View Full Version : Remotely stream TV for free

zoomie
02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
If you have a TV card and Windows XP, and would like to remotely stream TV to your laptop or handheld for free, then here you go:

Create a directory on your computer called C:\tv

Download-Windows Media Encoder 9.0 (free)
-Web server software if you do not have any, get abyss (free) from
http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/index.html
- two files from my server, place in C:\tv:
http://flyusaf.no-ip.com/download/
mediastream.exe creates the web pages
connection text is used by mediastrem to set up the web site

Set up your web site:
- create your URL, get one for free from
http://www.no-ip.com
works great if you have DSL and no static IP address
Give the directory, c:\tv "executable" ability from the web server software

Create some media encoder files
-With media encoder create one file for each TV channel you want to stream. I use FM Quality encoding which seems to work best for my laptop. I have created different encoding for my handheld for each channel.

Edit the connection.txt file with your specific information. You should only have to edit the mms://... line

Surf to your web site
http://yourname.no-ip.com/tv/mediastream.exe
select your media file to start streaming
use the second page to remotely shutdown the encoder.

Use at your own risk, it works but it is not pretty.

zoomie
03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Has anybody had any success with my application. It works for me, so I do not need to make any changes to the mediastream.exe. However if you have tried to install it and run into a problem please post a message and I will look at the application to find the cause of any problems.

On the other hand, if you have successfully installed the application, I could use some feedback. I will use the feedback to improve the application.

The application, mediastream, does two things. It creates the web pages required to choose which media encoder files to open. And then it starts the media encoder on your home computer. You then link to your home computer to receive the stream.

I have also used the created web page to record TV programs. Then using the "directory listing" ability of my web server, I can download the recorded show.

The only problem I have run into so far is a problem using Microsoft IIS. It does not allow the mediastream.exe to open the windows media encoder because of permissions. That is why I am using the Abyss server, it will open the encoder.

almoore
03-21-2005, 05:07 AM
I tried it. I got most of it to work. But I don't know how to get channels listed in the channel list on the created webpage. Also when I click shut down, it doesn't stop and close the encoder although it says it does.

zoomie
03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
I have put a little work into my program. It should close now. It also will record a program for you. I recorded three programs while I was away.

You need to download three files, connection.txt, mediastream.exe, and vcr.exe. You must place connection.txt in "C:\tv\"(replace the old copies). I recommend placing all three files in that directory and making that directory the executable directory in your web server.

You also need to edit connection.txt with your unique information like the save directory, your TV card, and sound card.

You no longer need to create a session file for the encoder. The program creates the session file (.wme) for you. This step may cause problems for your setup. Also this limits the resolutions that are available to you. I provide two, Hi and Lo. Lo is sufficient for PocketPC streaming. If I get feedback I will work on different resolutions.

Please provide some more feedback.

zoomie
03-28-2005, 02:04 AM
I also ran into some problems with windows XP SP2. You will need to right click on the two .exe files you download. Under properties, click on "Unblock". This will allow the program to run.

diabloii
03-30-2005, 03:39 AM
what kind of "TV" can be streamed on?

zoomie
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
You need your own TV card. If you can encode it with Windows encoder, then there should be no problem streaming it with this application. You will need to know what the card is called in windows encoder, and then edit the file "connection.txt" to include the name of the TV card.

shippingnews
06-03-2005, 07:09 AM
hi zoomie,

can you help me with the installation ? I download your programs and put in my c:\tv directory , install the server, change the document path to c:\tv , but when I run http://localhost/MdiaStream.exe I got a downoad/save/run page and if I hit run a dos prompt appears then nothing happened, no webpage gets generated.

thanks,

BTW, the Windows media encoder part works, I can see TV on my PPC

shippingnews
06-03-2005, 07:44 AM
hi zoomie,

can you help me with the installation ? I download your programs and put in my c:\tv directory , install the server, change the document path to c:\tv , but when I run http://localhost/MdiaStream.exe I got a downoad/save/run page and if I hit run a dos prompt appears then nothing happened, no webpage gets generated.

thanks,

BTW, the Windows media encoder part works, I can see TV on my PPC

never mind, got it working now -- yeah !

can you let user configuer "hi"/"low" param ?

wirelessdude
06-03-2005, 06:43 PM
There's a new free service that does this, I think it's called orbnetworks.com. But I read that it's pretty resource-hungry. You can stream tv, movies, photos and even files from your PC to any mobile device.

shippingnews
06-03-2005, 08:18 PM
There's a new free service that does this, I think it's called orbnetworks.com. But I read that it's pretty resource-hungry. You can stream tv, movies, photos and even files from your PC to any mobile device.

I just did a quick search on orbnetwork and they don't support any "software encoder" including WinTV-go card.

uncbrian
06-15-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm stuck at the same place shippingnews was stuck - the mediastream.exe will only save/open and not actually create anything. Can you tell me what fixed it? I'm using Abyss. Also not sure how to make the folder "executable" if it isn't already. How do I tell?

Thanks

shippingnews
06-15-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm stuck at the same place shippingnews was stuck - the mediastream.exe will only save/open and not actually create anything. Can you tell me what fixed it? I'm using Abyss. Also not sure how to make the folder "executable" if it isn't already. How do I tell?

Thanks

hmm, if I remember correctly, I changed the location of "TV" folder in "connect.txt" and it solved the problem -- could be somthing else though, give it a try.

goodwija
08-29-2005, 04:48 AM
I wonder if you could help me.
I have downloaded your programs with the intention of using them.
Could you offer me some advice.
I have a web site that I would like to embedd live tv and my web cam from.
I was going to use wme to encode both and stream them from my home pc to my server , then view them from within an html page on my web site.
If this is easily done would you be kind enough to help with some instructions.

Thanks in advance.

James
Is this possible using noip to work around the dynamic ip issue.