View Full Version : 2210 Reminders / Performance problem

Red_Ped
01-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I would be grateful for any advice you could offer on this problem I have with my 2210.

1. After a soft reset, it takes about 5 minutes to very slowly scroll through old reminders before the 'My Info' screen appears. It is not possible to press the 'Dismiss' or 'Dismiss All' to clear the reminders.

2. Eventually, the Today screen appears and I have the following symptoms:
a/. Unable to sync with PC;
b/. 2210 freezes when placed in cradle;
c/. Very slow performance, ie., slow to drop down start menu or to open any program;
d/. New reminders do not activate; and
e/. A line of alarm bell icons sit at the bottom of the Today screen that cannot be removed

3. I have tried the following:
a/. Hard reset - cures all symptoms!!! but after restore and soft reset all problems return .
b/. Removed all removable software including Pocket Informant - no joy.
c/. deleted old reminder from calendar - no joy.

Without being able to either sync to the PC or set new reminders, and the pathetically slow performance makes my Ipaq virtually useless. Any advice gratefully received.

Janak Parekh
01-02-2004, 08:44 PM
In short? Don't restore. There's something in your restore image that is causing the problem. Instead, do a resync and reinstall your applications. Or are you implying you have data on the Pocket PC that you can't sync before a hard-reset? If so, use the Backup tool to backup just the PDA data, hard reset, and restore just the PDA data (the iPAQ 2215's Backup applet supports this, right?), sync it, and then proceed with your reinstall...

Incidentally, there's also the possibility that a reinstall will trigger the problem, in which case there's probably a specific application causing issues. I know this debugging is a bit time-consuming, but it's definitely worthwhile.

--janak

Ripper014
01-03-2004, 01:45 AM
I concur... if you can do without any additional information than what is in your outlook... I would do a hard reset and start new.

As with trouble shooting a desktop unit... the time you waste by trying to source a problem is seldom worth it, and you can not be sure that you have solved all the problems. It is always best to start with a clean slate when the opportunity presents itself.

Restoring a back-up may not help you since the problem was probably saved along with all your other files...

Kowalski
01-03-2004, 12:01 PM
agree with janak. try to configure the system from strach.
hard reset will solve most of the problems, but if you have a software problem system restore will restore your problems too

Red_Ped
01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I take your point about wasting time trying to source the problem - it has taken hours of effort over a few weeks to get me no where! I have just done a hard reset and will sync to the PC to retrieve my outlook data.

Cheers, Ped.

butch
01-06-2004, 03:01 AM
I had constant freeze problem with my 2210 too, had to "reboot" 3-4 times a day!
On friday, I just closed WizBar, I didn't had to reset it since :)