View Full Version : Formatting the unformattable

ctmagnus
07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
This morning the write-protect tab popped off one of my 256MB SD cards. The card still works although I am unable to write to it. Lexar wants me to send it in before they send me a replacemant.

I have some personal data on that card that I don't really want anyone else getting their hands on, so is there any way to erase the data from the card even thoiugh it is eternally write-protected now?

dean_shan
07-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Is there a way you can flick the remaining tab back to write-enabled?

ctmagnus
07-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Is there a way you can flick the remaining tab back to write-enabled?

There is no remaining tab. ;)

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 12:51 AM
I have some personal data on that card that I don't really want anyone else getting their hands on, so is there any way to erase the data from the card even thoiugh it is eternally write-protected now?
I believe that the write protect tab shorts two contacts together to complete the write circuit, in which case it's strictly hardware-controlled. :( Someone posted pictures of their SD card dismantled here 6 months ago or so; if you could find that it might be of some help in confirming one way or the other.

--janak

Nullzero
07-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Maybe a couple strong magnets? That always seems to have a pretty negative effect on electronics ;D

-----
Nullzero

dean_shan
07-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah but this is not a floppy or a HD. This is flash based memory.

netboy_my
07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
This might sound stupid but how about burning your SD card so that it's unreadable and then send it back to Lexar?

Not sure whether Lexar would accept a burned SD card.