View Full Version : Unofficial Bluetooth Stack "Upgrade" For iMate PDA2k

Janak Parekh
01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Fellow MVP Helio Diamant, of <a href="http://www.pocketpcfreak.com/">Pocket PC Freak</a>, has gotten a fantastic little nugget for iMate PDA2k owners:<br /><br />A friend of mine has just come back from CES and brought with him a little CAB file that was being given by the guys from Broadcom there. They told him we can publish and offer for download, so I am putting it here to you guys too.<br /><br />When installed, this CAB adds the following profiles to the Broadcom BT stack in the PDA2K:<br /><br />1. High-Quality Audio<br />2. Keyboard<br /><br />This means that those of you holding stereo headsets can now connect them to PDA2k and here music, navigation instructions, etc from the device. As well, Bluetooth Keyboards are supposed to work well.<br />Early reports suggest it works with a number of devices, including both HTC Blue Angel and HTC Harrier units; it might work with other Broadcom-based (i.e., Widcomm) Bluetooth units, but there's no guarantee. If you're interested in playing with it, you can <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/parekh/misc/PDA2K_BroadcomCorp_BTUpdate.cab">download the CAB here</a>. <b>Note: This update is unofficial and unsupported; install it at your own risk, and do a backup first!</b> As far as I know, it's a RAM update, but I haven't tried it. Good luck if you do. 8)<br /><br /><b>UPDATE BY JASON:</b> Broadcom Corporation, through their law firm Sheppard Mullin, has sent me a message that essentially amounts to the fact that this CAB file was never meant for distribution, our offering of it was without Broadcom's permission (despite what we were told), and that unless we removed the file from our server, we'd be <i>"potentially subjecting you and your website's viewers to a host of legal remedies"</i>. Since I don't want to be sued, the CAB file has been removed and this thread has been locked. You know, I really wish these companies would learn that they can just contact us and have a discussion, person to person, rather than getting lawyers involved.

24va
01-14-2005, 07:14 PM
ok, will be the first to ask. High Quality Audio, will they now be able to use the BT headset by HP?

dignow96
01-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I just installed it to my imate Jam. I've been looking for this ever since I got my Jam and it wouldn't talk to my BT keyboard. No immediate ill effects from the download but that's all I can report right now. My BT keyboard is at the office so I'll have to get it hooked up tomorrow morning. Will let you know if this patch was sucessful in making these two devices talk to each other.

Craig Horlacher
01-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Please tell me this lets you use a bluetooth keyboard on the toshiba e830!!! I may just have to try it.

maximum360
01-14-2005, 07:37 PM
I wonder if this will work with the XV6600 or PPC6600?

dignow96
01-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Found the keyboard driver and loaded it up. This cab file didn't do the trick. THe keyboard is still telling me to "upgrade" to the Widcom or Socket BT stack to use the keyboard. Back to looking...

stevew
01-14-2005, 07:46 PM
If anyone with a Cingular sx 66 tries this please post your results. I dont want to be the first :lol:

zohaer21
01-14-2005, 09:09 PM
hi
me and half the imate owners would be asking this "does it let you listen to mp3s thru the BT head set????"
thanks

marcm
01-14-2005, 09:16 PM
All right everyone, some AMAZING news...
Here it comes...
IT WORKS WITH MY DELL AXIM X30 HIGH!!! :D :D :D
It messes up the today screen, but all you have to do to fix this is change the theme. After that, you can change it back. I was able to do BT ActiveSync, so obviously BT works fine, and the new profiles are there. Remember to do a backup just in case. I will test the keyboard profile later... :D

Paragon
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I just installed it to my imate Jam. I've been looking for this ever since I got my Jam and it wouldn't talk to my BT keyboard. No immediate ill effects from the download but that's all I can report right now. My BT keyboard is at the office so I'll have to get it hooked up tomorrow morning. Will let you know if this patch was sucessful in making these two devices talk to each other.

Sorry Dude! It ain't gonna work with the JAM. It is an update for the Widcomm stack by Broadcom. The JAM uses the Microsft Bluetooth stack.

spinedoc
01-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Anyone get this to work with a Sprint PPC6601? I may try it on mine.

Janak Parekh
01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
ok, will be the first to ask. High Quality Audio, will they now be able to use the BT headset by HP?
That's what I want to know. :-D

--janak

gibson042
01-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Here it comes...
:jawdrop:
You tried applying a Bluetooth stack upgrade intended for a completely unrelated device?!? 8O
You have earned my undying respect and will be remembered as one of the bravest people I know.
:werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy:

surur
01-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I hope some-one tries it on a Loox soon, so I can buy those toshiba bluetooth headphones for $99 only!

Surur

freitasm
01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
I wonder if this will work with the XV6600 or PPC6600?

Yes. Tested on a Harrier, which is the same software as these two models.

freitasm
01-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Here it comes...
You tried applying a Bluetooth stack upgrade intended for a completely unrelated device?!? 8O
You have earned my undying respect and will be remembered as one of the bravest people I know.

This will work on i-mate PDA2k (HTC Blue Angel), and Audiovox VX6600/Sprint PPC-6601/Telecom New Zealand Harrier (HTC Harrier). These use the Widcomm BT-PPC/PE version 1 and up.

It will not work on HP iPAQ using the original Widcomm software (h3970 WM2003, h4150) version 1.4. In this case it will install, but the sound volume slider will be permanently set to 0 (you will loose your sound).

I doub it will work on Toshiba e800/e830 as commented before, because these do not use the Widcomm software.

Haven't tested on other devices yet.

Install at your own risk of a need of a hard reset.

Jason Lee
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
So this will add a standard HID bluetooth profile? Any old desktop bluetooth keyboard will now work? Hmmm.. I'd test it on my sx66 if i had access to a keyboard.

urologyhealth
01-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this??

http://www.cellularking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=PON03H000024&amp;Category_Code=Parrot

Thanks

freitasm
01-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this??

http://www.cellularking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=PON03H000024&amp;Category_Code=Parrot

Thanks

A little bit OT. If you have the PDA2k, the current headset profile will work with the Parrot. No need to install this upgrade software for this.

The Parrot works well, I had one for review and giveaway a couple of years ago.

bins
01-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Just tried the cab install (both from my SD card and Program Files location - after resets), but nothing seems to have changed on my i-Mate PDA2k with Rom 1.22.162 WWE.

1. No BT Services were added (still only File Transfer, InformationExchange, Serial Port, Personal Network Server, Dial-up BNetworking Server, Hands-Free),
2. No update seems to have happened, all module versions remained at 1.0.0.3500 (except obviously the BTPluginManagerCE.exe [1.0.0.1]),
3. Despite the dialog box telling it is "writing information for Remove Programs" it can not be found back in the Remove Programs.

Any clues?

cheers,
bins Sad

freitasm
01-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Just tried the cab install (both from my SD card and Program Files location - after resets), but nothing seems to have changed on my i-Mate PDA2k with Rom 1.22.162 WWE.

1. No BT Services were added (still only File Transfer, InformationExchange, Serial Port, Personal Network Server, Dial-up BNetworking Server, Hands-Free),
2. No update seems to have happened, all module versions remained at 1.0.0.3500 (except obviously the BTPluginManagerCE.exe [1.0.0.1]),
3. Despite the dialog box telling it is "writing information for Remove Programs" it can not be found back in the Remove Programs.

Any clues?

cheers,
bins Sad

No services will be added. These are client profiles only and you'll see then in the New connection list:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/forums/bta2dclient.jpg

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/forums/bthidclient.jpg

brianchris
01-15-2005, 12:04 AM

As other have pointed out, worst case scenario is a hard reset.....its not like you are permanently hosing your PDA hardware or anything (its not a firmware update).

That being said, anyone know if this will work with an iPaq 54xx series? The main thing I'd be interested in is Heaset/Handsfree (NOT high quality speakers) so I can hear GPS directs over my BT headset. Even if it DID work with the 54xx series, I'm not clear whether the headset profile is added (if not present already) or not......anyone know? TIA!

rudolph
01-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Nice. It installs properly on an Axim X50v too.

I have a BT Freedom PDA keyboard (same as chainpus PDA keyboard) but it doesn't work with the profile. That's expected though since they keyboard doesn't use the standard HID profile.

freitasm
01-15-2005, 12:43 AM

As other have pointed out, worst case scenario is a hard reset.....its not like you are permanently hosing your PDA hardware or anything (its not a firmware update).

That being said, anyone know if this will work with an iPaq 54xx series? The main thing I'd be interested in is Heaset/Handsfree (NOT high quality speakers) so I can hear GPS directs over my BT headset. Even if it DID work with the 54xx series, I'm not clear whether the headset profile is added (if not present already) or not......anyone know? TIA!

This adds A2DP which is very/completely different from Headset. It is intended for use with Stereo Bluetooth headsets like Bluetooth Hi-Phono (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3006). In this case, instead of having the dongle plugged into a Pocket PC, the stereo headset can be used directly.

Note that in the link the h4150 is using the dongle, not this new software! This software will not add A2DP to older iPAQ models with WM2003 (h3970, h4150, h5450, h5550 included!)

urologyhealth
01-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Are the bluetooth types the same (widcomm) or (Microsoft stack) on these two variations of Blue Angel?

Any info here?

Thank you

Dazbot
01-15-2005, 02:38 AM
This adds A2DP which is very/completely different from Headset. It is intended for use with Stereo Bluetooth headsets like Bluetooth Hi-Phono (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3006). In this case, instead of having the dongle plugged into a Pocket PC, the stereo headset can be used directly.

Note that in the link the h4150 is using the dongle, not this new software! This software will not add A2DP to older iPAQ models with WM2003 (h3970, h4150, h5450, h5550 included!)

I am hopin the 2210 works with it, been looking to buy the bluetake headphones but I didn't fancy using the transmitter all the time with them.

I think I''m off to do a backup now. Unless anyone can PM me with a link to HPs own drivers.

krad
01-15-2005, 03:12 AM
bluetooth stack works with hp6315 ipaq..... YEAH BIATCH!!!!!

freitasm
01-15-2005, 03:59 AM
This will work with the h6315 and hx3750 and hx4700.

It will not work with the h2210.

Blue Angel and Harrier are the same, except variation of radio (GPRS x CDMA) and Wi-Fi (Blue Angel 1 x 0 Harrier).

dignow96
01-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Sorry Dude! It ain't gonna work with the JAM. It is an update for the Widcomm stack by Broadcom. The JAM uses the Microsft Bluetooth stack.

Ok, so the Jam has the Microsoft stack. This little upgrade didn't seem to do much of anything for me. So I seem to be back to the same question - how do I upgrade to the Widcomm/Broadcom stack from the Microsoft stack?

kozak
01-15-2005, 06:14 AM
IT WORKS ON DELL AXIM X50v.

Just intalled, paired the HP Bluetooth Stereo Headphones and now listening to music through bluetooth from my DELL.

freitasm
01-15-2005, 06:49 AM

Ok, so the Jam has the Microsoft stack. This little upgrade didn't seem to do much of anything for me. So I seem to be back to the same question - how do I upgrade to the Widcomm/Broadcom stack from the Microsoft stack?

You can't.

JimPAQ
01-15-2005, 06:51 AM
The cab installed on my hx2750 with out problem. It added the two new options for BT connections. My HP BT Headphones are in the mail, so I won't know if it works for another day or two.

-Jim

dignow96
01-15-2005, 07:11 AM

You can't.

Can't can't like you can't make a WiFi transceiver talk to a BT device or can't like it would be really difficult?

MikeB
01-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Found the keyboard driver and loaded it up. This cab file didn't do the trick. THe keyboard is still telling me to "upgrade" to the Widcom or Socket BT stack to use the keyboard. Back to looking...

OK I finally have the bluetooth keyboard working with the i-mate PDA2K. Yes it still won't work using the ThinkOutside software, but you can go through Bluetooth manager, add a new device, add a Bluetooth keyboard, and it works! Now to try and find a way to keep the backlight on while typing.......

Mike B. (from the i-mate and bluetooth keyboard)

jemichael
01-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I have purchased the HP BT Stereo Headphones back in December and could never get it to work so I returned it.

Will this CAB file allow me to use them? If so I would like to re-purchase them to use them.

Anybody try the HP Bluetooth Stereo Headphones with the PDA2k with this CAB File? I see someone is using it with a DELL so maybe it would work??

Also, what are other Bluetooth Stereo Headphone options? If you could post some links to some where I can buy one that would be great! I would like to check some others out but the only one I am aware of is the one by HP. Which I think HP is totally STUPID considering that they will not even allow THEIR BT HEADPHONES to work with their own LAPTOPS that have Bluetooth built in. I have the DV1000 and it wouldnt work. I bought the DV1000 for movie purposes with travel, and those headphones would have been nice. Just plain stupid on their part...

spinedoc
01-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Cab works fine in a Sprint PPC6601. I am quite curious, seeing the success with the Dell PPC's, if this would allow me to use the HP BT headphones. I may just order a pair if this is the case, I have a spare 2215 anyhow if it does not work with my 6601.

zohaer21
01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
hi
i have an imate pda2k
i installed the update.. and get the new profiles.. but the ppc doesnt connect witht he headsett
what gives

kozak
01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
hi
i have an imate pda2k
i installed the update.. and get the new profiles.. but the ppc doesnt connect witht he headsett
what gives

That's the problem I've been having with my Dell X50v. I had to re-pair the them both several times before it worked. The problem is that the headphones turn off when the pair is initiated from the PPC, and wizard starts the connection after the pair is complete. It seams to be a problem with the headphones, not the PPC, because I had the same issue with my iPaq 2215.

To get around it, right after it starts connecting, and the blue light on the headphones goes off, turn it back on. I had to try it several times, resetting the headphones each time, before it worked. But now they work great.

Jerome Carney
01-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I installed the upgrade to my T-Mobile MDA3 (another of the Blue Angel clones), and finally, I've got brillant, loud, thumping stereo sound streaming directly (i.e., no Audio Dongle) to my BlueTake iPhono BT stereo headset (http://www.bluetake.com/Products/BT420ex.htm).

The only issue I've encountered so far is that the iPhono is also capable of working as a handsfree telephone headset, so now I have two profiles set up for it on my MDA 3, one for High-Quality Audio and one for Handsfree Headset, but when I make a call, there is no automatic switch between profiles. Normally the iPhono can make this pass seamlessly if it's paired with, say, an IPAQ and a BT-enabled cellphone.

Craig Horlacher
01-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Here it comes...

This will work on i-mate PDA2k (HTC Blue Angel), and Audiovox VX6600/Sprint PPC-6601/Telecom New Zealand Harrier (HTC Harrier). These use the Widcomm BT-PPC/PE version 1 and up.

It will not work on HP iPAQ using the original Widcomm software (h3970 WM2003, h4150) version 1.4. In this case it will install, but the sound volume slider will be permanently set to 0 (you will loose your sound).

I doub it will work on Toshiba e800/e830 as commented before, because these do not use the Widcomm software.

Haven't tested on other devices yet.

Install at your own risk of a need of a hard reset.

I had to try it because I'm desperate to get a bluetooth keyboard to work on my toshiba e830. Not only did it not work with the HP or the thinkoutside bluetooth keyboards but I lost my sound as is mentioned in this post from freitasm.

Anyone have any idea how I can get my sound back. Looks like I'll be reinstalling. I didn't think ahead enough to do a quick backup of main memory before I ran the install and it doesn't seem to have an entry in the remove programs tool either. I also tried looking in the registry but didn't see anything obvious to remove or disable.

Dazbot
01-16-2005, 01:34 AM
What about the Asus MyPal 730, has anyone tried it?

kozak
01-16-2005, 02:56 AM
For you e830 users!!!

Toshiba announced they are releasing the Logitech Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for Toshiba Laptops and PDA's. It will be branded as Toshiba, but is exactly the same as the HP model without the HP logo. It will be available from Toshiba on February 9th.

They will have to release the new BT stack for the headphones, which should include the Keyboard profile aswell.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5716.html

Jason Lee
01-16-2005, 03:46 AM

OK I finally have the bluetooth keyboard working with the i-mate PDA2K. Yes it still won't work using the ThinkOutside software, but you can go through Bluetooth manager, add a new device, add a Bluetooth keyboard, and it works! Now to try and find a way to keep the backlight on while typing.......

Mike B. (from the i-mate and bluetooth keyboard)

so the stowaway keyboard does not work with the pda2k? I was gonna order one of those and the mouse... I have the siemens sx66, has any one got the stowaway to work with it's provided drivers?

Pat Logsdon
01-16-2005, 04:20 AM
I'm just guessing here, but I'd assume that the keyboard driver included in this stack is meant to be used with regular, desktop bluetooth keyboards, not necessarily bt keyboards of the folding variety, which typically come with their own drivers. Has anyone tried?

MikeB
01-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Yes the bluetooth stack discussed here will work with the ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard. If you go into Bluetooth manager and add a new device and select bluetooth keyboard you can get the keyboard working with the i-mate PDA2k. But, if you try to use the "Stowaway Keyboard" drivers on the PDA2k, that will not work. You can still use the Stowaway keyboard with the PDA2k, but instead of changing the SIP to the Stowaway Keyboard, you go to bluetooth manager and pair the keyboard with the device. The net result is just about the same; you can use the keyboard and it works just fine. The only things I'm missing is that the backlight goes off on the Pocket PC when using the keyboard, and I also miss the klackety-clack sound you get when typing with the stowaway drivers.

Mike B.

Jason Lee
01-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Yes the bluetooth stack discussed here will work with the ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard. If you go into Bluetooth manager and add a new device and select bluetooth keyboard you can get the keyboard working with the i-mate PDA2k. But, if you try to use the "Stowaway Keyboard" drivers on the PDA2k, that will not work. You can still use the Stowaway keyboard with the PDA2k, but instead of changing the SIP to the Stowaway Keyboard, you go to bluetooth manager and pair the keyboard with the device. The net result is just about the same; you can use the keyboard and it works just fine. The only things I'm missing is that the backlight goes off on the Pocket PC when using the keyboard, and I also miss the klackety-clack sound you get when typing with the stowaway drivers.

Mike B.

aaarrgh! what is up with this? none of the "universal" accessories work with this stupid pocket pc... i bought a targus ir keyboard long ago and hoped to never have to buy another keyboard... it doesn't work either! i thought the stowaway bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo would be really cool... but not if they don't work like they are supposed to! :evil:
i shouldn't have to install unofficial software to get my brand new out of the box hardware to work...

EdRamon
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Just reporting the CAB worked on my SX66. However, I do no thave headphone and or a keyboard to test with. However, my Moto H820 works the same.

kozak
01-16-2005, 11:05 PM
BTW, you can find the WIDCOMM 4.0 drivers online, to be able to use the HP or Toshiba headphones with your PC or Laptop.

I just intalled them. 30mb download.

http://my.so-net.net.tw/dean8888/Widcomm_BTW%204.0.1.700.rar
http://www.mobidick.biz/download/bluetooth/bcu-btw4-0-1-700.zip

MikeB
01-16-2005, 11:32 PM
aaarrgh! what is up with this? none of the "universal" accessories work with this stupid pocket pc...

It's not just a Pocket PC thing. The ThinkOutside keyboard won't work with Microsoft Smarpthones either. I think "universal" is a bit of a stretch.

Mike B.

Dazbot
01-17-2005, 12:08 AM
BTW, you can find the WIDCOMM 4.0 drivers online, to be able to use the HP or Toshiba headphones with your PC or Laptop.

One step ahead of you, I found these yesterday while looking for newer drivers that actually support my laptop and which actually do something when I double click the bluetooth ICON on the desktop or system tray. The ones that came with my laptop were ****, half the interface didn't work, I ended up using older drivers from my shuttle.

The new version added HID (now I can get that BT mouse I wanted :D), Audio Gateway, Headset, Imaging and Printer support to my list but no A2DP support, I think thats down to the old firmware on my device.

The headset works about 70% of the time, the rest I just get noise, maybe thats why it was left out of my laptop.

kozak, which firmware does your bluetooth adapter have?

kozak
01-17-2005, 01:02 AM
I have the Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Mouse. It has a great BT base. I got my phone, pda, mouse and headset on at the same time. Works great.

Menneisyys
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
According to http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?p=20393 , the Pocket Loox 720 also works flawlessly with Hi-Fi BT headphones :mrgreen:

benyeap
01-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok, installed the .cab file coz thought it will enable the audio gateway preference (which the XDA IIs does not have, shameful) and two new profile for high quality audio &amp; keyboard surface up on the BT connection wizard. But the XDA IIs does not support for audio or music listening through normal BT headsets all this while, how on earth does it enable the audio for stereo BT headset? I had checked the hands-free preferences, only telephone voice calls will be transfer to the headset, still no audio gateway preference yet. Mine is using Broadcom Build 3500 version. Please advise on how to get this audio gateway done even with a normal BT headset?

Paragon
01-17-2005, 06:05 PM
For any of you who don't seem to see any change after applying this upgrade, have you looked here?

http://www.devans.ca/newbt.jpg

urologyhealth
01-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Dave,

I don't know how Siemens Bluetooth stack would handle this. All it says on my unit is:

BT-PPC/PE VERSION 1.0.0 BUILD 2400

copyright 1999-2004 Broadcom Corporation

ROM VERSION: 1.20.10 WWE
ROM DATE: 10/08/04
RADIO VERSION: 1.02.10
PROTOCOL VERSION: 1337.35
Ext.ROM VERSION: 1.20.115 WWE

Any ideas---or wait for Siemens to come out with patch?

Thanks,

kozak
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM
It says you have broadcomm bt stack. The cab file is a broadcomm file. So, it would probably work, but dont' take my word for it.

Anyway, do a backup, install the file, if it don't work, do a restore. That's it.

rabilancia
01-17-2005, 07:33 PM

I just tried to install them with my TDK Systems USB adapter (uses the Widcomm stack) as an "upgrade." Everything went well until I rebooted and tried to configure. I got a message, "Bluetooth Software License: Your Bluetooth Software license does not include use with this Bluetooth device [6]."

Is there a "license.dat" file available? I did try the one that came with the TDK device, but no such luck. :?

What devices do these drivers work with?

TIA,
rabilancia

benyeap
01-17-2005, 07:42 PM
How do u guys enable the Blue Angel to have the BT Audio Gateway preference?? Mine only supports for voice calls.

Paragon
01-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Dave,

I don't know how Siemens Bluetooth stack would handle this. All it says on my unit is:

BT-PPC/PE VERSION 1.0.0 BUILD 2400

copyright 1999-2004 Broadcom Corporation

ROM VERSION: 1.20.10 WWE
ROM DATE: 10/08/04
RADIO VERSION: 1.02.10
PROTOCOL VERSION: 1337.35
Ext.ROM VERSION: 1.20.115 WWE

Any ideas---or wait for Siemens to come out with patch?

Thanks,

I'm pretty certain that others have done it on their Siemans devices. As kosak suggested, do a backup. If you don't like the results then do a retore. :)

Dave