View Full Version : Zunerama Replicates Jason's Song Sharing Test

Damion Chaplin
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.zunerama.com/articles_011.php#070119_zune_story' target='_blank'>http://www.zunerama.com/articles_011.php#070119_zune_story</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;This week, Jason from ZuneThoughts noted some underwhelming wireless sharing results among Zune owners at CES, and from his own spot-checking. Zune's wireless sharing is described by Microsoft with a footnote - indicating that &quot;the Zune to Zune sharing feature may not be available for all audio files on your device&quot;. Curious about this, I conducted a test of my own. I pulled down the top 50 songs downloaded from Zune Marketplace, using my Zune Pass subscription. I then created a playlist of those 50 songs, and attempted to wirelessly send the whole playlist to my wife's Zune. When the transfer completed, a message appeared on my player: &quot;Can't send some songs because of rights restrictions. 29 of 50 songs sent to Carrie's Zune&quot;.&quot;</em></p><p>Well, even though everyone's acting as though Zunerama thought up the test, at least he gives Jason credit for having performed the initial test.&nbsp; And his results, that 58% of Zune Marketplace songs can't be shared, pretty much jive with Jason's 62% result.&nbsp; So there you have it.&nbsp; Personally I think that if the number were in the 30% failure range, Microsoft's 'mum' strategy might be fine, but when most (over 50%) of the songs can't be shared, it's time to clue us in and let us know which songs are share-able and which aren't.<br /></p>

Zunerama
01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, you are right. Jason started this and inspired me to carry on the test that I did. (Note: it was actually a 58% success rate, not failure rate.)

I know how you feel about the re-blogging phenomenon though... ClicZune piggybacked on the story with their look at which labels were the apparent culprits, so I think many blogs attribute the tests to C'Zune instead of Z'Thoughts or Z'rama.

Such is our web life. :)

NPrtmn4evr
01-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Well there's an "official" statement from Microsoft at Zune Insider regarding this issue. It still doesn't clear up ANYTHING, but at least it's something:rolleyes:

Here's the official Microsoft statement on wireless sharing: The Zune wireless sharing feature is a new experience for consumers and for the music industry and we will continue to make it better. We have seen strong support for this feature from Universal Music Group and Sony BMG Music Entertainment, as well as from other major and independent labels and music publishers, including BMG Music Publishing, Digital Music Group Inc., EMI Music, EMI Music Publishing, Independent Online Distribution Alliance (IODA), peermusic.com Inc., Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Sub Pop Records, SuperEgo Records, Warner Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music and many more. We will continue to work with the music industry to expand the number of songs that can be sent.
Note how UMG and Sony BMG are the first labels listed.
It's true, not every song can be sent. The idea of send is new, and its implementation is in a 1.0 stage. The team is continually working to improve the send technology and we're working with industry partners to expand the number of songs can be sent.

Edit 10:22 AM PDT: I also talked to a guy over at Universal Music Group, and here's the official statement from UMG:Contrary to recent and inaccurate reports, UMG has not prohibited its artists from participating in the Zune service. Nor has UMG restricted the ability of Zune users to transfer their music wirelessly so that others can enjoy it.

Along with Microsoft, UMG is working to offer the most extensive array of chart topping artists and hit music in the world to all Zune users.