View Full Version : Samsung i730 To Come In March?

Janak Parekh
02-27-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2427' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2427</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Recent conversations with Samsung have resulted in strong hints on the part of the company's representatives that Samsung intends to announce the release of the i730 PocketPC phone at the Cellular Telecommunications &amp; Internet Association trade show in mid-March. This is consistent with earlier reports we've heard concerning a possible mid-to-late March release date for the i730 on Verizon Wireless."</i><br /><br />We've <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36546">posted on the i730 before</a>; it's slated to have CDMA 1xEV-DO, integrated thumbboard, Bluetooth, and <i>maybe</i> WiFi. I'm keeping an eye out for this one, because it has such a compact formfactor. 8)

Jerry Raia
02-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Damn, if such a thing came out I'd just have to have one...damn! I'll have to buy it. No choice. It's not fair. The only problem is, what about Magneto?

Charles Pickrell
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
The only problem is, what about Magneto?

Don't forget Verizon's pension for disabling bluetooth profiles in their devices.

Jerry Raia
02-27-2005, 07:25 PM
The only problem is, what about Magneto?

Don't forget Verizon's pension for disabling bluetooth profiles in their devices.

That would be criminal on a device like this. :snipersmile: Verizon

Raphael Salgado
02-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I have to admit, after the fiascos with frustrating ownership of two of Samsung's latest products at the time, I do not think I'll ever be an early adopter of Samsung products again.

Most visitors here and at PDAPhoneHome.com were pretty miffed about the handling of the SPH-i700 Pocket PC Phone upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 between Samsung and Verizon, being much delayed and still buggy out the doors. Also, Samsung's refusal to release drivers, software, information on their rotating camera made it impossible to implement Microsoft Portrait or write software that could make the camera more useful and the device ultimately more worth buying or keeping. With Express Network 1xRTT speeds, videoconferencing was right at Samsung's front door.

The Samsung Napster YP-910GS portable MP3 player was touted to have a plethora of features, including integrated FM transmission to a nearby receiver for wireless output, FM recording to MP3, WMA support, and more. However, after I threw on a huge collection on the 20GB device, I noticed I could not access more than 2,000 songs. A call to their floundering tech support revealed that 2,000 was the most the database could handle, even though one could store an average of up to 5,000 MP3 or 10,000 WMA songs on it. Firmware updates would be handled only through Napster.com and their often crashing proprietary media player-library handler-online store software. The advertised USB 2.0 transfers, but because you must use their software or a WMP plug-in to transfer the software, the transfer rate was reduced to 25% of the full USB 2.0 throughput. Lastly, Tech Support mentioned that the ability to handle more than 2,000 songs at a time would be addressed in a future device. Give me a break!

Thanks, Samsung. I'll pass.

murph
02-27-2005, 10:49 PM
has anyone gotten to touch this device? engadget.com likes the device, but is down on the keyboard.

i think this one sweet PPC. i'm concerned about the keyboard, so i'll need to touch it myself. if it comes to market with wi-fi and bluetooth fully enabled i might switch to Verizon. i'm still on Tmobile GPRS, so upgrading to EDGE would be HUGE.

Macguy59
02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
This or the Audiovox just might be the ticket to lure me back to Windows Mobile :D

DaleReeck
02-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Man, that Engadget guy is rough. He doesn't like the keyboard, so now he doesn't care about it anymore. Yikes. Because you know, there are so many top end PocketPC phones to choose from, so let's put every one that has one negative into the garbage (that's sarscasm) :)

Chairman Clench
02-28-2005, 02:44 AM
This or the Audiovox just might be the ticket to lure me back to Windows Mobile :D

I'm with you on this one. My roommate just got the Audiovox on Verizon, but I am waiting to see how much smaller the Samsung is. I would really like 1 device.

Macguy59
02-28-2005, 02:53 AM

I'm with you on this one. My roommate just got the Audiovox on Verizon, but I am waiting to see how much smaller the Samsung is. I would really like 1 device.

Well I jumped ship in favor of the Treo 600 because of it's size, form factor and qwerty keyboard. Like you I'm searching for that perfect all-in-one device and I really do like Windows Mobile better then Palm OS 5.x. I used the Samsung i600 for a year but couldn't live with the too small screen and terrible key entry. I was pretty close to buying the Audiovox but if this new Samsung will actually have working BT and Wi-Fi . . . then I'll most certainly wait.

Majestic
02-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Funny you mention that....I just got my XV6600 on Thursday night. :)

Traded up from my Samsung i600 which was fine but it didn't satisfy my itch.

The keyboard is cool and works great for email and text messages but I still find myself using the on screen for some things as it's just easier than pulling out the keyboard.

P.S. Just so you all know, bluetooth is "not" crippled on the XV6600. I have it paired with my Toshiba M200 for Activesync and to use as a modem. (EVDO rocks!!!) I'm also using a Motorola 820 bluetooth headset which is incredible! Ordering a Bluespoon AX to try that one out. :)

Hope this helps someone take the plunge.

Fred

Jerry Raia
02-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Well that is encouraging news. :)

Macguy59
02-28-2005, 03:32 AM
Funny you mention that....I just got my XV6600 on Thursday night. :)

Traded up from my Samsung i600 which was fine but it didn't satisfy my itch.

The keyboard is cool and works great for email and text messages but I still find myself using the on screen for some things as it's just easier than pulling out the keyboard.

P.S. Just so you all know, bluetooth is "not" crippled on the XV6600. I have it paired with my Toshiba M200 for Activesync and to use as a modem. (EVDO rocks!!!) I'm also using a Motorola 820 bluetooth headset which is incredible! Ordering a Bluespoon AX to try that one out. :)

Hope this helps someone take the plunge.

Fred

Is it all keyboard/thumbpad navigation or does it use a stylus to?

Majestic
02-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Has a stylus too.

Is it all keyboard/thumbpad navigation or does it use a stylus to?

ADBrown
02-28-2005, 08:01 AM
has anyone gotten to touch this device? engadget.com likes the device, but is down on the keyboard.

I played with some of the display models at CES. I recall the keyboard having a bit of a flat feel, and the keys are a bit oddly shaped. I'm not a big fan of thumb keyboards, though, so I may not be the best person to help you.

dMores
02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
does the i730 have a touch screen?
any better pictures available? like side-, back- and bottom view?

Janak Parekh
02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Do a search on these forums -- we've posted a bunch of pictures.

(And yes, it's a full Pocket PC Phone with a touch screen. ;))

--janak

Palmvert
03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I have never used a pocket PC and have gone through about 4 Kyocera 7135's w/Palm 4.1 OS (there is a software error that occasionally occurs that Verizon can't fix and they send out a new phone at no charge).

The Samsung i730 is really catching my eye. I even joined this forum today to communicate about it.

My question...it comes with only 64 mb of ram, is that going to be a huge limitation on this device? I know the Audiovox offered by Verizon has 128. Is the amount of Ram typically upgradeable in a pocket PC device?

Also, there is a lot of discussion about whether wifi is going to be available out of the box. If it is not, it does have an SDIO slot, would Sandisk's SDIO wifi card work with the phone? Should it work in any SDIO Slot on a mobile device?

I am looking for a smaller, smartphone w/a camera and increased connectivity options and this device looks gorgeous. Thanks for your replies.

ADBrown
03-03-2005, 08:07 AM
My question...it comes with only 64 mb of ram, is that going to be a huge limitation on this device?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most people get by on 64 MB perfectly fine.

I know the Audiovox offered by Verizon has 128. Is the amount of Ram typically upgradeable in a pocket PC device?

RAM, no, but you can add additional storage. Some devices can have their RAM upgraded, but it's insanely expensive. For instance, you can upgrade the Dell X50v to 128 MB, but it costs $200. No way to tell what devices will be upgradable.

Also, there is a lot of discussion about whether wifi is going to be available out of the box. If it is not, it does have an SDIO slot, would Sandisk's SDIO wifi card work with the phone?

No reason it shouldn't.

Should it work in any SDIO Slot on a mobile device?

Any Windows device. Palm OS is still out of luck for the most part.

Palmvert
03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Thank you for the reply ADBrown. It is going to be an ancy month waiting for this phone to arrive. I am very tired of the Kyo 7135.

Hopefully a definite release date will be provided during the March 14th-16th show.

sofene
03-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I am very tired of the Kyo 7135.
I just bought a kyocera 7135 off ebay 'cause I keep seeing it touted as a good smartphone. Did I just make a mistake?

Palmvert
03-07-2005, 04:17 AM
You did not make a mistake, and if you enjoy the palm OS you will enjoy it; but it is a bit dated at this point. It has OS 4.1.2 (I think!), and Palm has OS 5.4 out at this point (I think) which is included in the Treo 650. It also does not have a camera and video capabilities are very limited.

You will not be disappointed and it is a tough phone, but there are more bells and whistles available now. For the price you paid on EBAY it was probably worth it.

I have also been a Palm user for years and I am just kind of excited to learn about and play with an OS that is totally new to me.

tange1
03-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Whats the most recent rumors on release dates? I heard a rumor of mid march (which is past really) and a rumor of mid April.

ADBrown
03-20-2005, 03:42 AM
Whats the most recent rumors on release dates? I heard a rumor of mid march (which is past really) and a rumor of mid April.

Some keep saying March 23rd, others April or even the 3rd quarter.

tange1
03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Is there rummors on cost? Retail cost? w/ contract costs? ect? I'm not sure if I should buy a i700 now, because the 730 might be too high for me when it debuts

Janak Parekh
03-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Is there rummors on cost? Retail cost? w/ contract costs? ect? I'm not sure if I should buy a i700 now, because the 730 might be too high for me when it debuts
The i700 is seriously outdated. Considering that Verizon is selling the XV6600 for the same price as the i700, I'd prefer the XV6600 if the i730 ends up being too expensive. It has 1xEV-DO, Bluetooth, and a slide-out thumbboard. It is on the large side, but so is the i700.

--janak

tange1
03-21-2005, 04:09 AM
So it looks like it comes down to the i730 or the 6600... Just depends on cost. I'm thinking it might be the same cost, or just slightly higher. I dont see any other PDA phones much above the price of these phones (ie, all are around the same price) and setting one considerably higher would seem unlikely. Not to start more rummors, but over on PDAphonehome.com forums users are reporting that stock of i700's are being removed from various verizon stores, and places like compUSA. Maybe we are looming just before the release...

Janak Parekh
03-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Not to start more rummors, but over on PDAphonehome.com forums users are reporting that stock of i700's are being removed from various verizon stores, and places like compUSA. Maybe we are looming just before the release...
Maybe, but one thing I've seen with Verizon over quite a few years now is that it's impossible to guess.

--janak

tange1
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
agreed...Are you considering a i730? my x3i and cell are dead so i want to combine..

Janak Parekh
03-21-2005, 06:16 AM
agreed...Are you considering a i730? my x3i and cell are dead so i want to combine..
Maybe -- I'm certainly watching. I bought an i600 Smartphone last November when my i700 was wearing out, so it'd be a while before I decide (at least 10 months -- I'm not about to pay full non-contract price. ;))

--janak

tange1
03-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Thats the best part, I'm at the end of contract april 6th, 100 bucks off the 'with 2 year contract' price. Besides, i was planning on buying a PDA to replace my broken one and my phone is dead too so whats a little more to get a combo :D

tange1
03-28-2005, 08:48 PM
well, in reply to my own reply...it looks like the i730 is a long time from comming to market, some are guessing many months but it isn't looking good. I might just end up with a VX6600, what are your thoughts?

Janak Parekh
04-01-2005, 01:26 AM
well, in reply to my own reply...it looks like the i730 is a long time from comming to market, some are guessing many months but it isn't looking good. I might just end up with a VX6600, what are your thoughts?
The VX6600 is quite nice. The only "problem" I have with it is the comparative size with the i730, but it's not out of line with previous Pocket PCs -- the i730 is just small.

--janak