View Full Version : SD card inexplicably erased

socrates63
03-04-2005, 05:12 AM
I have a 256MB SD card and a 1GB CF card in my 2215. One day everything's fine, and the next, the entire content of the SD card is erased save for the ignore_my_documents (or something like that). I don't know what happened :? . The SD card is where I stored all my files and installed the majority of my programs.

I searched the forums and it looks like this sort of thing has happened to others. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a solution to the problem. Looks like everyone just accepted his or her losses and moved on... which is what I've done as well. It's given me a chance to re-evaluate which software is critical for me and my PPC (Spb Software House rocks!).

I did a hard reset and decided to use the CF card this time to install programs and store data. I've never had anything like this happen with the CF slot in all my years with the PPC -- knock on wood.

So the lesson here is... backup backup backup... not that everyone doesn't know this already ;)

zilla31
03-05-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah man this crap has happened to me twice in the last year (on 2 different SD cards). talk about a nightmare. SPRITE BACKUP TO THE RESCUE!

Orbsplateau
03-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I searched the forums and it looks like this sort of thing has happened to others. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a solution to the problem. Looks like everyone just accepted his or her losses and moved on... which is what

well, there is something you can try.

This happened to me once on my PDA... (a few files just disappeared from my SD card).

luckily, I had a program called Photorescue. I had sometimes used it to recover corrupt files from my digital camera (it's called "photorescue" but it can recover any file - regardless of its format).

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

a real life-saver and well worth the cost.

socrates63
03-07-2005, 08:47 AM
luckily, I had a program called Photorescue. I had sometimes used it to recover corrupt files from my digital camera (it's called "photorescue" but it can recover any file - regardless of its format).

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

a real life-saver and well worth the cost.
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the demo and tried it after reading your post.

It was able to recover most of my photos, but what I really wanted to recover were doc files and a few other data files. It partially recovered one doc file and that was about it. It didn't do much for me but it is an interesting program.

Tye
03-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry this won't help you much but...
What you described happened numerous times when I had a 2215. Since I switched to a 4705 a few months back this has not happened once.
I am inclined to believe that it might be a 2215 bug.

rediss01
03-08-2005, 12:19 AM
I had the same problem with my 2210 when I first started using a SD card instead of a CF card.
Not sure of a fix for it, but I now regularly check for that ignore_my_documents file and if it's there I delete it straight away, seems to avouid the problem from happening.

rediss01
03-08-2005, 03:10 AM
I actually just found this article by Ed Hansberry whilst browsing around this site:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,2863

It discusses the issue and gives a resolution for the problem.

Hope this helps

socrates63
03-08-2005, 04:50 AM
I actually just found this article by Ed Hansberry whilst browsing around this site:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,2863

It discusses the issue and gives a resolution for the problem.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the link. I'll create a My Documents folder on all the storage cards. Hopefully that will solve things. It's interesting that the problem seems to be isolated to SD cards... not much mention of CF cards.

zilla31
03-08-2005, 07:50 PM
i've had this happen to me once or twice too on my 4150 w/ an SD card... what a pain in the a**!! i backup regularly w/ sprite backup but lately the software is on the fritz so i'm freaking out nervous until their support can help me get it going again (properly)...

i did read through this though and delete my ignore_my_docs (since i do have a My Documents folder on my SD card)... hope that will help!