View Full Version : Can you sync contacts,email and webbrowsing using usb sync cable??

eldridges
01-11-2004, 05:11 AM
I've been reading and re-searching for over two weeks trying to find a way to sync my new IPAQ 1945 pocket PC with my contacts, email (outlook express) and web browsing via the usb sync cable with no luck. I just want to know if this is possible? I do not want to type over 100 contacts on the PDA if it's not neccessary.

I like the pocket pc better than the Palm, but the palm at least has all of your contacts, appointments, ETC that you can type on the PC for an easier way of input. If so, could I possibly sync my email without having to by any additonal hardware such as an ethernet or modem adapter for the pocket pc? I am hoping to just use the USB sync cable.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Peter Sedgwick
01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
I often sync using IR. A little slow, but it works well. No need to get an extra cable.

Mitchybums
01-11-2004, 10:02 PM
your pocket pc should have come with a cd with Outlook 2002 and active stink. It's a white cd that is in a transparant sleeve in your 1945 box. It has the HP logo on it, and on the back is the install key for outlook.
Outlook is basicaly comparable to the PalmDesktop software. It has all you need for PIM, Agenda, email, tasks, notes etc etc.
If you install that, it will import your stuff from outlook express.
then install active stink and it should by default install the connection from your pocket pc to your emails/contacts.

Once you establish the first connection, it will ask you to setup a profile, and you can check the ones you want to go to your pocket pc.
By default, Activestink will also enable internet through USB, and you can also map shared folders on the desktop computer you got the cable plugged in to.

Also Active stink will let you install programs downloaded from sites such as www.pocketgear.com and the like

This can also be found in the manual that should have came with your ppc

Hope this will get you going

eldridges
01-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Thank you very much. I did not install the Outlook Express due to already having it on my PC, all I did was install Active Sync. I will give that a shot.

Sven Johannsen
01-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Outlook is not Outlook Express, nor even an upgrade to it. It is a totally separate application that handles contacts, tasks, calendar, e-mail, notes, and journal. All but the last can be sync'd with the applications on your PPC directly. There are third party journal apps. E-mail at this point is restricted to PoP or SMTP mail, you cannot 'sync' hotmail or other HTTP mail to the Pocket PC, though you can access HTTP mail via the web browser.

You can import you Outlook Express contacts into Outlook. You can also continue to use Outlook Express as well as Outlook. I do that myself as Outlook lacks a Newsreader.

eldridges
01-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, I am able to read my email and sync my contacts with my USB cable now, which is great. I still cant surf the web through my USB cable. Is it possible to do so?