View Full Version : To AvantGo or Not?

Jason Dunn
09-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Quick survey time: I want to know how many of you regularly use AvantGo to access sites, whether it's this one or other content.

jonathanchoo
09-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Used to use it loads. Now I use iSilo to clip offline websites.

Update: Since I have 500 minutes of free wap usage a month plus 500k of GPRS on my mobile plan I use PIE or WebPro (on T3) to read my daily updates at BBC News and BBC Sports.

gregkeene
09-09-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure how others feel, however with RSS coming on strong and connected devices becoming more common, I question whether AvantGo can make it. Used to use it, but have really found RSS handling what I need much better.

Greg

ziggy
09-09-2004, 02:15 AM
I agree. I used to use AvantGo every day, but have not in quite some time. Incidentally, does anyone know how to completely remove it.

HTK
09-09-2004, 02:41 AM
I also used to use it.
now I didnt even know it was still alive

ctmagnus
09-09-2004, 02:41 AM
I use RSS more now. Especially with the three AvantGo channels I subscribe to occupying 500kB on the device. That isn't very many "refereshes" on my 2MB/month data plan 8O

gorkon280
09-09-2004, 02:43 AM
I use Avantgo alot now...but once I get a GSM/GPRS phone with BT (I have decided against any of the integrated models....wait til the next gen hits), I won't use at as much. I even used it to keep track of Frances and read all of the NHC's info on it. try http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml on PIE and it works wonderfully. You can even see the graphics.

HTK
09-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I use RSS more now. Especially with the three AvantGo channels I subscribe to occupying 500kB on the device. That isn't very many "refereshes" on my 2MB/month data plan 8O

Yeah, I'm also using RSS a lot now, with wi-fi and vga screen Avantgo is not that appealing anymore

js
09-09-2004, 02:54 AM
I haven't used AvantGo since I switched to World Off-Line by SunnySoft over 1 1/2 years ago. I'll never use it again either.

I don't miss it a bit! WOL does everything I need, very well and very quickly for the amount of data I dl daily ;).

jngold_me
09-09-2004, 03:23 AM
Avantgo is my source of news for my morning and afternoon commutes to and from work.

I also use RSS a bit, but find it very limited due to the fact that most feeds are just Headlines or short blurbs.

urologyhealth
09-09-2004, 03:28 AM
What is RSS? Is it for PocketPC phone edition users?

Thank you

nuka_t
09-09-2004, 05:23 AM
I'm not sure how others feel, however with RSS coming on strong and connected devices becoming more common, I question whether AvantGo can make it. Used to use it, but have really found RSS handling what I need much better.

Greg

what good rss apps are there?

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Last time I used it was when I was a Palm user.

ctmagnus
09-09-2004, 05:59 AM
what good rss apps are there?

Top 4 Pocket PC RSS Readers (http://palmtops.about.com/cs/productreviews/tp/Pocket_RSS.htm)

Personally, I like Egress (http://web.newsguy.com/GarishKernels/egress.html).

Jereboam
09-09-2004, 06:14 AM
With broadband wifi at home, work, airports, friend's places...Avantgo is pretty much out the window. I faithfully kept syncing every day on the off chance I would be disconnected and would need something to read....but it didn't happen on a regular basis so I have stopped.

Which RSS readers do people like, btw? For the PPC I mean?

Edit: Answered in the 30 seconds it took me to post. These forums have become collectively intelligent. A sentient forum?

J'bm

bigneeker
09-09-2004, 06:20 AM
i use avantgo where i cannot get a wifi signal like the subway in nyc or some buildings. i also use it sometimes instead of gprs because it is quicker although its not as updated as going straight to website.

Jereboam
09-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Hmmm. Still no really great RSS reader for the Pocket PC though. A gap in the market methinks, no disrespect to those readers listed above.

J'bm

Jeff Rutledge
09-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Haven't used it in at least a year.

juni
09-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Wish it wasn't included in ppcs, I have no use whatsoever for it. I think I last used it on my first Ipaq years ago.

jimski
09-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Used to sync regularly, but got tired of telling to only sync once per day while struggling with ActiveSync (one of those multiple sync - kick out for e-mail attachment days) and having the damn app take 3-5 minutes to do it's thing. It was frustrating enough dealing with ActiveSync.

Now I only do occasional manual syncs because our travel agent uses a service that downloads itineraries to an Avantgo channel. Other than that, no need for it.

jeisner
09-09-2004, 06:56 AM
I use isilo, never liked Avantgo and always used isilo on Palm, so do the same on PPC....

Jereboam
09-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Basically I think this is a logical movement away from proprietary to standards-based news aggregation.

J'bm

Jonathon Watkins
09-09-2004, 09:30 AM
These forums have become collectively intelligent. A sentient forum?

It is nice when that happens. :D

It's also why I always tell non PPCT readers with questions to check the forums here and ask questions. The truth is in here........ :wink:

mrkablooey
09-09-2004, 11:09 AM
i keep a couple channels in there, including pocketlj (pocketlj.com) i use egress for RSS though i don't find myself reading much on the pocketpc anymore... though it comes and goes.

h3seaking
09-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I use Avantgo all the time. I also use RSS readers. Avantgo is nice because it offers more in depth articles when compared to most RSS articles. They both have their plusses and minuses.

jbachandouris
09-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I sync it everday, but I also see its limitations. I don't really find the content all that exciting. Mostly, its a waste of time. I only keep it on so that I will use my PPC more (since I barely use it :<).

ombu
09-09-2004, 02:02 PM
With all those hot-spots everywhere and RSS I don't use it any more.

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I just went to check on my Avantgo...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/238/avantgo.JPG

I guess I haven't used it in a while... :wink:

Steve

divajess
09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I tried Avantgo a long time ago, didn't like it, then rediscovered it and now I use it all the time.

I actually sync a customized channel from MobileRSS, which creates an RSS feed page for you. I have all my feeds in Avantgo without a need for a separate RSS reader. I've been unable to find an RSS reader that I like, and I really REALLY like MobileRSS. I will likely still use it when I get a wireless connectivity solution with a newer PPC.

I also sync stuff like movie times, which has come in VERY handy in a pinch quite a few times lately. My friends have actually said stuff like, "Wow, it's not just a geeky toy, it's a real tool!" I've converted one of them into buying a PPC, the others are just a matter of time...

PeteTh
09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I use Avantgo each day during my commute to work.
I mainly read custom channels e.g PPC Thoughts forums etc.

I have tried ISilo and SunnySoft World Offline, but found them much much slower to sync many web pages - particularly when you set the page depth to grab 1 level down as well.

Avantgo seems inherently quicker as it is connecting to the Avantgo servers to compress data first, whereas the others (I believe) must transfer the whole page down to the PPC or PC before converting/compressing.

I have 2 avantgo a/cs for 4MB yet this syncs extremely quickly, and avantgo checks pages (about 1200 of them ) are up to date even quicker.

Also I need a offline synchronizer that will work without an ActiveSync or PC connection, so that I can sometimes sync at Wifi points.

Finally, I like the fact Avantgo connects to the Avantgo server, as this means if I sync up at work there is only 1 connection to the Avantgo server rather than lots of HTTP requests to many different websites which are NOT work related.

Maybe Isilo and Sunnysoft have improved since I last tried ?

ipaqmaniac
09-09-2004, 03:38 PM
I started using AvantGO many years ago on my Palm IIIc, and only recently dropped it off my iPAQ. No one's mentioned this yet, but my big problem with AvantGO is that much of the content that I used to enjoy has slowly been dropped. :cry: Most of these providers complained about the exorbitant fees that AvantGO demanded to continue providing their channel. Apparently they based it on number of downloads. It used to be that my favorite was Joke-a-day, but it dropped off early last year, and went to a for-fee model.

I'm currently using the MobiPocket reader eNews feature...

ntractv
09-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I use it everyday as well. Didn't really care for the RSS feeds. It's true that a some of the earlier content providers have left, but, for the main ones I use (Alternet.org, MSNBC, New York Times, Reuters, The Feature) Avantgo comes in handy. Sync time at a WiFi spot is tremendously fast.

Don't Panic!
09-09-2004, 05:52 PM
I started using AvantGO many years ago on my Palm IIIc, and only recently dropped it off my iPAQ. No one's mentioned this yet, but my big problem with AvantGO is that much of the content that I used to enjoy has slowly been dropped. :cry: [snip]...

I'm looking for a change. I have been a faithful user for the last four years but without Wired News, PBS, PC World magazine I have lost interest. It wouldn't be so bad if Avantgo would take the channels off their page but they just leave them there and give that lame server busy, link depth, blah blah blah, anything but admitting they no longer have this channel.

I'm going to give World ON-Line a try.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

SofaTater
09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I still use AvantGo daily. I have an old HP 1910, which does not have any WiFi capabilities, so AvantGo is still pretty handy for me.

I have a bunch of channels that I synch and I read the content during off-times and when I'm waiting in line somewhere. I find the content from the Washington Post, CNET, Reuters, Christian Science Monitor, among others, to be especially informative.

My only wish is that there was an easier way to save content offline -- something like Repligo, which I use to save web pages on my desktop PC to read later on my PPC. Currently, I just copy and paste pages I want to save into TextMaker. Does anyone have any better ideas?

SofaTater
09-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I have been a faithful user for the last four years but without Wired News, PBS, PC World magazine I have lost interest.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Wired News and PC World are still available through AvantGo -- I have them synching to my PPC...

Not sure about PBS -- tried adding it once, but could never get it to synch...

ntractv
09-09-2004, 10:02 PM
I have been a faithful user for the last four years but without Wired News, PBS, PC World magazine I have lost interest.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Wired News and PC World are still available through AvantGo -- I have them synching to my PPC...

Not sure about PBS -- tried adding it once, but could never get it to synch...

PBS is still there (WETA in the DC metro area is). It seems though that the only thing that updated regulary is the daily viewing schedule and I'Cringely.

Rob Alexander
09-10-2004, 03:42 AM
I still use Avantgo. It syncs once a day and I end up looking at it 2-3 times a week when I need to occupy a few minutes. It also syncs a few information bits for me, like current exchange rates, that I don't always need but want up-to-date when I do need them.

Don't Panic!
09-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Well guys thanks for the confirmation on my favorites channels status at Avantgo but it just confirms for me how buggy Avantgo can be. Avantgo does have it's uses still though, I can't think of a larger collection of tips toward mobile optimised sites and when you're flying it's great to have your itinerary at your fingertips but I just sync'ed the entire i, cringley archive using the World Off-Line trial version and I don't plan on looking back. Now I can finally vote in this poll. 8) Avantgo NO!

Don't Panic!
Bobby

scrapindee
09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
use it daily. gives me up to date on news and weather.

Jonthepom
09-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Use it nearly every day as my newspaper. Dam sit smaller than the Times on the commute. Channels a bit limited outside USA and ITN / BBC bit out of date for newspaper. Vnunet great for IT news.

Hmmm must try RSS

ny152
09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I've used Avantgo for almost two years, updating each morning when I synch my Ipaq...I finally dumped Journal Bar completely. Between Stocks & Weather and Avantgo, I've got all the info I need.

How about telling us your fave Avantgo channels? Mine are:

-- Accuweather
-- Reuters
-- Motley Fool
-- Miami Herald (for Dave Barry's columns)
-- Wired
-- NY Post
-- Metacritic

redraiduzz
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I use AvantGo a lot! Still do, although I'm disappointed a few good channels have stopped and also that a few customized channels I created had to go by the boards because of their new policies inhibiting groups from creating them unless they become some sort of partner w/ AvantGo.

That was a big mistake in my opinion; they did, however, lately increase the MB channel space, thanks in part to some new sponsorships or something, but still a few good tech channels and news and sports channels have ceased due to new policies, which is unfortunate.
:)

My favorites:
The Onion (mobile version)
Dallas Morning News
CNET (good tech channel)
555-1212 info
USA Today
MSN Mobile (used to be better, albeit not updated as frequently)
Accuweather (great site)

jcmoffitt
09-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I honestly did not know there were alternatives to Avantgo. LOL
I use Mobilerss.net for my RSS feeds but I read them as a personal channel on Avantgo. How can I read RSS without going through Avantgo? I will check out World Offline and see how that works. I hope it is FREE. LOL... It is amazing how quickly subscriptions to this and that for mobile computing can add up if you are not careful.

One of the things I do NOT like about Avantgo is that it seems as if my account gets locked out atleast one time per day and it always seems to happen to me when I am trying to synch my Ipaq 2215 right before I walk out of the house via the cradle. Grrrrrrr

Later

Rob Loach
09-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Avantgo is my source of news for my morning and afternoon commutes to and from work.

I also use RSS a bit, but find it very limited due to the fact that most feeds are just Headlines or short blurbs.
Ditto.

redraiduzz
09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Yeah JC,

I've had AvantGo lock my account several times, too, & it's quite annoying. Are you going through a LAN (like having a wireless LAN in the house)?

I noticed last year after I installed mine that it would lock up while synching, and continuously try to keep searching for updated pages, but never remove the outdated or update the channels. I finally disconnected my router, synched without it once, then reconfigured the router and settings, and it all worked after that point!

Good luck.

JAGreene
09-10-2004, 08:49 PM
One of the things I do NOT like about Avantgo is that it seems as if my account gets locked out atleast one time per day and it always seems to happen to me when I am trying to synch my Ipaq 2215 right before I walk out of the house via the cradle.

I walk out via the door, but to each his own. :lol:

We don't clutter our bathroom with magazines or newspapers, so I use AvantGo when there's nothing else to read, so in other words, fairly regularly. :wink:

I have two recurring problems with AvantGo: 1) I'll get a "component out of date" error when synching sometimes if Pocket IE is running; and 2) my Yahoo! login expires every week or so, and I won't notice until I'm away from the computer and trying to read what should be there but isn't because I'm logged in as Guest. :grumble:

jcmoffitt
09-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Well, errrr, Uhmmmm, yes, walking out via the door is much easier than transporting myself through the Ipaq cradle. Too funny, I did not catch that. 8O

LOL

SassKwatch
09-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Like many, I used to use it *a lot*.....rarely missed a day without updating at least once. Would read it at lunch and would tell anyone who asked (which was almost everyone), "I'm reading the newspaper."

These days, rarely update once, maybe twice a week. And if weren't for The Onion still being available, I'm not sure I'd do it that often.

Phillip Dyson
09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
2 questions:

1 Does anyone know how to get both AvantGo and World Offline to use a different browser. PIE drives me crazy. I use Netfron for everything else.

2. Has anyone else experienced problem where Egress stops working. I spoke with the Developer and he said that the problem is with the Connection Manager. This could be true, because after I installed the AT&T connnection manager it started working again. But only when using the ATT CM

I didn't realize that Onion was on AvantGo. This may be a reason to start using it again.

isilver
09-11-2004, 08:57 PM
I used to use avantgo. But all the channels I used to subscribe too started to charge for there services. It wasn't worth paying $3.00/month that I found to be funny. Especially when you have 10 channels all demanding the same amount.

Starevoli
09-12-2004, 08:19 AM
I use Avantgo daily since I don't have wireless access. I synch up and then I can read the front page of the New York Times, etc. Plus Avantgo has a channel from a site built by some local film reviewers and has showtimes for my area that is unlike any other. - I have constant problems with Avantgo synching/loading properly everytime.

RSS? How does this work? Do you have to have a PPC RSS reader? Is there a site?

mrkablooey
09-12-2004, 02:07 PM
RSS? How does this work? Do you have to have a PPC RSS reader? Is there a site?

I use Egress (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=5957216BD8XBX7A631F4BX297DBBAAA5&platformId=2&osId=481&siteId=1&productId=93539&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=Egress), which I like.

Many sites have RSS compatible links. Look up in the top right corner of this page and see an orange XML button. Use that link to get an RSS feed of PocketPCThoughts.

PeteTh
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Reading this thread started me off investigating RSS a little, so I thought I'd post a site I found that has a lot of useful stuff about RSS in general
http://www.faganfinder.com/search/rss.shtml

I've been trying out reading RSS on PPC with http://www.mobilerss.net/index.php with AvantGo synchronizing the my MobileRSS as a custom channel, it works very well. Although I have found that many RSS feeds seem to omit the graphics. e.g PocketPCThoughts feed only has text. So I prefer to read PocketPCThoughts as a AvantGo Channel to get the pictures as well.

On the desktop PC, I've been trying http://www.bloglines.com/
to read RSS feeds.

Squid
09-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Hello all,

I tried out RSS, but have a lot of problems trying to figure out feeds for it. I would go to a page that "supplied" feeds and couldn't figure out what the heck was what. Is this CNN or some goofball with a computer spamming the planet with their personal take on current events... I like the fact that the Avantgo channels are easy to understand and sign up for. You can get previews of the channels if you like. Just makes it simpler. IF the RSS crowd did that as well then I might reconsider. Might.

Regards,

Squid

iPAQFanatic
09-14-2004, 10:53 PM
I used to use AvantGo religously with my Palm and then with my PPC, but it's gotten so crappy lately, and I got the Expansion Pack for Journal Bar and it rocks. I use it more often than Avantgo now.

minimage
09-23-2004, 06:07 PM
When setting up a laptop for a co-worker, I had to fight with getting his AvantGo working with his Palm V. I'd heard of it before then, but didn't really see any point in it. After that fight (which I, of course, eventually won), you'd think I'd hate AvantGo, but I became hooked after that. Now, all the fighting I do is for my own benefit, and my bruises come from ActiveSync, not Hotsync :)

TheOrange
09-23-2004, 10:05 PM
AvantGo was great when I had my Palm Vx, I mean it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I found myself using it less and less until I removed it from my Palm. Now I have a PPC with WiFi and don't see a good use for AvantGo.

shawnc
09-23-2004, 10:42 PM
I use it every day. Wake up in the morning, wirelessly sync PPC via Avantgo (takes LESS than 1 minute) and have all my commuting and can trips reading needs met for the entire day. Channels include CNET, NYT, NYTT, NY Post, PC World, Rueters, Wired News, etc.

Never heard of RSS until this thread. Running to the Net now to find out more.

Stephen Beesley
09-25-2004, 11:53 AM
After a couple of years of barely using Avantgo, the combination of two recent changes in my life have made it a big part of my PPC experience again.

Thanks starting a new job which allows me to commute by train to work I find myself with a couple of hours a day to fill in during my commute. Fortunately I have recently had DSL Broadband installed at home which means I finally have the motive and opportunity to use Avantgo to its full potential.

With combination of two Avantgo accounts AND Journal Bar expansion pack I find that I have plenty of reading material for my daily commute. Avantgo tends to give me a more in depth read of the news stories I download (one of the things that puts me off using RSS) and also allows me access to a wider range of sites than expansion pack alone.

Since installing the latest Avantgo client on my Toshiba I also find that I have had no problems connecting. On my old Jornada I often got the "component missing error" and before installing the updated software my Toshiba would download the content but I could not access it for some reason.