View Full Version : which next gen VGA device would you choose?

kaitanium
08-16-2004, 04:22 AM
k im having a bit of trouble deciding which pocket pc to choose once they are readily avaliable. the fujitsu/simens loox 720, the fujitsu v70 (if it ever comes out here), or the asus a730. sorry hp, you lost my loyalty since your top of the line model doesnt have a camera... now i know the v70 and asus are pretty much the same but what out of the 3 would you choose? and why?

Kati Compton
08-16-2004, 05:23 AM
Loox is better for CIR (if that's important to you) and a bigger battery. The Asus is overall smaller, and has a slightly bigger screen.

If you go over to FirstLoox they have a comparison chart of the VGA devices.

JustinGTP
08-16-2004, 06:02 AM
I agree with Kati - I would go with the Loox and that is my plan and I wrote up my reasons why here. (http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid2=1214&mode=&order=0&thold=0&topicid=2172)

-Justin.

Kati Compton
08-16-2004, 06:06 AM
I agree with Kati - I would go with the Loox and that is my plan and I wrote up my reasons why here. (http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid2=1214&mode=&order=0&thold=0&topicid=2172)

Actually, I didn't give a personal preference, just making the comparison. ;) I'm undecided, but leaning towards the Asus because of screen size. Most likely I'll wait to see what the upcoming Toshiba 830 has to offer.

JustinGTP
08-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Oh, oops.

Actually, I just agreed with your statements. Then, I decided which model I would go for. I never meant to imply that you would go for the Loox too.

Sorry! :oops:

Duncan
08-16-2004, 09:08 AM
kaitanium,

The comparison chart Kati mentions is down there in my signature.

Ripper014
08-17-2004, 03:09 AM
My original choice was the Asus... and though the Loox is tempting... I am waiting for the final release from Asus. Pocket Matrix found a speed issue with the new A730 prelease model and they are currently working hard at correcting it.

Any tests on the Asus A730 are based on a old preproduction unit... so I am looking forward to a new evaluation of the release which should be available in the next 2-3 weeks.

shanipaqman
08-18-2004, 02:13 AM
I also am waiting to decide which device to replace my old Ipaq 3955 with. I don't really need everything included, but do want a smaller form factor that what I have now...Would the Loox be the smaller of the upcoming VGA devices? Is a Dell model in the works?

How much is the Loox supposed to come in at loaded out?

What is the USB hosting ability do for you? Keyboard or mouse kind of stuff?

thanks
shannon

Falstaff
08-18-2004, 06:45 AM

Actually, I didn't give a personal preference, just making the comparison. ;) I'm undecided, but leaning towards the Asus because of screen size. Most likely I'll wait to see what the upcoming Toshiba 830 has to offer.

I'm with you, I like the look and features of the e830, I think it is a nicer handheld than the others. I can't wait to play with one personally.

The PocketTV Team
08-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Is there any VGA Pocket PC that can use external USB mass storage ?

If yes, that's the one I want.

Why ? Because I want to be able to backup my 4GB Microdrive on an external USB Mass Storage when I travel. This way I can backup all the photos that I take (on my 4GB Microdrive), without having to carry a laptop!

wocket
08-18-2004, 11:31 AM

If yes, that's the one I want.

Why ? Because I want to be able to backup my 4GB Microdrive on an external USB Mass Storage when I travel. This way I can backup all the photos that I take (on my 4GB Microdrive), without having to carry a laptop!

Yes the existing Tosh E800 can so hopfully the E830 will as well but you need some mass storage drivers have a look at this brighthand thread (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97681)

Duncan
08-18-2004, 11:36 AM

Yes - all except the hx4700.

The Loox 720 comes with a USB slave/host cable and saw the MuVo 2 hard disk as a removeable drive without any need for extra drivers (and played video directly from the MuVo without any problems).

The Asus a730 and Toshiba e830 both have/will have USB host too (though I don't know if either will come with the necessary cable).

I'm pretty certain that the OS has the UMS driver included within it.

The PocketTV Team
08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Yes the existing Tosh E800 can
Woaw!!! I didn't know!!! Thanks a lot for the tip!

Now I won't have to carry my big old iPaq 3600 with the dual extension sleeve.

I found the driver, all I need is the USB host cable for the e800, now... Any idea where to get those ?

jgrnt1
08-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Here (http://www1.shopping.com/xPC-Toshiba_TOS_E400_E800_USB_CABLE~SRID-5a8b78fef1faa9b2d1aa0996) are six sites that Shopping.com pulled up. It looks like MobilePlanet is cheapest before shipping.

I really miss being able to do this. I used to have a Toshiba e550g and a host cable, along with a 20GB Archos MiniHD. I have 15 GB of mp3's on the drive. Now that I have an iPAQ 2215, I can't use the drive, unless I want to spend $130 for a CF usb host adapter.

I used to be able to play movies from the drive also, on the e550g's 4 inch screen (PocketTV Enterprise Edition). I love my iPAQ, but I miss the usb host and the big screen. Even after all the HP bashing, I was leaning towards the 4700, but I may wait and see if the Toshiba e830 shows up in the States in a retail channel.