View Full Version : How Often Do You Use Multiple Categorization?

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
There was a lot of discussion in our last <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25165">Palm-Pocket PC discussion</a>, and the subject of multiple categorization came up. For those of you who don't know, one of the very useful features of Pocket PCs (and Outlook for that matter) is the ability to assign multiple categories to a PIM entry. In Outlook, if you then view your PIM data by Category view, it appears under each of the appropriate categories.<br /><br />Some of us think Palm's lack of multiple category support is egregious, but others think it's not a serious problem. It so turns out there are third-party tools for Palms that do support multiple categorization, but they add that functionality on top of the existing PIM schemas, as opposed to having it integrated like Pocket PCs do.<br /><br />Nevertheless, I was curious if you, the Pocket PC-toting public, find multiple categorization an important feature of Pocket PCs. Let us know!

JonnoB
03-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I have tasks and acitivities related to my church activities and others related to work or family. Many of those activities cross paths and I NEED multiple categories. It has been a VERY long time since I used a PalmOS device and I had forgotten about that limitation. I couldn't imagine that was still the case... especially since I also live inside of Outlook and it has multiple category capability that syncs very well with my Pocket PC.

guinness
03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Sometimes, but it's not an essential requirement for me.

ombu
All the time, but how I wish I could FILTER WITH "AND", not only "OR", that would use all the power of multiple categories.

Regards.

jkendrick
Multiple categories really comes into it's own when you couple the PPC with a PIM like Pocket Informant. PI makes it so easy to instantly filter your information by category that it's easy to become dependent on it.

I could not go back to single categories.

Jeff Rutledge
03-03-2004, 04:44 PM
I could not go back to single categories.
Same here. As I eluded to in the other thread, this limitation is one of the main reasons I won't even look at a Palm device. Very few of my tasks or contacts have only one category.

schergr
03-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I use multiple categories for a variety of functions. But mainly with my contacts and task categorization at work.

When I work on a project, I want to be able to quickly isolate all the contacts and tasks related to a specific project. I can do this with a single category, but if I also assign those same contacts to the Business category and to a custom "company name" category and I want to assign some of those same tasks to a goals/objectives category so I can track deliverables, there is no other effective way.

I use this approach with all Outlook 2003 and Pocket Outlook features (Calendar, Contacts and Tasks). Coupled with PI5 this is a powerhouse.

ucfgrad93
03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
So far, I have never needed to use multiple categories. And I've had a PDA since June 2000.

Jimmy Dodd
03-03-2004, 05:08 PM
I use the multiple categories to achieve a category hierarchy of sorts. For example, I have a general Development category. I also have individual project categories (for both work and personal projects). In a glance I can see all of my open Development issues, only the issues for a certain project, all personal projects, etc. I don't know how I'd get around the Palm limit.

WyattEarp
03-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Cross referencing is an absolute neccesity. When I had a Palm it was one thing I really needed. Everything in life is not so cut and dry. So when I got my first PPC with the ability to use multiple categories it was a life saver. It is much easier to organize and manage both my business and personal life.

cscullion
03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
As I posted in the other thread... sorry to dampen the discussion, but the Palm Cobalt Simulator clearly shows that the Palm PIM apps do support mutliple categories. Not that the value of that support isn't still a fun discussion, but it's not a Palm vs. Pocket PC issue any more.

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
As I posted in the other thread... sorry to dampen the discussion, but the Palm Cobalt Simulator clearly shows that the Palm PIM apps do support mutliple categories. Not that the value of that support isn't still a fun discussion, but it's not a Palm vs. Pocket PC issue any more.
Yep - thanks for the clarification. Does POS6 also eliminate the 15-category limit?

Mind you, I wasn't trying to make it a Palm-vs-Pocket PC issue in this thread... ;)

--janak

Sslixtis
03-03-2004, 05:39 PM
I always use categorization, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. While I use it and like it, I think I could live without it. Now Multitasking... :twisted:

Cheers! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/loki8.gif

jasonc
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Yep - thanks for the clarification. Does POS6 also eliminate the 15-category limit?

Yes, I believe Palm OS 6 does overcome the 15 category limitation.

drop
03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Definitely multiple categorization. Allows more sorting options.

Jerry Raia
03-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I use it constantly. Couldnt live without it.

The Yaz
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Multiple categories is what sold my wife on picking a PocektPC. She likes to not only sort her contacts by family/friends/work/etc, but she has gone so far as to have cross categories to note that the contact is on our xmas card list, whether they have young kids (to invite to our kid's b-day parties), and who is on a committee with her.

She is not a Microsoft evangelist, but she does get a kick out of showing other people all of the things she can do with her ipaq, and this is one of them.

Steve 8)

Jacob
03-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I could probably live without it... but I'd much rather not. I only use multiple categories in specific cases.

Doug Raeburn
03-03-2004, 06:29 PM
I use multiple categories at work all the time. And I'd like to echo the suggestion uptopic that one or the other or both of the top selling "Super PIMs" on the Pocket PC side add the ability to filter by categories using the
AND operator. When you have lots of data in your calendar or contact lists, OR is way too limited.

dean_shan
03-03-2004, 06:46 PM
The only people that aren't in multiple categories is my grandparents. I just stick them in the 'family' section.

Scott R
03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Aside from the examples given about using this feature for work projects, can some of you offer some examples of how you use multiple categories for people in your Contacts list?

Scott

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Aside from the examples given about using this feature for work projects, can some of you offer some examples of how you use multiple categories for people in your Contacts list?
The simplest use for multiple categorizations: some of my coworkers are also my friends. So they're under the personal and business categories. ;) It sounds insignificant, but it's not if I'm trying to email people as a batch, or to send them cards, etc.

--janak

shawnc
03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I didn't even know this existed. I simply don't have enough contacts for this to be an issue. I know Janak has indicated that he doesn't want to turn this into a PPC v Palm discussion, I do have a question since I think this Poll is the result of a Palm v PPC discussion.

How is it that needing a 3rd party application on the Palm to get multiple categories is any worse than needing a 3rd party application on the PPC to display your Tasks on the Today screen?

I like these entertaining Palm v PPC discussions but this particular issue seems to be much ado about not to much :wink: .

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Shawn,

We already discussed the difference in the Palm OS 6 thread, so I'll direct you there:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=221562#221562

--janak

Jimmy Dodd
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I didn't even know this existed. I simply don't have enough contacts for this to be an issue.

It's also relevant to Task and Calendar entries.

rokitrod
03-03-2004, 10:17 PM
The ability to use multiple categories is the reason I immediately switched to windows powered handhels from the original palm machines. I use the categories in literally all of the outlook modules. It helps me organize and sort views etc at home and at work plus other places.

ctmagnus
03-03-2004, 10:26 PM
I used to use multiple categories all over the place. Then I found that I was tending to micromanage everything (imo) so I started cutting back. I now have 1/3 the number of categories on my PPC and in Outlook that I used to. I try to stick to no more than two categories per item, unless absolutely necessary.

c38b2
03-03-2004, 10:38 PM

Yes, I believe Palm OS 6 does overcome the 15 category limitation.
I confirm. The simulator allowed me to do well over 15 catagories (I know it's at least 45 - that's when I gave up :wink: )

JonnoB
03-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I used to use multiple categories all over the place. Then I found that I was tending to micromanage everything (imo) so I started cutting back. I now have 1/3 the number of categories on my PPC and in Outlook that I used to. I try to stick to no more than two categories per item, unless absolutely necessary.

2 categories per item is still enough to make multiple categories important to you and a single category a major weekness. It was the multiple category capability in my Outlook that made the synchronization to my PDA need the same ability.

Jonathon Watkins
03-03-2004, 11:36 PM
I really should make more use of this feature. :?

I don't really generally make lists of people though - I generaly filter by name. I'll mark this one up as 'one to look into'.

Ed Hansberry
03-04-2004, 12:51 AM
I have vendors that are also customers. All employees are under "employees" as well as business. Some are under personal too. I know lots of MPVs - those in the Mobile group also get a Pocket PC designation. Church members are in "Church" but there are subgroups for that too, so some have 2 or 3 categories for a few of them.

I pulled those out just scrolling through Contacts, and only got to the C's, but you get the picture. I really use multiple categories even more for Tasks.

shawnc
03-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Shawn,

We already discussed the difference in the Palm OS 6 thread, so I'll direct you there:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=221562#221562

--janak

Thanx for the tactful and considerate response. I'll go check it out and pose the question.

SassKwatch
03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
All my 'Work' contacts obviously fall in that category. But I also have them all assigned to their respective depts. And sometimes there are folks from various depts who I will need to have contact with for specific projects, so they get assigned to those as well.