we have had of the OS update we have been waiting 2-3 years for. Is that not significant? In this OS MS will finally address usability issues, such as one handed usage and make the device non-volatile, and therefore immune to hard reset via low battery. This is MAJOR STUFF (or are you perfectly happy without these features?)

No, I haven't been perfectly happy without these features, but I feel these are features that should have been included from the beginning. More stability? Why was it unstable in the first place? I prefer that companies release software that's ready for mass-consumption (and by that I mean usable to my 60-year-old dad). It's the same old story for MS. The main reason why XP was such a boon was that it was STABLE - A 'feature' that should have been in every 32-bit version of Windows from the beginning (I can forgive them for Win3.X). [OK, end of rant]

So, no, I'm not too excited about WM2005... But that's just me. You should feel free to be excited about it. :D

Don't Panic!
03-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Rumors have been floating around for months already. Since last year even. Use google, there's plenty of unsubstantiated stuff out there.

surur
03-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Rumours have been floating around for months already. Since last year even. Use google, there's plenty of unsubstantiated stuff out there.

Now thoroughly substantiated ;)

Surur