View Full Version : Which iPaq should I buy? Help.

ChemNerd
01-27-2004, 08:26 AM
I currently have no handheld device, at one point in time I was using a Palm Vx and then a Casiopea (qwerty keyboard), I don't have either now (it's a long story). Anyhow I recently got some money (related to the long story) so I've decided I want to get a PPC.

My issue is picking one. I basicly want a PIM back with internet abilities and a keyboard is something I want badly. I'd also like to be able to watch videos and listen to music to kill time between classes and such. Possibly play some games too. That means I can get:

2215 with wi-fi card and keyboard attachement
4150 with keyboard attachment

Obviously the 4350 seems like the ideal choice, and it is with one exception. There is no dedicated ctrl key that I can find or that I've heard of. I'm not sure how hard it is to bypass this but I want the ability to be able to cut, copy, and paste. I don't know from personal experience but it seems that would be important. There is also the Ctrl +Q feature that allows a true exit from some programs. I'm also not sure how often I'd be doing this.

The issue with the slide-on keyboards is that they cover up the directional pad.

I've heard that the intergrated wireless is not as strong as the external cards, but they also don't stick out. I also heard that the internal wireless has LEAP. My school's wireless network runs on LEAP and since cisco makes no CF cards that I'm aware of. I have heard from some people that this doesn't seem to work though and since my school seems incapable of actually answering a question, I don't know.

I guess my questions are:
1) Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one to get, or another alternative?
2) On the issue of LEAP, does it work?

Comments are welcome, thank you for the help!

jeasher
01-27-2004, 08:49 AM
All I can answer is to buy the 4355. It has spoiled me greatly. I don't know what you mean by using shortcuts because there are plenty of shortcuts built in. You still need a stylus, but all in all the keyboard integration is stellar. Buy it!

ChemNerd
01-27-2004, 10:07 AM
On the snap on keyboard for the 2215 and the 4150, it has a dedicated CTRL key. As in windows the CTRL + C, CTRL + X, CTRL + P, and CTRL + N all function on the PPC. There is also a command CTRL + Q which is implemented in most applications that allows them to actually close, not smart minimize like clicking the X does.

As far as I can tell the CTRL + Q is unknown by many people because of the fact that to enter the CTRL key, you might as well just open the task manager.

I know from one on one experience that there is no dedicated CTRL key on the 4350's keyboard (Why HP removed it, is still a mystery to me). As far as I can tell there is no combination of key strokes to allow for a CTRL key, or at least nothing that would be benificial. I could be wrong, or I could have been testing it on the wrong apps when I played with it or whatever, but I have heard this complaint from others that are aware of the snap on keyboard for the 2215 and 4150, so it's obviously not something so simple.

The issue of it not being there is greater because they did in fact have it on the snap on one. Again I'm confused as to why HP decided not to include it. They also removed the number stick feature so that you press a button and can just type numbers, you have to hold the FN button in. Not a big issue, just further fuels the momment where I look like the RCA dog with my head cocked trying to figure out who made this decission. Fire that industrial engineer HP.

I'm not sure how often I'd use the CTRL + key combo, but I'm not sure I like the idea of NOT being able to use it. Then again I was used to a Casiopea (clamshell with the QWERTY keyboard).

Please tell me if in fact you don't use copy, cut, paste, or new as much as I might think you do.

I don't mind the device being longer really. Although again I question why HP didn't make the keyboard like it was done on the Zaurus line by sharp.

The 4350 is a very tempting thing, if it wasn't for the keyboard lacking I would have already bought it.

Kowalski
01-27-2004, 04:12 PM
i find the idea of attached keyboard more usefull. 43xx is bigger than 4150 so you can plug the keyboard whenever you want and pull out whenever you dont.
but if anyone says it has a bigger battery i say that this is the only plus for 4350

Jeff Song
01-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I've had both the 2215 with attachable thumb board and currently the . All i can say is that the 4355 is superior b/c of the fact that all hard buttons and the dpad are available for use. I found that having a keyboard on at all times with access to the 4 buttons and dpad is a must. I would choose the 4355.