View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading to Vista...

NPrtmn4evr
01-30-2007, 11:33 PM
So with the release of Vista today, the tech-whore inside of me wants the latest version of Windows.:cool:

Is it really worth it? Will it mess anything up with my Zune software or library, or does it making using the Zune more seamless? What about other hardware support? (I know XP had a pretty rough start in this area)

Oh, and my laptop only has 512MB of RAM. I know that the recommended RAM is 1GB for the Home Premium edition, but will the Premium edition still run on my laptop or will I have to upgrade my RAM? I won't upgrade to only the Home Basic edition.

Darius Wey
02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Is it really worth it? Will it mess anything up with my Zune software or library, or does it making using the Zune more seamless? What about other hardware support? (I know XP had a pretty rough start in this area)

Vista won't really do anything to improve connectivity with Zune or make the Zune software/player perform better than it already does. Moving on, from my experiences, hardware support has improved. Vista appears to have a larger base driver package, so there is generally better recognition of hardware during installation. However, if you happen to have an odd component that Vista can't recognize, patience is advised. As with all new platform releases, there's always a window of time where manufacturers and developers are working their hardest to solve any application/driver compatibility issues.

Oh, and my laptop only has 512MB of RAM. I know that the recommended RAM is 1GB for the Home Premium edition, but will the Premium edition still run on my laptop or will I have to upgrade my RAM? I won't upgrade to only the Home Basic edition.

It'll run, though not well. You'll want at least 1GB, and more for an even better experience.