View Full Version : Modem

karan_c1990
04-24-2004, 11:00 AM
hey guys

i bought a 56k CF Fax/Modem card for my ipaq h2210
err.. its of no brand- i mean- in the box- it just says "56kbps compactflash fax/modem card" , my problem is that- the drivers included in it- in a floppy- are- only for windows 2000, 98 and xp!

i dont know how to use it in the pocket pc :cry:

please help- where do i get the drivers- and how to use it ??

-karan

Aerestis
04-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Any chance there is a help file with that floppy too? Perhaps it means you cna install the drivers from 98,me,2000,or xp. I'm not sure. I'm not too technically inclined :) I'm sure some documentation can give you some hints though?

karan_c1990
04-24-2004, 11:15 AM
no help file- but theres one text file- it says-

V.90 56K Fax/Modem Compact Flash Card Readme File (2002/03/01, ver:2.20)

System Requirements

The minimum and recommended system requirements for
V.90 fax/modem Compact Flash Card is as follows:

„« 1. A notebook/computer equipped with PCMCIA Release
2.1 or later Type II slot
„« 2. 4MB or higher RAM
„« 3. Card and Socket Services Software (if not using Windows
95 or later)
„« 4. A standard RJ-11 phone line
„« 5. Access to internet via an ISP which offers V.90
transmissions
„« 6. Windows NT4.0, Windows 95 or Windows 98,
Windows 2000, Windows Mellenium, windows XP

Aerestis
04-24-2004, 11:30 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that this card isn't meant for your ppc. Maybe someone cna prove me wrong though... It just seems as though this card was intended for use on a windows based computer. :?:

Kowalski
04-24-2004, 02:41 PM
i agree with aerestis.
and here is what i am thinking:
the card is made to use with PCMCIA adapter to go for laptops!

jnajera
04-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Maybe it doesnt even need drivers. Plug it in and see what it does. I have had a couple of CF modems that did not need any drivers. The os has some drivers for dial up modems.

Jon Westfall
04-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Sounds like PCMCIA for me, unless it shipped with a CF card reader for pcmcia. Does it fit in the pocket pc?

ombu
04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Maybe it doesnt even need drivers. Plug it in and see what it does. I have had a couple of CF modems that did not need any drivers. The os has some drivers for dial up modems.
I agree, mine works just plugging in.

Regards.

karan_c1990
04-25-2004, 08:30 AM
no- its cf only- and it fits in the slot- when i put it in- the pocket pc says that its an unknown card.

but inside the box- there was a sheet- it says :

CompactFlash card driver installation
V.90 56 KBPS FAX/Modem CF card is a hardware modem and supports AT command standards. Its driver is automatically installed in both WinCE and PALM OS devices, once the card is inserted to the device.The following details should be used:-

1. Select a modem: - intel_corp 56k modem at MD 56xx
2. Baud rate : Default

what to do ?? :?

Aerestis
04-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Who makes the card? Find out who makes the card and use http://www.google.com to find their website (If it's not already on the box or something).

Which PPC do you have? Does it use windows ce or do you have something else installed?

If it says it automatically installs drivers, maybe you've got the driver in there but it needs to be configured. I'm not sure... But I'm sure if it says it's for windows ce devices, it will work with one. I would find the company website of the people who made your card, and see if there are new drivers for newer devices, or drivers for older devices, depending on which ppc you have.

Good luck :)

karan_c1990
04-26-2004, 03:17 PM
err... i told u- i have an ipaq h2210.
erm. its Intel_corp 56k V.90 CF FAX/MODEM

Stephen Beesley
04-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Hmmmm - along with some of the other responders my CF Modem "just works" when I plug it into my Jornada 568. It is a Pretec modem and uses the Pretec V90 drivers that were pre-installed in my Jornada. I also used another no-name CF modem in the past which used the same drivers. In neither case did I get an unrecognised card message.

Have you tried doing a soft reset of your Ipaq with the modem in the slot and seeing if you get a card not recognised message after that? Otherwise I would definately suggest taking Aerestis advice and doing a google search to contact the vendor. I could be wrong but I think the Intel_corp 56k V.90 CF FAX/MODEM bit referes to the chipset being used in the modem. You could also do a google newsgroups search - I have often found out useful tips and tricks that way.

karan_c1990
04-28-2004, 08:03 AM
but what do i search for?

Trimac20
04-29-2004, 04:16 AM
That's odd, how are the drivers automatically installed to the PPC when you insert the CF Modem? If that's the case, I'm assuming that the drivers are actually stored ON the CF modem (by the way does it have any storage capability or is it merely an adapter?). If it says it is 'compatible with Windows CE' devices there should be no problem at all. Under the 'Connections' tab, just select modem, and the modem model you bought and the default baud rate and it should work fine. Of course don't forget to set everything up with your ISP connection.etc.

karan_c1990
04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
it doesnt have any storage capability.
when i create a connection- the modem name doesnt come in the list, only the default ones are there- bluetooth dialup modem, bluetooth fax modem, generic IrDA, Hayes compatible on COM1:

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 04:29 AM
That's odd, how are the drivers automatically installed to the PPC when you insert the CF Modem?
You're referring to uMP2k? It's simple -- he didn't need to install any drivers -- the ones built into the Pocket PC OS were enough.

karan is in a different situation -- he's needing drivers, since the CF card doesn't comply with existing drivers already built into Pocket PC/WinCE.

--janak

karan_c1990
05-02-2004, 05:17 PM
yep exactly and i dont know where do i get the drivers :(

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 07:22 PM
yep exactly and i dont know where do i get the drivers :(
They may simply not exist. :|

--janak