View Full Version : What's on your pocket PC? Any software you can't live without?

Orbsplateau
03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
What are some of most useful programs you've installed on your PocketPC?

Here's my list:
PocketMind pocket music player (freeware)
Great MP3 player. Easy to use.
You can turn screen off while listening to music.

Applian Picture Perfect v5.01 or Resco Picture Viewer
simple picture viewer. nice slideshow mode.

PIM:
SPB Time v.1.1
Worldtime, timers, countdowns, multiple alarms (can choose own alarm sound/music file+repeat)

SuperAlert v.1.21 (sort of like a plug-in)
I would always miss my calender reminders before this program. Now I have loud alarms... that REPEAT.

bugMe
cute program for taking down quick "post-it" notes.

Calendar Plus (freeware - today screen plug-in)
Detailed view

NoteM / Resco Audio recorder
I use both programs at different times.
Great for recording lecture notes in class. (can record in mp3 format)

General Aps:
Lextionary English Dictionary v2.0.
I'd highly recommend it. the program feels and looks like a nice webpage (i.e. clicking on words is like clicking on links). Just disable "cleartype" (in he program's own settings) for a better visual experience.

PocketStreets 2004/2005
use it often. always handy.

pocket Quicken
makes my bookeeping a lot easier at the end of the year... but you need Quicken for PC to make good use of this.

DiamondMine (a.k.a bejeweled.)
I don't really play games on my pocket PC, but this is a GREAT puzzle game. Have had it for 2 years... it's still fun.

You don't have to list everything... just 1 or 2 programs that have made your PocketPc an even more versatile tool.

Hrun
03-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Spb Pocket plus
Pocket informant

These are the ones I have paid for

Milometer

This was a freebie with my Ipaq

Textmaker & Planmaker will be purchased when I have the money to pay for programs that should have been standard in windows mobile

Calender +
Taskplus

Freebies I could not manage without

I am trying to use my Pda as a business tool first instead of the Multi media toy it does too well

yankeejeep
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
In the order they get installed:

Tweaks2k2.Net - very potent hacking made very simple through a nicely-organized interface
MemMaid - a clean PPC is a happy PPC
ClearVue Office Suite - free with my Toshiba, but you can buy the individual viewers to get native Office file viewing in a small footprint
TextMaker - the only real word processor for the WM platform
PlanMaker - about as close as I have found to real Excel in your hand
Resco File Explorer - leaves the MS version in the dust
BinaryFish Mobile Crossword - NY Times and LA Times puzzles for the commute
Laridian PocketBible - with this and TextMaker, I work on my thesis during the commute, too
ScreenToggle - a free app that lets you toggle your screen between completely off (not just the backlight) and on while the device continues to run, a real battery saver when your doing something like listening to music
SE_VGA - a free display app that gives real VGA display real estate on my e805 for those times that I really want it, but is easy to turn off
Calc98 - a free replacement for the anemic WM calculator that actually does more things than figure a tip
Taipei - for those times I can't do anything more complicated than see what pictures match

If the backup up that comes on your device doesn't support backing up and restoring from a memory card, definitely get Sprite Backup. You may want this anyway since many devices have a very stripped-down version of this very app as their included backup utility.

If you have ClearVue viewers, then a printing app can come in very handy. HP Mobile Printing is free and Westtek (the ClearVue maker) has JetCET. If you have Adobe Reader, the HP app ties into it for printing of PDF files. The Westtek app lets you print to some standard USB printers.

FrozenIpaq
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Les see....
1.) Wisbar Advance 2.x: Overall, the most appreciated program i use. Great for personalizing your PPC!
2.) SPB Pocket Plus 2: Use for today plugin
3.) Resco File Explorer: Great for File Exploring and File opening
4.) Pocket Artist: Greatest imaging editor for PPC, costs alot.....
5.) Pocket Music: Great Music Player
6.) Pocket Breeze: Great for displaying stuff on today screen, great for school tasks

njl2016
03-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I think the most important program that I have on my PPC is the backup software that came preinstalled in my iPAQs ROM. (Sprite Backup) It has saved me many times. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I also just recently bought NetFront 3.1 and it is way better than Pocket IE will ever be.

Orbsplateau
03-03-2005, 12:28 AM
wow... this is good.

I really didn't realize how good some of these programs were:
Planmaker
textmaker
SPB pocket plus
Wisbar Advance

I'm curious to see what other people have to suggest.

As soon as we have a few more posts, we can probably compile a "recommended software list" for the pocket PC (including the username of the people who recommended each program?)

They have a large software list here:
http://pocketpccentral.net/software.htm

but it'd be good to see what people are actually using.

Deemo
03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Here is my list:

Cirond's Pocktwince
for detecting wifi networks/hotspots

Ilium's Ewallet
for thinning my George Castanza wallet

Pocket Streets
Microsoft does actually make a good app

Betaplayer
FREE ...and a great movie player!

GSPlayer
For listening to streaming music over my wifi network - also free!

Resco File Explorer
Great file app and ftp client

List Pro
Don't use it a wholw bunch but a great and nicely written software

NOTE: I am still looking for a decent piece of software for Expense Tracking. I haven't found a good one yet!

Kowalski
03-03-2005, 09:03 AM
pocket informant for PIM and windows media player for mp3.
thats all

Orbsplateau
03-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Here is my list:

NOTE: I am still looking for a decent piece of software for Expense Tracking. I haven't found a good one yet!

have you tried SPB finance or PocketQuicken?

zilla31
03-03-2005, 02:37 PM
pocketbreeze, contact breeze
ilauncher
wisbar adv 2
cash organizer, moneysync
mobipocket
agenda fusion
code wallet
egress
webIS mail
trip tracker
listpro
iGuidance (for use w/ BT GPS)
memmaid, tweaks2k, sprite backup

:mrgreen:

Deemo
03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Here is my list:

have you tried SPB finance or PocketQuicken?

I am just looking for something for quick and dirty business expense tracking.
I tried Quicken for my personal stuff years ago and decided I needed to get a life rather than tracking every penny that left my account.

Lex
03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
This question gets posted about every other month so don't forget to search for the past responses. I learn about software I've never heard of each time this comes up.

zilla31
03-03-2005, 04:45 PM
yeah i agree... the past posts are def worthwile but it's also nice to revitalize it every once in a while w/ new(er) software/lists.

Lex
03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
... had to go think... My 'majors' are: Pocket Breeze & Contact Breeze (puts appointments, tasks and contacts on your Today screen and you can quick-access and edit them from there), Pocket Informant, Wisbar Advance 2, Resco Audio Recorder, Resco File Explorer, Sprite Backup, cLaunch, Pocket Bible (Laridian).

GSmith
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
My news reading and podcast listening setup includes two programs installed on my PPC:

FeederReader - downloads RSS feeds, podcasts, videocasts
BetaPlayer - plays most videocasts I've tried, great EQ and speed control.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
Catches video, too!
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road.

socrates63
03-04-2005, 05:21 AM
I did a hard reset on my 2215 just yesterday and it's given me a chance to re-evaluate my critical apps.

Spb Pocket Plus
Pocket Informant
Iliumsoft eWallet
Laridian PocketBible
Dinar MemMaid
Spb Weather
Spb Finance
Spb Time
Codecity CityTime
PI Today
Astraware Bejeweled

This is probably about half of what was installed previously on my 2215. I'll probably install a few more things (BetaPlayer is next) in the coming days, but these are pretty much the ones that I have to have... especially Pocket Informant, PI Today, Spb Finance, eWallet, PocketBible.

uzetaab
03-04-2005, 06:00 AM
I like the posts best that tell you what the apps do or why you use them. Here's mine:

in order of importance

Navman SmartST v3.
One of the most expencive s/w items you can buy. I better bloody need it.
GPS street level navigation. Unlike the US version, the Aus version comes with the whole country on one 128mb SD card. I moved to a new city 2 years ago, it's been invaluable. They do bluetooth, but I bought the PDA.

Win Media Player.
Free
I'm still looking for a replacement. Beta player runs out of memory when running Navman.
*Edit* I had another look at Beta player & found that there is an option to increase the memory buffer for the program in the player settings page. Works perfectly. So, my music player is now officially Beta player, & it's free.

Mobipocket Reader.
Free, although I upgraded to pro.
Media costs $ though
I hate reading printed books now.

Audible.
Free
Media costs $$$ though
Audiobook player. I couldn't get to work without it.

SPB Pocket Plus.
average price
Love the today plug in, batt indicator, close button enhancement.

I still use the MS Contacts, Tasks & calandar.
free
They work well enough for me.

Flexwallet 2005.
average price
Very handy secure app for storing financial details passwords etc.

Pocket Clock v1.14
Cheap
Clocks, World time, Alarms, Timers, stop watch, Moon phases, Sunrise & sunset.

GeniusPro
I forget what it's worth
I got it in the xmas Handango free give away. It converts every measurement I can think of. Great for understanding you old fashioned imperialist americans. JK

Yeah, good topic. I'm off to try some of the suggested s/w.

uzetaab
03-04-2005, 08:41 AM
So far I've tried Tweaks2k2.
I would have bought it already, but Paypal is down for maintainance until 2am pst.
Calandar+
Fantastic freeware. I haven't seen my today screen without a scrollbar for months. It does a good job of compressing appointment screen space.

Menneisyys
03-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I also recommend the following, related topics:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111132 : 4700 - VGA Software List (Total 89 sw)
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110746 : List of VGA hacks/tricks/tips
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33696 : Whats the top 6 most used programs you use on your PPC?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34277 : What's your ONE "Under the Radar" favorite few have used or tried?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34031 : Freeware so good it should be charged for
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116698 (freeware)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22031 (generic)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16802 (generic)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13814 (generic)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33917 (Money)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25973 (Wallet)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16855 (Database)

Orbsplateau
03-05-2005, 08:35 AM
I forgot about to mention it earlier... but a program that use often (at least once or twice a week) is Lextionary English Dictionary v2.0. I'd highly recommend it.

There's also a program called "Remote Display Control for Pocket PC" and it's one of MS's PowerToys (i think simial programs are also available from 3rd party developers).

I can't say that I use it all the time... but I've somehow managed to find a use for it time and time again over the past few years.

Orbsplateau
03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I am just looking for something for quick and dirty business expense tracking.
I tried Quicken for my personal stuff years ago and decided I needed to get a life rather than tracking every penny that left my account.

Hey deemo,

This is off-topic but here’s a financial tip:

For most of us, there’s actually no need to keep track of every penny that leaves the account.
You just wanna keep track of the important stuff... or at least things that represent a large part of your expenses.

Suppose you withdraw $80 from your account. Now, suppose you spend:
$2.00 on coffee
$1.50 on a newspaper
$12.50 on a quick lunch
$30.00 on a taxi-cab
$20.00 at the movies
$10.00 on a beer or two
---------
$76.00

let’s say that at the end of the day you have nothing left. This implies that you spent $4.00 on something you can’t remember... or maybe you lost it?

Anyhow, this is all you really need to enter:
$30.00 on transportation
$20.00 on entertainment (movies)
$23.00 on food&drinks
$08.00 on "misc"

sure, it’s not 100% accurate but unless you need to keep a very detailed account of your expenses, this will do.

the point of keeping track of these transactions is so that you know where your money is going... if you don't want to know where every penny going that's fine. Just don't record too many little details.

Additionally, you can download transactions from your credit-card or bank account directly on Quicken. You just have to spend about 5 minutes every few days to "accept" and verify those transactions. Of course, if you spend money like Paris Hilton does... then you might require a few hours a week just to take care of this stuff.

happy spending

jsnielsen
03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
PocketInformant
WebIS Mail 2
PocketBreeze
Flexwallet 2005
Wisbar Advance 2
PhatPad
Calligrapher 7.4 with Danish language pack (although the DK language pack doesn't quite work yet)
SPB Finance
SPB Time
Betaplayer
PocketMusic Bundle

These are the apps I use often.

AprilRyan
03-26-2005, 08:58 AM
hi all!

my trusty old palm IIIxe conked out about 6 months ago, and my cellular phone about a month ago. after checking out what's available in the market, i decided to go with an xda mini (which, from what i can gather in the threads here, is called i-mate in other parts of the world).

i stumbled upon this site because i was looking for reviews on the spb pocket plus 2.5 (which seemed interesting to me), and then i chanced upon this forum.

what a relief. i'm happy to be here, and happy to see a zillion threads on recommended software.

so far, i've got the following:

spb pocket plus 2.5 (which i purchased after a day of fiddling around with it)
calendar plus (freeware, which i also discovered here)
mort player (also freeware, and i appreciate the equalizer)

i want a nice calendar and to-do-list, but i can't quite figure out if i need pocketbreeze or pocket informant (so, i'm downloading the trial version of both).

and based on what i've read, i seem to need a file explorer (resco seems to be the unanimous choice) and a back up software thing (sprite?). and maybe an e-wallet. don't quite know why, yet, as my unit is about a week old only.

all in all, i guess it means i should be spending right around US$100 for all of this. believe me, in my country, US$100 is a lot of money, so i'll think long and hard first. but i appreciate the input in this, and in similar threads.

Lex
03-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I came to PPC from Palm 3 years ago. I recommend taking a couple of weeks to use the unit's calendar and addressbook as they came and decide if you need any more than it already does. I purchased Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant and used them for years but have now reverted to the simplicity of Pocket Breeze and the built-in Calendar and Contacts applications. The combination works perfectly. As you find other areas where you wish the PPC would do something, place a post or do a search and we'll help you find something to fit the need. I think you'll benefit from Resco's File Explorer. With it you can also encrypt any file so you may not need a wallet app at the moment. Sprite Backup Premium can be a lifesaver if you have a hard crash. It creates executable backups of your whole PPC and makes restoration after a hard crash pretty easy. I've had one hard crash with 2 PPCs over 3 years. Had many more hard crashes with my 4 Palm units. For now you can see software at: www.handango.com, www.pocketgear.com, www.freewareppc.com, www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php Welcome to the camp.

Orbsplateau
03-26-2005, 02:29 PM
I agree... there's no reason to think that you definitely need pocket informant or agenda fusion.

I use my pocket PC's own PIM software but I've enhanced it with
Calendar Plus (free) and
SuperAlert 2003PE 2.00 ($14.99USD)

I also use SPB Time ($???) as an alarmclock/stopwatch/countdown/woldclock

AprilRyan
03-26-2005, 03:38 PM
okay, will hold off on pocket informant or agenda fusion and pocket breeze until i finish the trial period.

i have some questions on the utilities though. everyone (give or take) seems to recommend having:

resco file explorer
memmaid
sprite backup

do i need all of this early on (when my unit is new and i've got very little or no additional software?) or do i wait until my 256 mb sd card and 64mb ram is almost full? shouldi get this utilities first, before thinking of upgrading my built in calendar and/or task apps?

Annejillian
03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
okay, will hold off on pocket informant or agenda fusion and pocket breeze until i finish the trial period.

i have some questions on the utilities though. everyone (give or take) seems to recommend having:

resco file explorer
memmaid
sprite backup

do i need all of this early on (when my unit is new and i've got very little or no additional software?) or do i wait until my 256 mb sd card and 64mb ram is almost full? shouldi get this utilities first, before thinking of upgrading my built in calendar and/or task apps?

Instead of resco- give gsfinder+ a try http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=1203 Its free- and I've found it very useful- and full featured. I've also heard good things about total commander. Do spend some time poking around pocketpcfreeware, though- lots of great apps!!

PS- I do love my memmaid, and would reccomend it- never found a freeware that was close! ~Anne[/url]