View Full Version : Does this mean I'm not a geek anymore?

Ryan Joseph
07-31-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm proud of being a geek.

My friends call me that in an attempt to insult me, but I always answer, "Thank you."

However, I'm afraid I might be losing my Geek status. I want to buy a car and I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my Pocket PC to help finance it.

Most people can't say that, but when you consider that my i-mate can fetch close to $800 on eBay, that can be significant when buying a $5000 used car.

I'll be buying another one...a much cheaper one, so I won't be totally without. But the fact that I'm so seriously considering this worries me a little.

So what do you guys think? Does selling my PPC for a car disqualify me from Geekdom? Should I turn in my PPCT membership? :wink:

surur
07-31-2004, 07:02 PM
You certainly have your priorities screwed up.

I'm certain there must be a woman involved in there somewhere :)

Surur

Jonathon Watkins
07-31-2004, 10:07 PM
So what do you guys think? Does selling my PPC for a car disqualify me from Geekdom? Should I turn in my PPCT membership? :wink:

I think you are doing the right thing for the right reason. You are a geek because that is what is inside you. You external possessions merely are adornments that point to the fact. :wink:

Come, join us again in PPC ownership in the near future. Until then, you will remain a Pocket PC Thinker (No Pocket PC required). :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
07-31-2004, 10:43 PM
I'll be buying another one...a much cheaper one, so I won't be totally without.
Good--otherwise it's hard to be a reviewer on PPCT... ;)

Jonathon Watkins
07-31-2004, 10:45 PM
I'll be buying another one...a much cheaper one, so I won't be totally without.
Good--otherwise it's hard to be a reviewer on PPCT... ;)

You know, I missed that part of Ryan's tag? :lol:

In that case, "You are doing the WRONG thing for the right reason". :wink:

shawnc
07-31-2004, 11:30 PM
My friends call me that in an attempt to insult me, but I always answer, "Thank you."

Don't let em get to you Ryan. As a non-techie, whenever I refer to folks on this site as geeks, I always do it with envy and a tint of jealously. Maybe you view of the world changes as you age (geez, I hope it does) but if anyone wants to insult me, they sure couldn't do it by calling me a geek.

Kowalski
08-01-2004, 12:14 AM
do whatever you want to do, if i were you i wouldnt mind wheater people call me geek or stupid or something else.
but it is for sure that you will loose your position here

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2004, 12:21 AM
but it is for sure that you will loose your position here

Ummm, after a 'humorous' statement like that it is usual to put in a smiley, to show you don't really mean it..... :)

urugoof
08-01-2004, 12:35 AM
I have to agree with Jonathon, it's the geek inside that counts.

Of course, if you buy a Geo or something than you can have a car and still be a geek! :) :)

Steven Cedrone
08-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Well, while you are without a Pocket PC, I would suggest a propeller beanie. Everyone will point to you and call you a geek! :wink:

Steve

Brad Adrian
08-01-2004, 03:51 AM
Well, if you're really worried about losing your Geek standing, you can always get yourself a SCOTTeVEST!

Ryan Joseph
08-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the sentiment, everyone. I really appreciate it. :werenotworthy:

And I would never dream of going without a PPC for any reason, including a car. I'll probably downgrade to the XDA I, which can be had on eBay for under $200.

Once you've lived with a PPC (and GPRS Internet for that matter) you can't go back..even for a cool car. I still need one. :)

And I'm not worried that by downgrading my hardware I won't be a geek anymore...what's bothering me is that I'm downgrading to use the money for a non-geeky purpose. :wink:

Of course, once I have the car, I can buy all kinds of in-car gadgets :mrgreen:

But I really am greatful for all your replies. Thanks!

Jon Westfall
08-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the sentiment, everyone. I really appreciate it. :werenotworthy:

And I would never dream of going without a PPC for any reason, including a car. I'll probably downgrade to the XDA I, which can be had on eBay for under $200.

Once you've lived with a PPC (and GPRS Internet for that matter) you can't go back..even for a cool car. I still need one. :)

And I'm not worried that by downgrading my hardware I won't be a geek anymore...what's bothering me is that I'm downgrading to use the money for a non-geeky purpose. :wink:

Of course, once I have the car, I can buy all kinds of in-car gadgets :mrgreen:

But I really am greatful for all your replies. Thanks!

It could be worse... you could be shunning your PPC for ULTRA-ungeeky purposes, such as a This (http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/productbinder.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=prod60041&driverName=size&driverValue=Monarch&%2Ffranklincovey%2Fcatalog%2FSKUFilterFormHandler.submit=true&_D%3A%2Ffranklincovey%2Fcatalog%2FSKUFilterFormHandler.submit=+&_DARGS=%2Fshopping%2Fcatalog%2Fskunavigationbinder.jspf.1) or some other such nonsense.

A friend of mine got a Chevy Nova a few years back for $800, more or less an imate, and the thing looked bad but ran him around for atleast 2 years and is still on the road today. So With that chunk of change for an i-mate, you should be able to get at LEAST something better than that, and $5,000 can get you a nice deal on a 1995 Cadillac :)

Ryan Joseph
08-01-2004, 05:26 PM
So With that chunk of change for an i-mate, you should be able to get at LEAST something better than that, and $5,000 can get you a nice deal on a 1995 Cadillac :)

Exactly. The money from the i-mate will really help. And the car I'm looking at is a 1997 Mustang. :mrgreen:

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. The more I think about it, I'd rather the Mustang than the i-mate. :D

maximus
08-02-2004, 01:50 AM
The more I think about it, I'd rather the Mustang than the i-mate. :D

That's it. You are no longer welcomed here. Good riddance. Dont let the door hit you on the back.

:p :wink:

JimPAQ
08-02-2004, 06:22 AM

That's it. You are no longer welcomed here. Good riddance. Dont let the door hit you on the back.

I have to agree. I was with you up until this comment. I can understand having a basic need to own a car to get you to and from work. After all, the car gets you to work to make money to buy more accessories for your PDA. But to hold the car in higher status then the PDA, that's just wrong man... just wrong. :wink:

--Jim

Jon Westfall
08-02-2004, 07:12 AM

I have to agree. I was with you up until this comment. I can understand having a basic need to own a car to get you to and from work. After all, the car gets you to work to make money to buy more accessories for your PDA. But to hold the car in higher status then the PDA, that's just wrong man... just wrong. :wink:

--Jim

Yea... it is just wrong - seriously Ryan - a MUSTANG??? :?

kosmicki
08-02-2004, 07:15 AM
Hmm, could not give up my geeky toys for anything.

Seriously.

(Ok, life of a family member maybe... depends what one..)

ctmagnus
08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Hmm, could not give up my geeky toys for anything.

Seriously.

(Ok, life of a family member maybe... depends what one..)

Exactly.

Ryan Joseph
08-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Well. It's sure good to know that I have friends here. :wink:

You guys were all behind me, saying that you understood the need for a car and that the true geek is inside, and that specific hardware didn't matter..........until you learned what kind of car I was looking at.

Yes, it's true. I really want the Mustang. But I really want to keep my
i-mate, too. If my choice is downgrade to XDA I and get the Mustang, or keep the i-mate and no Mustang, then I'll downgrade. But if there's any way for me to keep the i-mate, believe me, I will.

But I'm not completely jumping the PPC ship for the car ship. Get it? :)

Plus, if you notice, my comment that seems to have everyone fired up did have a smiley face after it:

Thus signifying that I was making a humorous remark. :mrgreen:

(but thanks for the laughs, I've really enjoyed reading this thread!)

arebelspy
08-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Good choice on the Mustang. I've had a 99 convertable for a few years and love it. I got rid of my iMate awhile back, but I still have about 8-10 PPCs currently, but most of them (3-5) are 2210s :(

If I were you, I'd be selling the iMate FAST. The prices on those things are DROPPING because of all the new PPC phones (iPAQ 6000 and soon MDA III and MPx).. already the iPAQ 6000 is available soon for only $500.

You can now get a BRAND NEW one for $645 (in stock and it is unlocked) right here: http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=108654

Your used one will likely go for less than that, with the amount you get for it dropping nonstop (this is why I sold mine months ago, cause I knew the new PPC phones would greatly devalue it). :(

Sell it, get the car and a cheaper PPC for a few hundred, then upgrade the PPC to something good (one of the VGA ones I'd say) when you have the funds. :)

-arebelspy

kosmicki
08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
but I still have about 8-10 PPCs currently, but most of them (3-5) are 2210s :(

Why so many? 8O

Ryan Joseph
08-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Good choice on the Mustang.

Thank you. :) I love the car and if I end up getting it, I'll post a picture here for you guys.

I got rid of my iMate awhile back...

Yes, I know. You sold it to me, remember? :D That was before I joined the Review Team and I was still ryaninc. No regrets, though. It's the best device I've ever owned, hands down.

If I were you, I'd be selling the iMate FAST. The prices on those things are DROPPING because of all the new PPC phones...

Yeah, that's a concern of mine, too. Hmmmm...more to think about.

Sell it, get the car and a cheaper PPC for a few hundred, then upgrade the PPC to something good (one of the VGA ones I'd say) when you have the funds. :)

Exactly. I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to do. :mrgreen:

Ryan Joseph
12-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Well. I just realized today that I'd completely forgotten to give all of you an update on what I decided to do. Sorry, I didn't abandon you; I've just been busy. But now that finals are over, I can divert my mental energies elsewhere.

So here's the update. I didn't get the 1997 Mustang. That deal fell through. Instead, I got a 1999 Mustang. :mrgreen:

Yep, it's true. My very first car is a Stang. And I love it!

Plus, I didn't have to sell my i-mate to afford it. I did end up selling the i-mate, but because I wanted to drop it while I could still get something for it. And now Viki keeps me company as I cruse around. Don't worry, I haven't abandoned Pocket PCs for cars...I've always been interested in both. :-)

Anyway, that's my story. And here's my baby. I put the stripes on myself. It was easy. If any of you are in the Philadelphia area and want help striping your car, let me know. :mrgreen:
And if you're ever driving in the Philly suburbs and see a black Mustang with white stripes, it's probably me.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/7636/side.JPG

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/7636/front.JPG

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/7636/rear.JPG

Hey, come to think of it, how cool would it be if I could give Viki some racing stripes? That'd be hot. I might try it. I've got some vinyl left over from the car job...I'll see what I can do and I'll post pictures if it works.

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I take it there's not much snow where you live?

I would never buy a rear-wheel drive car. ;)

Ryan Joseph
12-16-2004, 09:11 PM

I would never buy a rear-wheel drive car. ;)

There's not too much snow. We get a few good storms every winter, but the streets are always clear within a few hours, so I'm not worried. If I ever need to actually drive IN the snow, I'll just take it slow.

But on nice, dry roads, the RWD is really sweet. Much more control.....not that I've tested it or anything. :worried:

Pat Logsdon
12-16-2004, 09:44 PM
If I ever need to actually drive IN the snow, I'll just take it slow.
Just throw a few bags of sand in the trunk and you'll be fine. :wink:

Ryan Joseph
12-16-2004, 09:51 PM
If I ever need to actually drive IN the snow, I'll just take it slow.
Just throw a few bags of sand in the trunk and you'll be fine. :wink:

Actually a friend of mine said not to use sand...use cinderblocks instead. He used sand once and one of the bags split open. He said he's still finding sand throughout the car. :?

Pat Logsdon
12-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Actually a friend of mine said not to use sand...use cinderblocks instead. He used sand once and one of the bags split open. He said he's still finding sand throughout the car. :?
True - that would suck. By the same token, don't use fertilizer bags. :mrgreen:

Ryan Joseph
12-16-2004, 10:03 PM
True - that would suck. By the same token, don't use fertilizer bags. :mrgreen:

Ewwwww. :pukeface2: Yeah, I can just see the guy at the store:

"What are you buying fertilizer for? It's December."
"It's to weigh my trunk down for snow driving."
"Huh?"
"Yeah, I just like the smell of manure."

Of course, that'd be a great way to turn off the chick-magnet factor of my car. :mrgreen: Not that I'd ever want to.......

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:36 AM

What's snow?

8) Ducks and runs...

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 05:53 AM

What's snow?

8) Ducks and runs...

Hey, man... I *like* snow. When I was just in Australia last week, it was awfully strange to see Santa in his big red coat and mittens in weather that was 85F and raining. While "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" plays in the background...? And then what's the sleigh for? Is it converted for ocean use down there? A little jet-ski action maybe?

Having always lived in the midwest region of the States, it's difficult to fathom non-cold Christmases... :P

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Hey, man... I *like* snow.

Actually, don't get me wrong. I like snow too. Despite where I live, I'm practically immune to cold weather. I was up at the slopes on a ski trip around 5 months ago. Boy, I loved it! :)

Having always lived in the midwest region of the States, it's difficult to fathom non-cold Christmases... :P

I've yet to experience a "white" Christmas. :P

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Well, I had a white Thanksgiving, so I'm not sure that Christmas will be. The picturesque holiday atmosphere may have been used up!

Vidge
12-17-2004, 04:55 PM

That makes two of us - and the chance of experiencing one this year is pretty slim.

Actually - it's OK for me. I have to travel on Christmas day and I enjoy being able to be outside with my nieces and nephews playing with their new toys :D

Janak Parekh
12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Don't worry, you're not missing much. Shoveling isn't fun. :P We've talked about trading places, right? :lol: (I'm also mostly immune to reasonably cold weather, it's just that I don't care for it. :))

Kati - both NY and Philly get quite a bit less snow than your corner of the world. For instance, it's rare to have a white Christmas here. In the last 10 years or so, we've only had one year with decent snow. So, we just have a cold Christmas, not a white one. Rarely worth it.

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
12-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Kati - both NY and Philly get quite a bit less snow than your corner of the world. For instance, it's rare to have a white Christmas here. In the last 10 years or so, we've only had one year with decent snow. So, we just have a cold Christmas, not a white one. Rarely worth it.

Agreed, though in the UK we have had about three of the last 10 years with snow. Bring on the warm weather!

marcm
12-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Hmm... If you don't want to loose your geekiness, you could always make your license plate "PPC LVR" or use the extra vinyl to put a picture of a Pocket PC on the front... :D

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 04:02 AM
That makes two of us - and the chance of experiencing one this year is pretty slim.

But note the use of your word: *chance*

Unless global climatic conditions go into major disarray, I'll be experiencing a summer Christmas for many years to come. :)

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Don't worry, you're not missing much. Shoveling isn't fun. :P We've talked about trading places, right? :lol:

Of course. :)

Bring on the warm weather!

Christmas party at mine! :mrgreen: :drinking:

:rotfl:

frankenbike
12-18-2004, 08:21 AM
I've never seen a "White Christmas" in Los Angeles (I was born here).

But then, Christmas around my house is weird anyway. My in-laws fly in for the day from Northern California, and our "traditional" Christmas meal is grilled chicken tacos (this wouldn't be weird if any of us were Latinos, but none of us are). I guess it's a California thing.

My wife and I also join a bunch of friends for a New Year's motorcycle ride that's usually around 300 miles. Generally, not a flake of snow to be found.

===============================================

On the original topic, a car trumps a PPC. One you obtain a car, you get a PPC specifically that will fit within your need to set up a Car-Fi system, complete with wireless HDD, maps for everyplace in the world, and you make the door locks and electric windows operable from your PPC through Bluetooth.

IOW, a car provides all sorts of possibilities for new levels of geektitude.

Ryan Joseph
12-18-2004, 03:50 PM
On the original topic, a car trumps a PPC. One you obtain a car, you get a PPC specifically that will fit within your need to set up a Car-Fi system, complete with wireless HDD, maps for everyplace in the world, and you make the door locks and electric windows operable from your PPC through Bluetooth.

IOW, a car provides all sorts of possibilities for new levels of geektitude.

Well said. And you've got me drooling at the possibility of controling everything with Bluetooth. Is such a thing possible? Hmmm...must look into this.

But about snow. Right now it is in the high 30s outside and is going up to 40-something today. I am anything but imune to cold weather. I can't stand it. I hate being cold and always wear a sweater during the winter months...even indoors.

But I like white Christmases. The couple times it's happened have been really cool. And there's a chance it'll happen this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And I agree with Janak...shoveling isn't much fun. I read once that an hour of heavy shoveling is the equivalent workout of running 8 miles. 8O

Jonathon Watkins
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Christmas party at mine! :mrgreen: :drinking:

:rotfl:

You already offered old boy, and we're taking you up on it! Shall we say the 25th of December at 19:00? :wink:

Pat Logsdon
12-18-2004, 06:32 PM
You already offered old boy, and we're taking you up on it! Shall we say the 25th of December at 19:00? :wink:
I'll bring the nog! :mrgreen:

SteveHoward999
12-18-2004, 09:36 PM
1, You got it way wrong, buy a cheaper car!

2, I know where there is a great Jaguar V12 for sale for $3500!

3, I moved to Mississippi from England this summer. Still waiting for winter to hit. Someone told me that sometimes they get winter here for two or three weeks in January ... no white Christmas for me! (currently basking in 62f blazing sunshine).

Darius Wey
12-19-2004, 04:37 AM

No complaints on this side of the world. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
No complaints on this side of the world. :mrgreen:
Better bring your swimming trunks, guys. Forecast says low 64, high 90 on the 25th in Perth. ;)

--janak

frankenbike
12-20-2004, 12:41 AM
1, You got it way wrong, buy a cheaper car!

2, I know where there is a great Jaguar V12 for sale for $3500!

Heh, it'll be great once you do the standard "old Jag" mod and drop a small block Chevy engine in that thing.

It must be nice to drive a Jag V12 when it's new, before it starts taking on the personality of a cranky old man.

3, I moved to Mississippi from England this summer.

DAAAAYum! Now that must be some culture shock!

But fear not. Unlike Southern California, which doesn't get much in the way of weather unless you're in the mountains, Mississippi gets all kinds. Heat and humidity, tropical and really violent thunderstorms and tornadoes are all part of the fun.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Forecast says low 64, high 90 on the 25th in Perth. ;)

You're lucky. That's considered cool. ;)

It certainly hasn't been that blissful the past week or so. :multi:

Anyway, I'll get the BBQ ready. :)

Kati Compton
12-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Forecast says low 64, high 90 on the 25th in Perth. ;)

You're lucky. That's considered cool. ;)
I'm sorry, my maximum operating temperature is between 80F and 85F depending on humidity.

Janak Parekh
12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm sorry, my maximum operating temperature is between 80F and 85F depending on humidity.
:P I've been watching Perth weather just for fun, just to see how Darius's whining stacks up, and it's weird. For example, it had hit 90 degrees yesterday at 9AM Western Australia Standard Time, but had gone down to the upper 80s by 3PM. And this is all without clouds.

And meanwhile, I hear the radio announcer cheerfully say this morning, "Good morning! It's 12 degrees outside". <shiver> And right now, it's 13F/-11C. Wheee. Where's the "shivering" emoticon when you need it?

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
12-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Where's the "shivering" emoticon when you need it?

So lets pester Ed to add one. :twisted:

SteveHoward999
12-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Heh, it'll be great once you do the standard "old Jag" mod and drop a small block Chevy engine in that thing.

It must be nice to drive a Jag V12 when it's new, before it starts taking on the personality of a cranky old man.

Hmmm - you must have found bad ones. I drove old Jags for the last 3 years or so in the UK ... aside from kids running over the top of one (yeah really!!) they ran like clockwork for me. Oh --- the rear bumber fell off one ;-) Lovely thing to drive. I only drove old pre-Ford machines, so I doubt I would have wanted to taint them with Yankie iron under the bonnet.

3, I moved to Mississippi from England this summer.

DAAAAYum! Now that must be some culture shock!

But fear not. Unlike Southern California, which doesn't get much in the way of weather unless you're in the mountains, Mississippi gets all kinds. Heat and humidity, tropical and really violent thunderstorms and tornadoes are all part of the fun.

We had frost this morning :-)

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
12-21-2004, 01:30 AM

I had snow and ice where I work. :?

Ryan Joseph
12-21-2004, 02:41 AM

I had snow and ice where I work. :?

I woke up this morning to find the doors on my car frozen shut. It was around 7 degrees F. when I left for work at 9 a.m. Very, very cold. :|

But it's supposed to be near 60 degrees by Thursday. :? It'll practicly be tropical by Christmas. Weird. But I can still hope for snow!

Darius Wey
12-21-2004, 02:58 AM
:P I've been watching Perth weather just for fun, just to see how Darius's whining stacks up, and it's weird. For example, it had hit 90 degrees yesterday at 9AM Western Australia Standard Time, but had gone down to the upper 80s by 3PM. And this is all without clouds.

I don't whine about the weather. I wine though. :drinking: ;)

And meanwhile, I hear the radio announcer cheerfully say this morning, "Good morning! It's 12 degrees outside". <shiver> And right now, it's 13F/-11C. Wheee. Where's the "shivering" emoticon when you need it?

Haha - uh, Merry Christmas? :)

Janak Parekh
12-21-2004, 03:00 AM
But I can still hope for snow!
Well, at least for the Eastern seaboard, snow around Christmas is rare. But it's still very cold -- much colder than London, and certainly very much colder than Perth. It only topped out today around 18F/-7C, and now it's back to 13F/-10C. Tomorrow it'll break freezing at least. :P

--janak

maximus
12-22-2004, 07:23 AM
So what is everyone's holiday plan ? Travelling ? Staying at home ?

Steven Cedrone
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Staying at home ?

How about "satying on topic?"... :wink: Well, I guess we can forget about that! Man you guys know how to derail a thread! But, since Ryan Joseph
is one of the derailers (is that a word?) I guess I really can't complain! I plan on being out near Janak Christmas Eve, then in New Jersey Christmas Day...

The forcast for Christmas for my area was snow! It has since been changed to just COLD! :D

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I plan on cranking out the BBQ, roasting a few things here and there, maybe go to the beach, etc. :)

Ryan Joseph
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
So what is everyone's holiday plan ? Travelling ? Staying at home ?

*watch this*
If we end up getting the weather they're calling for, I'll probably be driving on Christmas. (how's that for getting back on topic?)

Seriously, though, I couldn't care less. I love it when conversation moves from one random topic to another. And yes, I was one of the derailers (not a word (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=derailer), but I like it!).

My Christmas plans are to stay home. Then I'll be driving with my family out to Iowa to visit relatives between Christmas and New Year. Should be fun. :wink:

maximus
12-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Down here, the temperature is around 27-28 centigrade during the day.
Which is quite nice compared to the average 30-33 centigrade that we usually experienced.

No snow, of course.

Phillip Dyson
12-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Hey, come to think of it, how cool would it be if I could give Viki some racing stripes? That'd be hot. I might try it. I've got some vinyl left over from the car job...I'll see what I can do and I'll post pictures if it works.

Who is Viki?
Are you talking about putting racing stripes on your wife/girlfriend? 8O

Ryan Joseph
12-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Who is Viki?
Are you talking about putting racing stripes on your wife/girlfriend? 8O

Ha ha! :lol:

I probably should have put a link in that original comment. Viki is my Navman PiN Pocket PC. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,32435)