View Full Version : Manual Memory Management

echizen
01-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Hello,

Is there a way to change the memory management on an IPAQ H4150 running WM2003 from automatic to manual? As I want to allocate an uneven proportion of the free memory between Storage and Application on a permanent basis?

Regards
echizen

JGRicci
01-29-2004, 07:11 AM
you can only move it between the blue lines as far as i know.. I know sometimes when there are a lot of processes running, it will automatically readjust after you move it ( even just a little ). so i found if i do a fresh booth and adjust it first thing ( no running apps ) it stays where i want it to pretty well.. i have mind on 15.92 allocated storage and 40mb allocated ram. also a hp4150

echizen
01-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks JGRicci,

That's what I have been doing. but I was actually searching for a way which will allow me to "lock" or set the allocations permanently until I do a Hard Reset or change it manually...

Ohh well, the search continues :-))

Andy Whiteford
01-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Do a soft reset and then move the slider along to set the majority of RAM to memory instead of storage. If it stays there for a few seconds then you are good to go. You will always have that amount of space set to Memory until you install something new that will use up storage space. This scenario will reset it back to the default split and you will have to readjust the slider to your liking. Window's reserves a certain percentage of memory for storage and as long as you don't go below this limit (by installing into main memory) Windows will not try to readjust the memory allocation.
Bear in mind that even if you install to a storage card, some components (usually small) may need to be written to the Windows folder in main memory using up some storage space!

Kowalski
01-30-2004, 10:05 AM
i understood your question and i dont think there is a way to do this. whenever one portion decreases in free space windows will allocate the memory again but why would you want to do something like this?

echizen
02-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Hiyas,

The reason I want to do it is cause some programs I use may require say ~12mb of memory and since I have for example 14 mb of memory left. The pocketpc automatically splits it into 7mb for Storage and 7mb for Programs. So I would have to go in and temporarily adjust the memory to 12mb programs and 2 mb storage to just run the program. So, its all a matter of laziness, where I just want to be able to specify an exact allocation and not have to worry about adjusting it everytime I need the extra memory. Also, from what I have read in this forum, more program memory means more stability on my PPC.

Kowalski
02-04-2004, 04:51 PM
i advice you to use batmem time. it has a slider on the memory display, so you can adjust your memory configuration just from the today screen, plus batmem time rules!!!
more program memory means more stability on my PPC.
this is exectly true. if you are using wifi this becames too obvious.

woffles
02-04-2004, 06:06 PM
I was just curious, can you make a swap file on an SD or CF card and assign it to memory? I know I had this on my Zaurus and was a big help when dealing with large programs.