View Full Version : Memory Issues

ToddJ
08-15-2004, 04:24 PM
I just bought a 256mb SD card. I thought it would solve all the issues when I use a few different programs (especially Internet Explorer) where it runs out of memory. however, I am still getting those errors. Is there a way to have the IE save the temporary files on the memory card?

victore
08-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Make sure IE is not running. Move your “Temporary Internet Files” folder and its subfolders from the “Windows” folder to the storage card. Edit the following registry values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet SettingsCacheContent

Change the “CachePath” from “WindowsTemporary Internet Files” to “Storage CardTemporary Internet Files”.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet SettingsCachePaths

Make the change to the “Directory” value.

Now make the same changes to the “Path1”, “Path2”, etc sub keys.

NOTE: After doing this, you must have the storage card installed while browsing the internet. So if you use the CF slot for a modem or network card and also have a CF storage card, you can’t have both installed at the same time.

christheswiss
08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
If your'e afraid to do the hack yourself, MemMaid by Dinarsoft will do it for you.

Kati Compton
08-16-2004, 05:56 AM
Also, depending on WHICH PPC you have the name of the storage card might be different. For example, on the Axim X5 it's "SD Card" I believe.

ToddJ
08-16-2004, 07:18 PM
what do the rest of you do?

JustinGTP
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Sometimes when memory gets low on my 2215, it asks if I want to convert storage card memory into program memory. I always hit yes and it never seems to work very well. :evil:

Kati Compton
08-16-2004, 07:31 PM
what do the rest of you do?
At the moment, I do not browse from my PPC, as I don't have wifi or bluetooth. I'm just going to wait until my "next" PPC instead of getting a card.

But, I also install almost everything to my SD card whenever possible unless the instructions indicate it needs to be installed to RAM. Or if it's something like PI or FlexWallet that I use all the time. It helps to leave a lot more memory free.

ToddJ
08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
is there any way to have the Temporary Internet Files folder delete the files automatically after a certain period of time? that folder fills up really, really quick...

ToddJ
08-24-2004, 10:47 PM
is there a way to have the temp folder switch from the storage card to the ppc when the storage card is not in it?

ToddJ
08-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Victore,

Is this that safe to do?

victore
08-26-2004, 05:15 AM
ToddJ, it's safe to perform the registry hack. Another hack you can try is to limit the amount of space that the temp ie files occupy. Here's what you'll need to modify:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

You will have to change the DWORD Data to any value of your preference from 512 up to 19456. These values reflect the size in KB.

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 2048
Base Decimal

The above change will limit the size of the cache to 2MB.

To empty the cache, you can either do it manually or you can use something like this: http://www.valksoft.com/SpaceReclaimer.html

Underwater Mike
08-26-2004, 04:14 PM
You can also use RegKing.