View Full Version : HELP I need a pocket PC

jook00
01-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Im afraid im new to pocket pcs. I want one.
- Now what is active sync?
- How do i transfer music videos from my computer to my pocket pc?
- Is there a fee monthly to use -i.e. starbucks, barnes & noble- wifi?
- How much is the HP ipaq 4150-4155 go for these days?

Thinkingmandavid
01-09-2004, 06:45 AM
jook00 wrote
Now what is active sync
It is used to transfer what is on your ppc to your computer and vice versa. This helps to have all of your information ready while you are on the go in your ppc, and then 'syncing' it on your computer at the end of your day. It is also good because if your ppc lost some info, then you could still sync it with your computer and it would copy it back to your ppc :)

Is there a fee monthly to use -i.e. starbucks, barnes & noble- wifi
Yes, If you use the wi fi at Starbuck's then you will have to pay T-Mobile because they are the one's who supply it. They have a few options that you can check into to see what works best for you if you visit the T-mobile.com website. They have a free 24 hour period. I have used the wi fi at Starbuck's and felt that it worked well. :)

How much is the HP ipaq 4150-4155 go for these days?
That depends on where you go to shop for it. Best Buy has it right now for 388.00. I do not know how long it will be at that price, but it is a good one. When it first became available at Best Buy it was 450.00.

jook00
01-09-2004, 09:29 PM
- what IS active sync. is it wireless, usb cable, some other cable. how do the files get transfered to my ppc?

- if I have wireless internet at home, can i connect to it using my ppc without monthly pay to t-mobile?

Steven Cedrone
01-09-2004, 09:36 PM
- what IS active sync. is it wireless, usb cable, some other cable. how do the files get transfered to my ppc?

Activesync allows you to sync your PDA to your desktop. Out of the box, you sync via a cable (usually USB)...

- if I have wireless internet at home, can i connect to it using my ppc without monthly pay to t-mobile?

Once you set up a partnership with your Desktop, you can sync using your WIFI at home (and no, you don't have to use T-Mobile). When you say you have wireless internet at home, I assume you mean you have a Wireless Access Point, correct?

Steve

Ripper014
01-09-2004, 11:39 PM
More specifically Active-sync is a software program that allows your pda to transfer information between your pda and your PC (desktop/laptop). This is normally done through a cable/cradle supplied by the manufacturer of the Pda. This can either be through a serial or a usb cable, the currrent standard is usb. You can also access active-sync through wireless... (wifi or bluetooth).

I hope that was as clear as mud...

Barak
01-12-2004, 02:36 PM
jook00:

You may want to read reviews on the different ppc's here:

www.brighthand.com

Excellent, unbiased reviews that I have always used before purchasing a new pocket pc.