View Full Version : Will your next Pocket PC be from HPs new Ipaq range ?

Shaun Stuart
07-31-2004, 03:11 PM
I have read quite a bit of negative (and some positive) feedback on the new HP ipaq range.

I get the impression that HP may have dropped the ball this time around but would like to get an overview of what others think.

Your thoughts please.....

mrkablooey
07-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Looking at Dell's x30. The 47xx is too big. If I wanted that kind of size, I'd carry my 12" ibook :?

Sven Johannsen
07-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I voted I'm satisfied with what I have, which is true, but not getting another for twelve months is a lie. Unfortunately at this point, with what appears to be a serious deficiency in the style department at HP, the fall PPC lineup looks a lot like the election options...the lesser of two evils.

I'm sitting here with a 4155 and an X30 and the only thing I don't get on the 4155 is landscape. Whoop-te-doo. What I do get is a beautifully styled PPC (IMHO). Yes it cost more, but at the time I bought it there was no competition. The X30 is cheaper, but it's a bigger box.

As far as the new HP line, there is just nothing compelling. Nothing that stands out on features, function or style. The only one that interests me is the 6300, as long as I can get one sans camera. It would be about the only current PPCPE that doesn't have to have a camera. Memory and processor are unfortunately a step backward. Maybe that is what accounts for the reportedly great battery life...but still.

What would really be interesting is if Dell releases a new model that adds VGA to the X30, and maybe 128M of RAM and/or ROM, plus a CF slot? I expect they could do that for less than $500 easily. It might not be pretty...but then it would be competing with the 4700, so big deal.

Maybe Sony is quietly thinking about doing a Windows Mobile device :wink: Ha!

Shaun Stuart
07-31-2004, 06:22 PM
As far as the new HP line, there is just nothing compelling. Nothing that stands out on features, function or style.

I have to agree with this. Maybe I will change my mind when I can actually handle the devices in person but the reviews I have read so far do not fill me with much hope.

I think there is possibly a bigger issue at stake here for Microsoft. The original Ipaqs are what really propelled Pocket PCs into popularity. The Jornadas were great but it was the Ipaq that became the coolest PDA to own and the reason why so may Palm and Psion users jumped camp.

If I were a new buyer and walked into a store in the next few weeks to be presented with an rz1715 or a palm device, like the T3 or even a zire, I am not sure anyone could convince me the Ipaq was the one to go for.

If this becomes the case then we may be witnessing a slip up in the Pocket PC vs Palm battle for supremecy.

Having said that, with Sony withdrawing from the market the choices for Palm are reducing. Maybe HP are doing the smart thing, less competition so we dont need to be too innovative - lets use the Ipaq brand and make a higher return on what we already have.

If this turns out to be the case lets hope Dell, Fujitsu and others dont take the same attitude.

dh
07-31-2004, 06:33 PM
If I were looking for a Pocket PC I would certainly consider the 4700, along with the Loox and the A730. I would have zero interest in any device that doesn't give me two expansion slots and VGA.

The 4700 doesn't look too pretty in the pictures - to be fair none of the VGA PPCs do - so I would be interested in seeing one in real life.

The most tempting Ipaq for me would have been 5500 form factor with CF slot and VGA screen added. Since that line is now officially history, that's obviously no longer a possibility.

Zab
07-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Voted happy with what i have. I have a brand new Dell X30 (624) and it is doing everything i want and more when i get money for more software.

shawnc
07-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Sven summed up my feelings perfectly (minus the X30 part). I'm a toy person always looking for something new. I don't think I've seen a new product that didn't cause me to drool at some level. Maybe I'm finally maturing (yeah, right) but no matter how much I try I simply can't get excited about any of the new HP's. NONE OF THEM! Did these folks totally forget that size matters when purchasing a PDA. It's not the ONLY thing of importance, but its pretty high on the list. For HP not to take the 4150 and improve on it by either making it smaller, or keeping the same size, adding more features (how about wireless "G") is just beyond me.

Naw, I'll be keeping my 4150 for at least another 12 months. Who knows, maybe I wasn't fibbing when I promised my wife that this would be my last PDA I purchase.

Kowalski
08-01-2004, 12:16 AM
i am considering to buy a handheld pc so my fancy 2215 will do its job gently more than a year for sure

urugoof
08-01-2004, 12:25 AM
I voted for the "satisfied with current" because I have an e800 and aside from the new processor, the 4700 doesn't really have enough to make me defect. And the others don't even count, after having a VGA screen for so long, I can't go back to QVGA... I won't!!

It's too bad HP went for the "ugly as sin" style for the new lineup. Of course looks aren't everything, but there isn't really anything to set them apart from the current contenders. I still lament the fact that Sony never entered the PPC market; they could have beaten some innovation into HP if it killed them.

Falstaff
08-01-2004, 02:29 AM
My e755 still does everything I need it to now, I don't know about the next 12 months though. My next PPC will be a VGA, but I'm turned away from the Loox and Asus models because of the camera and smaller screens. As for teh 4700, I don't think the touchpad is ideal, though I'll have to play with one first. I think my next PDA will be the e830 if it really is coming, but that won't be for 6 months probably, after teh price drops a little.

Rob Alexander
08-01-2004, 03:21 AM
The hx4705 is the only one of the new line that I'd even consider but between the price and the size, I don't really find it compelling right now. I'm happy with my 2215 and will quietly (or not so quietly as the case may be) wait until someone releases something I can really get excited about. Really, if I could have anything I wanted, I'd just ask them to make a 2215 with built-in WiFi and a VGA screen (oh, and side grips that stay on). If they could do that, I'd go right out and buy it today.

Shaun Stuart
08-01-2004, 06:27 PM
i am considering to buy a handheld pc so my fancy 2215 will do its job gently more than a year for sure

I was considering the same thing - perhaps even a larger type of handheld like the flipstart or the Sony u70 and then purchasing a smartphone. The only problem is I have invested so much in pocket pc software it would be a waste.

Jon Westfall
08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
i am the (for now) lone 6315 vote. After selling my I-mate, and carrying 2 devices again, I NEED to be converged soon! I'm also praying the functionality of the machine will make up for the puny processor / RAM.

Shaun Stuart
08-01-2004, 09:34 PM
I noticed that although many people have viewed the poll (over 200) not many are voting - have I missed an option or two or is this just normal ?

whatsnext?
08-01-2004, 11:00 PM
right now i am quite happy with my soon to be arriving 4155. yeah not having landscape doesnt really bother me. but i cant say what will happen in the next 12 months, let alone the next 6. yes the 63xx looks cool but i dont like the antenna bit. that bugs me. it is also kinda bulky...

Jon Westfall
08-02-2004, 12:16 AM
right now i am quite happy with my soon to be arriving 4155. yeah not having landscape doesnt really bother me. but i cant say what will happen in the next 12 months, let alone the next 6. yes the 63xx looks cool but i dont like the antenna bit. that bugs me. it is also kinda bulky...

Its strange. The antenna on my t-mobile pocket pc never really bugged me (It did help a lot of skeptics believe it was a cell phone...). When I got my I-Mate, I sorta missed having the antenna as the I-Mate just looked too lightweight & flimsy to be a phone/BT device (And man, did BT suck on the i-mate...). So now, with the prospect of getting a 6315, an antenna almost looks good to me.

Although the snub antenna on my 5555 is getting a bit annoying now...

Ryan Joseph
08-02-2004, 01:02 AM
I voted "abandoning the PPC," although that's not entirely true.

While I am probably abandoning my current PPC (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30734), I will be buying another, cheaper one, so.....8)

I think this is the first poll ever where I wasn't able to honestly vote. Kind of nice, actually. :wink:

Pat Logsdon
08-02-2004, 01:08 AM
I'll be jumping the HP ship as soon as the uber Asus A730 gets released. I'm severely underwhelmed by the entire new HP lineup. Until then, I'm quite happy with my 4150. :mrgreen:

juni
08-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Unless HP changes their upgrade policy my next (VGA) pocket pc will certainly not be a HP device (+ the new ones are pretty ugly).

Darius Wey
08-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Since recent events occurred, I'm leaning more towards Toshiba now.

NewYork Boy
08-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Need a “Maybe” column. Maybe I’ll get the hx4705, maybe not. Really need to see this PPC in person and, hopefully, compare it next to the LOOX 720 and the ASUS A730. Although I don’t want a camera on a PPC, I also don’t want a PPC that’s too big for a pocket. Also, still not sure about that touchpad :roll:

Shaun Stuart
08-02-2004, 06:03 PM

I agree with your comments on the antenna, and although the 63xx appears to have all the right ingredients for a great Phone Edition, I cant help feeling that its overall design looks a year old. I cant wait for the MPx to be released.

whatsnext?
08-02-2004, 07:53 PM
i think i will get spoiled because my 4155 has an internal antenna. for some reason hp dislikes that. i need to have a few words with the designers.

hmmm... i distincly remember a few months ago that everyone was saying it was cool and neat looking. i think it has some cool tech in it but it is ugly. andway too boxy. HP you were doing so well! why did you have to go and ruin it?