View Full Version : Is a Hard Reset Necessary Before a Restore?

Paula
01-11-2004, 03:42 AM
What happens when you do a restore? Does it wipe everything out or just write over same named files?

What I want to do is to restore to my very first backup and add patches/fixes etc which I did not do before I started to load essential software, then back that up and keep that as my very first backup. Then restore to my very last backup and add in the same patches/fixes then back up.

So do I need to hard reset before I restore backups?

Paula

Ripper014
01-11-2004, 06:11 AM
In your case a hard reset would not hurt... afterall you only want to restore your backup. My thought on this matter is that if you had other files on the pda it would not delete them. Only copy over anything existing that was a duplicate.

Let me know though I am interested...

ctmagnus
01-11-2004, 06:19 AM
That's my thinking as well. I always hard-reset before I do a restore, especially if the reason I'm restoring is a bad install or poorly-written software.

Paula
01-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks Guys. A hard reset it is then.

paula

rugerx
01-11-2004, 03:23 PM
yep HR before restore, I would.

Paula
01-12-2004, 10:37 AM
I have done a hard Reset and now the device is running rather weirdly. It is sort of jerky when changing pages and slower than before.

What could cause this?

BUT when I restore to my very first backup the machine runs just fine again. No jerky page changes and runs quick as a bunny.

Paula

ctmagnus
01-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Was it an ActiveSync backup or a Sprite Backup backup?

I've had similar issues (screen was way out of alignment) when restoring from an ActiveSync backup.

piperpilot
01-13-2004, 01:32 AM
I have done a restore without a hard reset. I use pocket backup as a save game feature. No problems as a result.

Paula
01-13-2004, 08:06 AM
CT Magnum I did an iPaq backup. The backeps are great it is the Hard reset that messes things up.

Not only does the machine run a bit jerky and slow it took away the repeat alarm sounds. When I set an alarm in Calendar the alarm rings once and that's it. BUT with the backups it restores the multiple ringing for a calendar alarm.

I can't figure out why a hard reset is doing all of this when it is supposed to clean the slate and be fresh.

Paula

Ripper014
01-13-2004, 08:45 AM
I don't understand why your pda would run slow and jerky after a hard reset... after all it should be in a factory fresh state. At this point it should be as quick and snappy as you would ever see it.

I do understand why your alarms are not working... that is because in the factory state they never worked correctly and the restore that you did probably included some of the solutions that have been passed through this and other forums...

Having your alarms mulitple times is in your /Start/Settings/Sounds & Notifications/Notifications tab... In the "Select an event" tab pick "Reminders" and choose your sound and check off repeat...

Remember that when you do a restore, you will be restoring the bad with the good...

Paula
01-15-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't understand why your pda would run slow and jerky after a hard reset... after all it should be in a factory fresh state. At this point it should be as quick and snappy as you would ever see it.

I do understand why your alarms are not working... that is because in the factory state they never worked correctly and the restore that you did probably included some of the solutions that have been passed through this and other forums...

Having your alarms mulitple times is in your /Start/Settings/Sounds & Notifications/Notifications tab... In the "Select an event" tab pick "Reminders" and choose your sound and check off repeat...

Remember that when you do a restore, you will be restoring the bad with the good...

I don't understand why my PPC is running slow and jerky after a hard reset either . I do a hard reset and start to select screens and do all of my settings again and everything is just very weird. Even the alarm stutters. :?

I have not installed any of the "fixes" or necessary utilities that I have down loaded...yet. What I failed to do in my zeal as a new PPC owner was that I started to download and install readers and games before I did a clean initial backup of just setting. I know better than that...really.
Because of this mistake I will now go back and restore to my very first backup and uninstall all games and readers, temp files, etc. I will take it back to just settings. I will do a clean (well the cleanest I can get) backup and then begin to install all the necessary fixes and utilities I should have installed first, doing backups along the way.

You were right I did have the repeat setting selected for the reminder alarm. I must have overlooked these settings the second time around. Thank you.

Paula

ctmagnus
01-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I thought that the PPC was running jerky immediately after the hard-reset, rather than after the restoration of your original backup. That had me worried. ;)

What I would recommend is another hard-reset (do not restore any backups at this point, unless you have no pim data synchronized elsewhere; in that case, just restore that info) then install all patches, essential software, etc, set up all your alarm settings and preferences and then back that up as a "virgin" image. Then install all your other software and go from there. Last time I did this, it took me around six hours total, which surprised me as I thought it would take much longer. Once you get this done, maintaining your PPC will be easy as pie, especially if you back it all up on a regular basis.

Edit: rereading your last post sounds like the jerkiess may result from being hard-reset, in wich case it sounds like a warranty issue.