View Full Version : RIP - Jornada 567

Weyoun6
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
After a good long stretch of 2 years - (actually less since I had it exchanged about 3 times) my Jornada is dead. Refuses to power up. It had before some issues with the screen, and the screws were always coming out of the system, and basically the system was coming apart in my hands (Making me leave it in its case all the time for safety), but now it is dead - Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems?

Sorry that I haven't been here more often - as you can see in my sig I have had a few issues at my college recently.

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear it. My 548 is still holding up like a champ. And that is with the abuse my two daughters can dish out. IMHO, the Jornada's should never have been killed off.

Steve

JonnoB
01-29-2004, 11:06 PM
IMHO, the Jornada's should never have been killed off.

Until the 221x came out, I refused to let go of my 568. I still miss the scrolling, flip lid, etc... but time goes on and now my 568 is used by my daughter. I think HP made a mistake getting rid of the Singapore design team. Incorporating the best of the 5xx series into todays' iPaq devices would have put them even further ahead of the competition.

Paul Martin
01-29-2004, 11:37 PM
My Jornada 568 is still kicking...it was originally a 567, but after several swaperoos due to dust & one bad battery compartment, it's OK. There's probably some dust under there again, but with my screen cover I don't notice. :) I did have something weird happen with the side rubber piece around the rocker switch. It popped out, but I was able to pop it back in. Yes, every once in a while, my gadget habit leads me to look at the newer devices, but the pocketbook reigns me in.

Very sorry to hear about your Jornada. :cry:

Don Tolson
01-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I lost my 568 when it slipped out of my bike pack onto the garage floor. Started doing weird things with battery management, so I sold it for parts on eBay.

My 2215 is OK, but I still miss the keyboard lid, the record button, the jog dial on the side, and just an overall brilliant, beautiful design. I keep hoping someone else will use this as a kick-off point.

Stephen Beesley
01-30-2004, 10:13 AM
I am another one with a 568 that just keeps going - despite a screen change and innumerable drops onto the floor. I have even had it apart a couple of times and cleaned the dust out of the screen myself!

I have been tempted to jump ship a few times and the temptation gets harder to resist each time (until I look at my bank account that is :( ) I like the specifications of the new Toshiba e805 (although unlike many people I for one am not sold on the looks of the device) but I think I will wait until the next OS version comes out and see what is on offer.

Weyoun6
01-31-2004, 01:07 AM
My Jornada gave me more than a few problems early on, but after that it was my most reliable PDA I had had (previously had a Palm IIIx). Unfortunatly there isnt really a current model PDA that doesnt appeal to me, I want my next purchase to be a upgrade, not a downgrade from my Jornada.

Paul Martin
01-31-2004, 04:20 AM
************* Off topic Alert ************

Silly question, weyoun6, but reading your sig, can you not just use an inexpensive switcher to have more ports?

JWiecks
01-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, my 540 still works fine, cept for I dropped it a few times (few used losely)

Weyoun6
02-01-2004, 07:01 AM
My school's policy is one port per computer per student, more than one computer attached to the one port = shut down

Paul Martin
02-01-2004, 01:20 PM
My school's policy is one port per computer per student, more than one computer attached to the one port = shut down

Ah, that policy thing...the undoing of many an adventerous techie! :evil:

davenicholls
02-10-2004, 08:12 PM
My 568 is over 2 years old and until last week hadn't had any problems. Last week it did a spontaneous hard reset and subsequently wouldn't let me reinstall my wifi card drivers. I was impressed by HP's response (here in the UK) the support guy talked me through various things and then suggested that the unit would benefit from having the ROM re-flashed. HP are now sending out a shipping box for me to send it off to them, they'll re-flash it and return it, all at their cost. Considering how far out of warranty it is I'm very happy with that level of service. They also offered to specifically check the wifi card if I sent it in with the appropriate drivers.

I am sending it for re-flashing but I've also decided to buy a 2210. Re-flashing may get it working again but noone can explain the original reason for the reset and I'm not too happy using a business tool that I can't 100% rely on.

Dave

KenClunk
04-14-2004, 11:38 PM
I have a battery for the 548 as well as a cradle, if anyone is interested????
Also I am not sure but I may have the battery to the 525 around somewhere too (They used the same battery).
Email at: [email protected]
(I will probably not check this post)

Zex_Suik
09-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I have a 567 I've had since '01, it has been through the worst treatment anything I've had has ever been through (except my leather jacket and boonie hat) my wallets give out quicker. It's been great but I have one serious problem

I've carried it in my back pocket of my pants for months at a time (for school)

it's been in intense heat: Arizona desert and now the Iraqi Desert

it's been in intense cold: the super freezer at a foods warehouse for hours and hours out of a day (for music) it would get colder and colder until it stopped working then I'd warm it back up outside (in AZ) in the summer heat extreme to extreme

I've dropped it as many times as I've used it

I carry it in my camelback now on this deployment

I've lost a stylus ONCE (knock on wood)

NOT ONCE have I had to replace anything on it or send it back

the paint has worn off it though so it looks REALLY old. (thank God for screen protectors)
one of the little clips that holds the battery in broke on day one so sometimes the battery comes off way to easy but that's manageable

THE SERIOUS PROBLEM

Up until 2 months ago everything is great! But now it won't sync. My new PC (winxppro) won't recognize it. I've tried HP's help sheets to no avail and microsoft doesn't have anything to say. I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm deployed to Iraq right now so shipping it back isn't the best option. I'm think a ROM reflash or whatever you call it will be HP's answer but I'm 100% confident there is a file that needs to be replaced, I just need to figure out which one. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Martin
09-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Up until 2 months ago everything is great! But now it won't sync. My new PC (winxppro) won't recognize it. I've tried HP's help sheets to no avail and microsoft doesn't have anything to say. I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm deployed to Iraq right now so shipping it back isn't the best option. I'm think a ROM reflash or whatever you call it will be HP's answer but I'm 100% confident there is a file that needs to be replaced, I just need to figure out which one. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Did it sync with xp pro at first and then quit or has it just been since you upgraded? Have you downloaded the latest version of Activesync? In such a rough environment, are the contacts in the little slot clean or tarnished (and same question for the cradle/cable you use to connect)? Just a few initial thoughts.

Does it give any error message what so ever? By the way, if you can reinstall the programs and data, sometimes a hard reset is the best way to go. It really helps cleanup junk, poor uninstalls, etc. It can be your friend. :D