View Full Version : It must be Spring!

dh
12-14-2003, 01:32 AM
I'm ready for summer :)

I spent the last couple of days in Boston and New York and I'm now home in the Philly area. What's the biggest topic of conversation everywhere? Baseball.

This off-season is proving to be as much fun as the real season was. The spending battle between Henry (who I can't stand) and George (who has a certain charm despite being a real DH - and no I don't mean a player who is too fat to run anymore) is just so entertaining. I know George doesn't really care for Pettite but letting him get away is unbelievable.

Even our Phillies are getting in on the act. Will we be able to get rid of J-Ro and Abrau for Nomar and Nixon? Assuming Boston finally find a sucker to take Manny and they get A-Rod of course. And what about Baltimore going around making huge offers to everyone? Heck, I'm expecting a call from them at any moment. I only want $5 million a year for four years, a bargain. :lol: Then again, maybe I should go to the Mets. I could make the same contribution as Fat Mo for much less money.

I'm looking forward to Andy and Roger in the Astros' rotation.

I hope the real season isn't an anti-climax after all this fun.

Janak Parekh
12-14-2003, 02:25 AM
I spent the last couple of days in Boston and New York and I'm now home in the Philly area. What's the biggest topic of conversation everywhere? Baseball.
That's because the Atlantic division of the NBA is... lacking, and the Jets and Giants are out of the playoffs, and the Rangers & Islanders are mucking about in the middle of their division. :lol:

This off-season is proving to be as much fun as the real season was. The spending battle between Henry (who I can't stand) and George (who has a certain charm despite being a real DH - and no I don't mean a player who is too fat to run anymore) is just so entertaining. I know George doesn't really care for Pettite but letting him get away is unbelievable.
George has gone even more wacko than usual. :evil: The NYT has a good article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/13/sports/baseball/13BASE.html?ex=1071896400&en=49964e16dd0c9ed4&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE - should be reg-free (via Google).

Even our Phillies are getting in on the act. Will we be able to get rid of J-Ro and Abrau for Nomar and Nixon?
Abreu is a good player, though. I don't think he should go -- just get a better attitude. ;)

Then again, maybe I should go to the Mets. I could make the same contribution as Fat Mo for much less money.
You've read the reports on this, right? Mo wants to come back. I hope he doesn't -- would much rather see Piazza and Phillips platoon 1B/C. Speaking of which, I think Duquette has done a credible job. Signing Matsui was brilliant from a PR move, and I hope it pays off for them as well.

I hope the real season isn't an anti-climax after all this fun.
There are so many interesting teams this year, especially in the east/central. On the West, though, it's all about Seattle, and that's it. I'd hate to be a Giants fan right now...

--janak

dh
12-14-2003, 02:32 AM
George has gone even more wacko than usual. :evil: The NYT has a good article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/13/sports/baseball/13BASE.html?ex=1071896400&en=49964e16dd0c9ed4&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE - should be reg-free (via Google).
--janak
That's a good article. I was listening to John Sterling on the radio today. He was interviewing Cashman. Sterling asked him where he was was, and was surprised when Cashman replied "at home". He said that George told him he wasn't allowed to go to the meeting. Strange. :!:

I think it's a shame that the Phillies gave Bowa a contract extension when there's a rather good manger with a great record going to be available pretty soon.

Janak Parekh
12-14-2003, 02:33 AM
That's a good article. I was listening to John Sterling on the radio today. He was interviewing Cashman. Sterling asked him where he was was, and was surprised when Cashman replied "at home". He said that George told him he wasn't allowed to go to the meeting. Strange. :!:
Apparently, according to the article Cashman has to fight Steinbrenner, who forbids his execs from going out of paranoia. It's a shame, but I think Cashman will either leave when his contract is up, won't get an extension, or will be fired. And that's a shame, as he's a very good GM.

--janak

Don Sorcinelli
12-14-2003, 02:56 AM
This week here in Boston, the news consisted almost entirely of:

- A-Rod/Manny/Nomar Triangle
- Weather
- Flu fears

Just about in that order :lol:

Actually, the latest word is that the A-Rod deal is pretty much dead in the water. There is even talk that Nomar contract talks are in the works. Of course, when it comes to baseball and the Winter Meetings it's "never say never".

Amazingly, the Pats have won 9 in a row to be 11-2 and they're getting almost no press. I do think it's because this town hasn't had Red Sox ownership and management that seems so dedicated to finally winning a World Series since - well, never. I've been living here for 6 1/2 years, and I cannot remember this much excitement about the Sox in December. Usually, the only mention they get this time of year is in muttered tones about how they collapsed a few months earlier :roll:

DonS