View Full Version : Rumour: iPAQ 6300 Specs

Jason Dunn
04-12-2004, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page746.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page746.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Courtesy of new MTekk forum user ragnew, we now have what seems to be the most complete specifications yet for the oft-rumoured hp iPAQ 6000 series Pocket PC Phone. The source is a draft 3 page brochure, which seems to go into quite some detail. It looks like this will be quite a formidable device, although the fact that the brochure is a draft may indicate that further hardware changes are to occur. Nonetheless, it's exciting to see this level of detail! We've also received information that the device will be released through T-Mobile in May, with AT&amp;T getting the device in August. This contradicts information recently discussed, which indicated either an April or August release - but at least there's not too long to see which date will be correct. Our informant goes on to say that, with the Motorola MPx to be released in July, hp can't afford to wait. And so, without any further ado, here are the specs..."<br /><br />As far as I can tell, nothing here is a shock, but it's the most complete list of specs I've yet seen on the iPAQ 6300. Remember you can <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&inv_id=31001143129607&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">pre-order the device</a> [affiliate] if you want to ensure you get it shortly after release.

mscdex
04-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Doesn't the Texas Instruments OMAP™ 1510 clock in at 144mhz? 8O

rzanology
04-12-2004, 09:35 PM
as much as i love ipaqs....this still doesn't look like it can draw me away from the mpx

phillypocket
04-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Since this article brings is up. Has anyone seen anything relatively solid on the timing or actual availability of either the HP or the Motorola device from T-moble.

possmann
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Given T-Mobile "success" with selling the high priced XDA, I find it interesting that they are going to make the same commitment to this expensive device.

I frankly am very surprised that they haven't released a smartphone yet...

outdoor
04-12-2004, 10:45 PM
specs looks good...... but it looks like a brick to me.... 8O

whydidnt
04-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Nothing real surprising here - but I REALLY wish this had 128 MB RAM. Having said this, HP will probably get my money if they deliver before the MPx is avaialble. If not, they probably won't.

I know I shouldn't be impatient, but there will always be some next big thing coming around the corner anyway, and if you wait, you could wait forever. :?

freitasm
04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Nothing real surprising here - but I REALLY wish this had 128 MB RAM. Having said this, HP will probably get my money if they deliver before the

Yes, I agree. I have an i-mate Pocket PC Phone Edition and a h4150. The 128MB makes a huge difference!

daS
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Anyone notice how in the "photos" having the optional keyboard attached causes the antenna to get longer? :wink:

whydidnt
04-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Anyone notice how in the "photos" having the optional keyboard attached causes the antenna to get longer? :wink:

I did now :) Also it appears to have grown buttons on the side that aren't there without the keyboard. I hopeful that one of these is an actual picture, but the other is just an HP mockup...

surur
04-12-2004, 11:27 PM
The most "revolutionary" thing this device has is a 1800mAh standard battery. Otherwise its just an xda 2 with less memory and built-in wifi.

Now the MPx - revolutionary form factor, which will leverage the most exciting feature of the new wm 2003 se update, 1.3 MPixel vs 640k camera with flash, smaller and more phone like, and will not need a carry care for everyday use due to clamshell form factor.. It rocks!

Even if the 6000 series comes out 2-3 months before the mpx, one would have to be pretty impatient not to wait for it.

Still, very nice battery...

Surur

mmarlor
04-13-2004, 12:05 AM

:lol:

iPAQabilities have a new picture which looks pretty awesome. I like their line up of all past images, the device shrinks, then grows, then elongates :twisted: http://www.ipaqabilities.com/iaforums/viewtopic.php?t=45

I don't particularly think these specs are the final by any means (no Second Edition? I think not!). I'm pretty sure they'll change before release; I was just impressed at how relatively complete they were.

I still think I'll be looking at the MPx :-)

DaleReeck
04-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Doesn't the Texas Instruments OMAP™ 1510 clock in at 144mhz? 8O

Geez, I hope not :D But it is 144MHZ. Hopefully that's not the actual processor. 144MHZ on a PocketPC wouldn't make it of much use beyond a basic phone and running PIE. Unless that's the idea - enough PPC to be just a phone with a slow processor to extend the battery life.

Zack Mahdavi
04-13-2004, 02:40 AM
I don't know about this... it looks very fully featured, but the pictures make the thing look gigantic. I want a smartphone that's Treo 600 style... that's why I think I'll wait for the BenQ P50 to come out.

Ryan Joseph
04-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I think I'll wait for the BenQ P50 to come out.

Yeah, I can't decide between the devices either. The P50 has a higher resolution camera and flash, supposedly. But, then, I don't really want a built in keyboard, myself.

The only real advantage to the iPAQ I can see is the abundance of accessories. IPAQs are so popular that within months of its launch, there will be cases, keyboards, etc. available for the 6300. The P50, on the other hand, may never get any good accessories.

Hmmm....decisions, decisions. :roll:

ultraman
04-13-2004, 03:25 AM
The most "revolutionary" thing this device has is a 1800mAh standard battery. Otherwise its just an xda 2 with less memory and built-in wifi.

Now the MPx - revolutionary form factor, which will leverage the most exciting feature of the new wm 2003 se update, 1.3 MPixel vs 640k camera with flash, smaller and more phone like, and will not need a carry care for everyday use due to clamshell form factor.. It rocks!

Even if the 6000 series comes out 2-3 months before the mpx, one would have to be pretty impatient not to wait for it.

Still, very nice battery...

Surur

Yes, I am also thinking of MPx. Is there anyone know the release schedule of MPx?

gohtor
04-13-2004, 03:25 AM

I had same thoughts. Guess these are still only concept artwork and not official in any way =)

mmarlor
04-13-2004, 04:23 AM
I had same thoughts. Guess these are still only concept artwork and not official in any way =)

Give this one a try : http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page748.html

:mrgreen:

Gremmie
04-13-2004, 04:31 AM
i'm just glad that no one is pushing this device as a fake...I am not one to pursue such rumors since the iWalk was the only real fake PDA rumor (and it was a great hoax).

huangzhinong
04-13-2004, 05:10 AM
i'm just glad that no one is pushing this device as a fake....

That's because it's not as hot as before. 360k camera, 144Mhz CPU, 64Mb Ram and a plain form factor, well, nothing appealing any more.

bnycastro
04-13-2004, 07:14 AM
I just came from the hp service centre here in Makati, Philippines. I was complaining about the Bluetooth Compatibility issues with the newer Nokia Mobiles and also had to have my iPAQ 2210 replaced because of the rubber side grips. Anyway the rep mentioned the 6xxx series but was very very vague. He just said a new iPAQ would be out by June and that all the Bluetooth compatibility issues would be fixed in that device. Naturally I assumed it would be the 6xxx series as the rumors re: this device have been circulating for quite awhile (unless there is another iPAQ underway that has completely been under our radar)... I sort of agree with huangzhinong; the integrated 3 forms of wireless would be very nice however the other specs have been left like all the other PPCs/PPC-PEs (64 mb ram/rom, 3.8 tft etc etc) I mean it would be great if hp could innovate a little more (think: VGA, and maybe more than 64mb RAM). It seems like they just took a 55xx removed the 128mb ram and put a phone and a lousy cam (VGA is pretty lousy) on it instead. I mean the XDAII already has the same cam (VGA right?) and 128MB RAM; can't they just add a better cam (1.2 or 1.3 mp w/flash) WiFi and a VGA screen to the XDAII :P I know I know it might be asking for too much but what is wrong with having more hehe? IMHO the only good thing going for hp is that they've been in the PPC biz longer than Motorola (I think it is the first PPC Moto is making or am I wrong??) naturally people will 'trust' hp ppc's more... however Motorola with it's MPx presents consumers with a very innovative form factor which will surely draw in alot of people; mainly because it's something fresh and exciting (although the MPx might also come out with 64 RAM/ROM, who knows?). Then it will really be a battle between two almost equal PPC-PEs... hp's 6xxx with more experience and probably accessories too :) vs. Moto's MPx with a fresher design... as of now I am torn between the 6xxx and the MPx;leaning more toward the MPx though.

May the FORCE Be With You....

PR.
04-13-2004, 08:37 AM
If it doesn't have a VGA screen, I'm not interested :|

DO give me my 5450 + 128mb RAM + VGA screen + GSM. :D

Trimac20
04-13-2004, 09:07 AM
It's to do with the angle of the photo and, of course some stretching (it is a poor photo). Anyway, I'm personally not too impressed (or as I thought I'd be) by the device. Btw what speed with the processor be running at, and why did hp scrap the Intel Xscale processor in favour of a 'Texas Instruments OMAP 1510.' And the downgrade (from the 5000series) to 64MB? I also wasn't aware it was a Pocket PC phone. In all I bet it's nothing to get excited about, an 02II would probably be a better option. The design, it looks alright. I'll have to wait and see whether the 6300 was what I expected it to be.

bnycastro
04-13-2004, 09:42 AM
an 02II would probably be a better option. The design, it looks alright.

I agree the O2 XDAII is a sweet looking device however, I read somewhere that the O2 XDAII has a problem with it's BT though (not really a problem I think the implementation is different than most devices) and also the 32 process thing (I wonder if this is O2 or MS specific glitch)... I hope hp doesn't drop the ball again with the BT (like in the 22xx series) and that the 32 process thingie is resolved by the time it (6xxx series) comes out.

May the FORCE Be With You...

darrylb
04-13-2004, 12:15 PM
why did hp scrap the Intel Xscale processor in favour of a 'Texas Instruments OMAP 1510.'

The reason is probably related to the wireless chipset that is (I believe) also from TI. I suspect that the Intel processors probably dont work with the Wanda chipset very well...

DaleReeck
04-13-2004, 12:49 PM

I agree the O2 XDAII is a sweet looking device however, I read somewhere that the O2 XDAII has a problem with it's BT though (not really a problem I think the implementation is different than most devices) and also the 32 process thing (I wonder if this is O2 or MS specific glitch)... I hope hp doesn't drop the ball again with the BT (like in the 22xx series) and that the 32 process thingie is resolved by the time it (6xxx series) comes out.

There's nothing wrong with the XDA II's BT hardware implementation. The problem is that HTC (XDA II's maker as well as maker of some iPaqs) went cheap with the BT software. Instead of going with the feature rich Widcom BT software found on most iPaqs, they went with Microsoft's non-feature rich BT built in version.

Also, on PocketPCPasssion.com, didn't Dale mention that the MPX he was playing with also had the 144MHZ processor? If true, for those of you waiting for the MPX, it may not be the end-all, be-all device either.

adamz
04-13-2004, 01:11 PM

The 32 process thing is a problem with the core Windows Mobile operating system. The same thing will happen on my iPAQ H3970.. it's just that that device has alot less going on. I've heard from developers that the Microsoft Bluetooth implementation is much more flexible in it's foundation than the WIDCOMM... plus, the current WIDCOMM stack doesn't have headset support for Phone Edition.
Personally, I think I'll stick to the XDA II. The H6300 and MPx both seem like a downgrade especially in terms of processor and memory.

mmarlor
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
The latest O2 ROM (1.60) for the XDA II is pretty awesome in Bluetooth operation, at least comparatively. And there's always Pocket Bluetooth Tools, which was just updated to v1.1 and includes Headset/Handsfree enhancements (and it's free! :-) )

http://bluetooth.i-networx.de/index_e.html

Ryan Joseph
04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Is there any way HP and Motorola will use 144MHz processors? I don't think that's possible. Why would they put such a slow chip into brand new devices costing $600-$1000? It just doesn't make sense. I think these specs are rumors or the specs of test devices. It would shock me if the final versions shipped with these chips. 8O

darrylb
04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Is there any way HP and Motorola will use 144MHz processors? I don't think that's possible. Why would they put such a slow chip into brand new devices costing $600-$1000? It just doesn't make sense. I think these specs are rumors or the specs of test devices. It would shock me if the final versions shipped with these chips. 8O

It is worth considering that 144MHz may not reflect 1/3 the performance of the intel PXA255/6. The CPU, may run inherently faster. Has anyone found significantly worse performance from the Samsung processors that are in the h1930 and 1940?

See this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23494) for instance - as well as the performance center at geekzone (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2028). The geekzone link indicates that it's performance is similar to the performance of the XDAII.

It is therefore conceivable that there will be no significant performance impact. However, all remains to be seen. But I agree that I dont think that HP would want to negetively affect performance by adding a sub standard processor.....

The Yaz
04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
A friend of mine who has tested the WANDA chipset told me that the OMAP chip runs better than its clock speed because of two factors:

1) Most phone and wireless functions are managed through the other integrated processor chips.

2) Because the speed of the board and ram/rom are at the same clock speed or higher than the OMAP, there does not seem to be any data backlog during the processes.

The other side of the equation is that he saw battery life of almost 20% better when compared to intel chip-based mobile phones.

In the end, you will probably see performance similar to the 2**mhz samsung chips, but with better battery life.

Steve 8)

bnycastro
04-14-2004, 02:35 AM
The 32 process thing is a problem with the core Windows Mobile operating system. The same thing will happen on my iPAQ H3970.. it's just that that device has alot less going on.

I see... thanks for explaining so there is a possibility that one of the processes closed would be the GSM/GPRS part of the device or even the app you were using? This is making me think of just going with a 2 device solution instead of a converged device. It's bad enough that the alarms don't work on a PPC what more if you also use it as a mobile and you don't get your calls.