View Full Version : Hotmail to Google: Me Too!

Jonathon Watkins
06-24-2004, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3835495.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3835495.stm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Hotmail is boosting the amount of storage space for users of both its free and paid e-mail service. From July the basic Hotmail allowance will be boosted to 250MB and paying customers will get two gigabytes. The move is widely seen as a response to Google's GMail service which gives all users a gigabyte of storage to keep all their messages."</i><br /><br />No, Hotmail's opportunism is just a tactical response to Google's generous offer of a free Gigabyte of mail storage space? :wink: Suits me. Competition is good, we like competition. 8) Now just to get Hotmail working well with the Pocket PC.....

dhpss
06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
I just installed Outlook 2003, and found out there is Hotmail service included in the email account settings.

Unlike the normal Pop3 accounts, On the left pane, Hotmail has it own inbox, outbox,sent, delete,..folders

If Outlook 2003 can be Hotmail client, then PocketPC can sync with Hotmail, right? (have not tried yet)

ppc_kiwi
06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
This is good for us basic users. Now I can send and receive bigger files.

Nice move Hotmail/Microsoft. :D :mrgreen:

ctitanic
06-24-2004, 02:29 PM
The only problem is that you canīt pop a hotmail account and that does not give you the oportunity of using any other email program but MS. I have not found any way to use hotmail with Opera, neither Mozilla.

bluewhirr
06-24-2004, 02:39 PM
You can use Hotmail with Mozilla/Thunderbird. Check out this link: http://2mod2.com/mohot/

Also, getting hotmail to work on a pocketpc is as easy as changing the client ID string in Netfront to something like Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) so Hotmail won't load the mobile version. Of course, you have to be using Netfront in the first place....lol.

David Johnston
06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
You can use Hotmail with Mozilla/Thunderbird. Check out this link: http://2mod2.com/mohot/

Slightly off-topic: I wonder how tricky it would be to create a ActiveSync module/plugin that could read e-mail, contacts and calendar from Thunderbird and sync it? I've been wondering about this for a while but not looked into it any further...

surur
06-24-2004, 02:52 PM
There are a variety of hotmail POP solutions (e.g hot2pop : ), but I never liked pop mail. I rather keep a copy of my important e-mails on the server, then it will be available on my pocketpc, desktop and laptop. The very low limit of 2Mb has made this difficult however, causing you to have to weed your e-mail constantly. i however have e-mail on my hotmail account from more than 2 years ago (with product keys etc in there).

250Mb is more than I'll likely need for a long time, and this negates G-mail's main advantage. Ive had my hotmail account for more than 10 years now (longer than Ive been married :) ) and with this announcement I am not planning on moving any time soon.

Ill have to buy am Imap client for hotmail though (e.g. izymail) to get some real value out of it.

(BTW, the person who said you can read hotmail in outlook 2003, its likely you can not synchronize it to your pocketpc)

Surur

sub_tex
06-24-2004, 03:02 PM
... but I never liked pop mail. I rather keep a copy of my important e-mails on the server, then it will be available on my pocketpc, desktop and laptop.

You could alwayd just choose to have POP leave a copy of the message on the server and you would in effect keep the setup you like in IMAP (you just loose the many othe rbenfits of IMAP). This way at least you can always have copies wherever you are.

I do that myself and it has always been a nice alternative for hotmail accounts or any other free email service that desn't offer POP.

Ryan Joseph
06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Yahoo is doing the same thing.

My brother uses Yahoo email and he got a message from them saying that their free email storage would be increased from 4MB to 100MB. Not bad. 8)

He also said the maximum size for an incoming email message was increased to 10MB. That's great news, because I try to send him large files all the time and Yahoo's always rejected them before.

Ah, good times. And they say email is dead (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29180). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
06-24-2004, 03:26 PM
I just installed Outlook 2003, and found out there is Hotmail service included in the email account settings.

Unlike the normal Pop3 accounts, On the left pane, Hotmail has it own inbox, outbox,sent, delete,..folders

If Outlook 2003 can be Hotmail client, then PocketPC can sync with Hotmail, right? (have not tried yet)

Nope, the PPC still only syncs with the regular Inbox, not the Hotmail Service one. If you have Hotmail you wish to sync, you can drag it into the regular Inbox, get HTTPMail (or something similar) or sign up for the, currently free, Pocket MSN. Just remember to cancel it if they don't get any better.

P.S. Outlook 2002 (XP) has the HTTP Mail feature as well.

Sven Johannsen
06-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Also, getting hotmail to work on a pocketpc is as easy as changing the client ID string in Netfront to something like Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) so Hotmail won't load the mobile version. Of course, you have to be using Netfront in the first place....lol.

Why would you want to? The mobile version of Hotmail works just fine on the PPC in PIE. There is just no offline capability going that way, just as there isn't on a desktop using a browser to access the HTTP mail.

Jonathon Watkins
06-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Ah, good times. And they say email is dead (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29180). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, they do, but it does also depend if you are just looking at your email client or the system as a whole..........

muaddip
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Yep, I am a SBC DSL user and imagine my surprise when last week, or was it the week before, I logged into my email and saw in the upper corner, "0% of 2.0GB" and I had over 700 messages, SWEET!!!!!.

For the primary SBC user they are giving the 2.0GB for free and all sub accounts get the 100MB. If you are a plain Jane Yahoo user you get the 100MB for free and you can get the 2GB for $19.99/year.

I know DSl is not a fast as Cable, but it is cheaper and personally I think the extra perks that SBC is giving me is well worth it. Just my opinion since I have never used Comcast and I don't know what you get besides the internet connection.

Ryan Joseph
06-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, they do, but it does also depend if you are just looking at your email client or the system as a whole..........

Very true. But I love email and I prefer to think that all these changes are for the better and that they'll preserve my favorite line of communication.

Of course, I suppose Spammers could take advantage of the higher storage space to send larger messages and attachments. That's a scary thought. :(

But, let's think on the bright side! Everything will be fine! :mrgreen:

serpico
06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
That's good news if only their junk filter worked properly. My family and friends emails still go to the junk folder even though I add them to the safe list. Also, important newsletters. I've had this address for many years, but still count on Yahoo and my 2GB account. I add this account to my PPC Inbox app and sync it through my wifi connection wherever I am. Sure beats starting PIE and going through the screens to find out if I have email.

Hotmail has always been a pain for many I know, and they have stopped using it. It's not reliable and we get too much junk. One day I had 1000 emails, c'mon now, how would I know if a family or friends email was in there. I wasn't going to filter all that email. Just not acceptable. Now that Hotmail is bumping up the account sizez, it just means that I'll get more junk email. Good thing I don't use the account for anything important anymore. 0X

orol
06-24-2004, 04:13 PM
That's good news if only their junk filter worked properly. My family and friends emails still go to the junk folder even though I add them to the safe list. Also, important newsletters. I've had this address for many years, but still count on Yahoo and my 2GB account. I add this account to my PPC Inbox app and sync it through my wifi connection wherever I am. Sure beats starting PIE and going through the screens to find out if I have email.

Hotmail has always been a pain for many I know, and they have stopped using it. It's not reliable and we get too much junk. One day I had 1000 emails, c'mon now, how would I know if a family or friends email was in there. I wasn't going to filter all that email. Just not acceptable. Now that Hotmail is bumping up the account sizez, it just means that I'll get more junk email. Good thing I don't use the account for anything important anymore. 0X

well, hotmail is great service for spammers. other then that, useless

beq
06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Another good thing seems to be the full McAfee server antivirus for all accounts, which supposedly removes viruses before ever reaching the user's Inbox (so you'd be protected even if accessing via O/OE client via HTTP Mail instead of the webmail)? Notice how they like to stress that in all the announcements, I suppose a dig at the new Yahoo Mail which does not do automatic cleaning for free accounts (so I assume in depends on the user manually cleaning those attachments in the webmail, via Symantec). What I'm not clear on, exactly what is the antivirus (and antispam) capability of Gmail? Been too lazy to test my account...

Seems waiting for Yahoo to make the first move now lets Hotmail one-up them? :)
"We have been intentionally quiet over this period, as we formulated our plans, and waited to see the Yahoo response, feeling it would be best to see how strong Yahoo's counter would be before going public with our own," Blake Irving, corporate vice president of MSN's Communication Services group, told employees.
Traditionally I liked Yahoo better though, still do. One thing is that MS (MSN/Hotmail) I don't think has finished rolling out their Google-like search technology? In Yahoo Mail I can use Yahoo's new search for my emails much like I can at Gmail (using Google's search).

Anyways Hotmail Plus's 20MB attachments is also an advantage. Otherwise they seem to state similar policy as Yahoo Mail Plus of no graphical ads (no ads at all?)? I wonder if either is also considering content-based text ads which has landed Google in hot water...

P.S. The thing I'm most excited about though, is supposedly a new (pay?) service to replace Exchange Server on the low end by enhancing the MSN Outlook Connector? I'm curious how this will be positioned. For individuals, a hosted Exchange account is expensive (starts at $7-8/month from the likes of eOutlook & 1and1, and $10-15+ from others).

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1614606,00.asp
Last week, Bruce Jaffe, the chief financial officer for the MSN division, told institutional investors at the Deutsche Bank Securities Media Conference in New York, to watch for Microsoft to launch a new small-business tool that makes use of Hotmail and Outlook technologies. It sounds as if this new tool will take the existing Office Outlook Connector for MSN technology a step further.

"Our first product here is going to be using Outlook that uses the Hotmail e-mail infrastructure. So you don't need to have an Exchange Server if you're a small business; you can just use Hotmail and you can have that synchronized experience, as well as the calendaring and everything else with other people who are on Hotmail. So that's taking some desk applications and services and bringing them online and marrying them with our communications back-end effort," Jaffe explained to analysts.

dean_shan
06-24-2004, 04:57 PM
This is perfect for my friends. They only have hotmail accounts and when people send them pictures it just maxes out. Now they'll be able to recieve more then two pics.

Jonathan1
06-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Sweet! More space for the deluge of spam I get on hotmail. :roll: Thanks but I'm going with a mail service that actually has FUNCTIONING filters.

Qman
06-24-2004, 05:09 PM
As far as getting Hotmail on the Pocket PC all one needs to do is buy and install HTTPMail provider 1.0. ($5.00)

HTTPMail provider 1.0 can be found at:
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539&associateid=148

surur
06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
As far as getting Hotmail on the Pocket PC all one needs to do is buy and install HTTPMail provider 1.0. ($5.00)

HTTPMail provider 1.0 can be found at:
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539&associateid=148

My big difficulty with that software is that it does not synchronise automatically (unlike normal mail I presume). You actually have to go to the mail client and initiate a download. With hotmail at only 2Mb it would have been ideal to carry all your mail on only one device. With 250Mb it becomes less feasible :)

Surur

bjornkeizers
06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
About bloody time Hotmail increased its account size. 2 mb means I have to clean out my mailbox every other day! At least with 250, I don't have to worry about mails not coming through.

I also hope they increase maximum attachment size. I really, really need bigger attachment. This is 2004 - not friggin' 1994.

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 08:43 PM

no, PPC only syncs with the default inbox and only in text not html

ctmagnus
06-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Ill have to buy am Imap client for hotmail though (e.g. izymail) to get some real value out of it.

I followed the instructions here (http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3088&highlight=hotmail) to setup my Hotmail account in Pocket Inbox. I managed to download my email into it and I instantly recieved an email from IzySoft Support regarding an IzyMail Online account activation.

However, I was unable to send email from that account.

Fabulas
06-24-2004, 10:33 PM
I pay $19.95 a year for MSN for 10mb so this is great! :D

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I did that for a year, I had to leave the pc for longer than it would take to fill the space availible ( I went on a scholl trip to Washinton DC and my home town[s] Stafford and Frederickburg Virginia)

it was full of the messages I was afraid of loosing and spam by the time I got back. :roll: spam :roll:

cmorris
06-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Sweet! More space for the deluge of spam I get on hotmail. :roll: Thanks but I'm going with a mail service that actually has FUNCTIONING filters.
Have you tried it recently? I agree it was brutal before, but now I just set the filter to "enhanced" and nary a spam makes it through to the inbox.

rmasinag
06-25-2004, 02:31 AM
I have forgiven hotmail since the spam filter actualy works when set to exclusive.

One word of advise for people. People who email me first time :D that are not on my safe list. I force them to put "This is not spam" as the subject heading and i can easly filter that out of the junk.

serpico
06-25-2004, 03:08 AM
That's a good idea, it would help filter your important emails just in case they don't come through. Until the spammers get smart and use that in their subject line! :mrgreen:

nategesner
06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
I subscribed to Yahoo! Plus a month ago and was pretty excited to see them increase the storage size to 2GB. However, I originally upgraded so I could have POP forwarding access, which comes included with Plus. Problem is, my firewall at work is still able to filter out anything from Yahoo, so it didn't solve my problem.

I'm using the "forwarding" function and just having all my Yahoo mail forwarded to work, which helps, but it's not the solution I wanted. Does anyone know how I can get my Yahoo mail using outlook without the firewall stopping it?

serpico
06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
It appears that the administrator has blocked any web based email domains, probably due to all the spam that comes from them. Unless you buy him a beer, I'm not sure if there's another solution that you would want to take. I don't think you want to get caught breaking the rules if this is a work policy.

theone3
06-26-2004, 12:18 AM
About bloody time Hotmail increased its account size. 2 mb means I have to clean out my mailbox every other day! At least with 250, I don't have to worry about mails not coming through.

I also hope they increase maximum attachment size. I really, really need bigger attachment. This is 2004 - not friggin' 1994.Yup. It's a 10MB attachment limit.

serpico
06-26-2004, 01:07 AM
I used to hate sending my family members 1mb or less attachments, b/c they always came back with errors. Their inbox was too full or over the limit with my email. Exactly, 2004 and not 1994. :lol: