View Full Version : Free Internet Plan From T-Mobile?

Ed Hansberry
12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237460">http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237460</a><br /><br />According to a forum at HowardForums, T-Mobile has a new internet data plan that is free and allows unlimited usage, but it isn't totally open like the for-pay plans. <br /><br />• Every single one of their voice plans has unlimited WAP browsing, but it also allows regular HTTP browsing.<br />• It only allows access to ports 80 (web surfing), 25 (smtp mail sending) and 110 (pop mail port) to be accessed though. So no SSL, FTP, instant messaging, etc.<br /><br />If you need to connect to SSL sites, want to use instant messenger, use VPN to connect to your office, use Terminal Server or Citrix over the internet, FTP or other internet apps, you'll need to pay for the $30/mo. unlimited plan they introduced this past summer. It is only $20 if you have a voice plan. For basic internet access though, you can't beat free! :mrgreen:

sub_tex
12-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Wow. It's stuff like this that make me more and more confident that T-Mobile will be my next cell provider once my Sprint contract is up.

:way to go:

cklaszlo
12-04-2003, 03:44 PM
AIM Tip.

Not sure if this will work. But couldn't you loginto Aim Express:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/express/aim_expr.adp?aolp=

I just got a TMobile T610. Arrives 2moro. Can't wait to try this out!!!

popabawa
12-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Can I add a filter that will get rid of articles like this that make me want to cry (with envy).

It sucks living in the UK sometimes...

msdawe
12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
My experience with T-Mobile is that the people at the T-Mobile stores don't know what T-Mobile has to offer. From the store, I asked for unlimited internet on my voice account and they wanted to charge me $19.95/month. I called customer service (611) and they told me it was $9.95. But that was also made my one year contract start over.

Although, I think I'm finding that AIM and ICQ don't work anymore. So maybe this is why.

danmanmayer
12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Has anyone confirmed or tested this because i don't need ssl or anything just e-mail and regular net and I am paying 20 a month for internet right now from T-mobile..... So anyone got a clue?

fyiguy
12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
I tried it out yesterday and setup my wifes T610 to work via bluetooth with her PocketPC. It worked and it looks like I too will now be cancelling my $19.99/month plan, which I started a few weeks ago.

You can download pop mail and webpages just fine except for secure sites (https) or ones that require a MS Passport. Some people have got around using IMs by configuring their IM client to use port 80 and it worked for them.

To set it up on your PPC it is a bit different than setting up the standard GPRS connection where no extra dial string commands are needed to define the APN.

I just went to connection settings and setup the BT modem with a baud rate of 115.2k. Phone number is just the standard *99# and make sure the wait for dial tone before dialing is unchecked. You will also need to setup the dialing locations, dialing patterns to G for local,long distance, and international calls.

Then just go to IE and it should automatically connect to your phone via BT if you paired your phone correctly. It also works with popmail as well.

My wife was so pleased that she can now read her email on the go as well as check a few websites she manges while on the go.l

I am really impressed that Tmobile has offered this service for all customers, that have a $19.99 plan or more!

It may now be worth it to spring $8.95 a month for GoToMyPC since its Java client works over port 80 and I should get the same functionality of my desktop on my PPC if I need it.

:mrgreen:

Yorch
12-04-2003, 05:17 PM
I tried in my T-mobile Pocket PC, and it doesn't seems to work, or am I doing something wrong?

I just changed the Internet settings, from internet2.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com, anybody has a clue?

hotweiss
12-04-2003, 05:24 PM
You can still maybe use the mobile java version of ICQ (http://go.icq.com), which uses your web browser to connect to the ICQ server. Can anyone confirm this?

fyiguy
12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
You can still maybe use the mobile java version of ICQ (http://go.icq.com), which uses your web browser to connect to the ICQ server. Can anyone confirm this?

I get a page not found...

fyiguy
12-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I tried in my T-mobile Pocket PC, and it doesn't seems to work, or am I doing something wrong?

I just changed the Internet settings, from internet2.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com, anybody has a clue?

I had tried that as well the first time and failed, but just left the dial string command field blank where it was defined before as +CGDCONT=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com " and it worked I don't know why, but it just does...

OneAngryDwarf
12-04-2003, 06:30 PM
So I'm not an expert on VPN's or anything but couldn't u use the free access and set up a VPN on port 80 or something between your handheld and your main computer connected to a cable modem or something and somehow proxy your way out... or just set up some sort of proxy thing on your main computer to begin w/... anybody got any ideas on a setup like that which would allow u to gain access to things like AIM and MSN Messenger through one of the allowed ports?

Yorch
12-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I had tried that as well the first time and failed, but just left the dial string command field blank where it was defined before as +CGDCONT=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com " and it worked I don't know why, but it just does...

Aren't we supposed to change the settings from internet2.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com??

Can you please elaborate on how did you get it working??

OneAngryDwarf
12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
I just checked out T-Mobile's site and when i was going through the process of adding stuff and all the option of having internet cost 4.99... said NO internet was free... whas the dealio

arebelspy
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
ALL plans come with included "WAP Access" that also lets you access other HTTP sites. It's not listed as an add-on, cause all plans have ti (why would they list a $0 add-on every plan has anyways)?

Read the link with the article. ;)

I cancelled my $20/month plan after I throughly read about this, internet2.voicestream.com stopped working, I switched to wap.voicestream.com, works perfectly. :D

I have a converged XDA II, so I don't know about the *99# bluetooth stuff.

As far as the people who suggested AIM and ICQ through java - how do you get java on the PPC? pay extra for netfront's jv-lite version?

But the AIM client (that can be had free at AOL's UK site, last I checked) can be set to port 80 so it will work. Donno about ICQ, and bank sites (and other ssl sites - tried changing some dns stuff last night, encrypted version didn't work, regular did).

I think for VPN access you need the $20/month plan.

-arebelspy

starbot
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
i want to use my 2215 to connect to t610 and use it to surf the web with the 20$ 60minute voice plan, does internet usage use phone minutes? also will ThunderHawk work?- if so can i access HTTPS sites using thunderhawk

arebelspy
12-04-2003, 07:12 PM
i want to use my 2215 to connect to t610 and use it to surf the web with the 20$ 60minute voice plan, does internet usage use phone minutes? also will ThunderHawk work?- if so can i access HTTPS sites using thunderhawk

no, it uses no voice minutes because it's not connected like a voice call, it's data, and tmobile has stopped counting MBs, it's now free.

thunderhawk might work as a usual browser, but i dont believe it will allow https (ssl) access.. it will still need the other ports, which tmobile doesnt give you access to with the free plan, you need the $20/month plan for that.

-arebelspy

mel
12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
hey, I just wanted to add that IMAP4 works too (besides POP3, SMTP and HTTP) :)

arebelspy
12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Yeah I was so excited when I submitted this as news, I forgot to mention it. :oops:

Accessable ports (that I know of) are: 25, 80, 110, 143.

:D

-arebelspy

divajess
12-04-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm still in the process of porting my number from Sprint to T-Mobile (started on Saturday... :evil: should be up sometime today/tomorrow) so I had a friend call about this "free WAP access" deal. He was told that it was only for new accounts, so they made his account a new account and added it. Conflicts against the free for all existing customers part, but at least they'll add it with no problem. Said friend is thrilled with me for letting him in on the news!!

I'm hoping since my account is new, it'll be on there already. I think I'll call to check status on the number port and check on that while I'm on the phone with Customer Care. I don't have a phone that can connect to my Pocket PC, but I do like to be able to check my email on the fly. But I may look into a data cable for my laptop... :D

ventivent
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
If you are using AIM for PocketPC:

When you sign on, hit the setup button, and change the port from "5190" to "80". It should work fine.

V

divajess
12-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Update: It's not for new users, the first CSR was confused. :) They just have to add it on your account when you ask for it.

buutruong
12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
So what's the speed when using the free access? I am getting about 43Kps witht the $19.99 plan.

arebelspy
12-04-2003, 10:24 PM
read the link in the article, first post. the speed is the same.

:)

-arebelspy[/code]

ale2999
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM
guys I am so angry. no wait more like furios! I am so moving to the states when I graduate. canada gets everything l8 and at a much higher cost. why Lord? isnt this america junior? does any1 of u canadians if rogers att or any carrier has anything similar to this? heck I'd even pay 20 bucks a month for unlimited net on my cell/pda and not 20 bucks for 1.5 meg! heck their "best" wireless plan is 100 dollars for 100 megs a month. this is ghey!

bikeman
12-05-2003, 01:22 AM
January 6th. Only one month to go and then I am free of Sprint's evil dominion. :twisted: TMobile here I come. Please keep the three day weekend plan along with the free Internet and I will be in heaven. :D

starbot
12-05-2003, 02:10 AM
wait the free internet wont be applied when i sign up -its only for exsisting users?

also i think i posted these questions, but i just cant remember where i posted them :mrgreen:
if i get a 60minute voice plan, is that only 60mins of internet, or unlimited internet? can i use thunderhawk on the free plan?

arebelspy
12-05-2003, 02:37 AM
wait the free internet wont be applied when i sign up -its only for exsisting users?

it's for new or existing. ALL tmobile accounts automatically have free wap access now.

also i think i posted these questions, but i just cant remember where i posted them :mrgreen:
if i get a 60minute voice plan, is that only 60mins of internet, or unlimited internet? can i use thunderhawk on the free plan?

8O i thought my memory was bad. click page 2 of this thread (this post is on page 3).. i answered these questions there.

-arebelspy

frankjg
12-05-2003, 03:07 AM
When I found out about this free internet I took the simm out of my Samsung 225 which has a $39.95 std plan. I inserted it into my Laptop with its Aircard 750 and full internet. No restrictions.

This cannot last long.

:lol:

davea
12-05-2003, 04:14 AM
The "free" wap/internett access with T-Mobile works fine with my Nokia 3650 communiciating via IR to my Dell Axim X5. Setup was SOOO easy, just have it dial the standard *99#. (I want to invest in a Bluetooth CF card for the AXIM to make these communications easier). Any CHEAP
CF recommendations that will work with the DELL ???

T-Mobile service has been excellent. This GPRS data connection is FREE
and does not count against your voice minutes. My Nokia 3650 uses the
standard "T-Zones GPRS" access point to permit the PDA to connect
to the internet.

For those of you that want to delve into this who area further, I recommend you read all applicable threads in the "T-Mobile.HowardForums.com" discussion group. ALL of your T-Mobile/T-Zones/free data questions are dealt with there every day.

For my Nokia 3650, I also monitor their "Series60.HowardForums.com"
for Series 60 Smart Phone 0devices include the Nokia 3650, Nokia 6600 Siemens SX1, Samsung D700, Nokia 7650, Nokia N-Gage, etc.

Enjoy your Free Data on T-Mobile!!! It's almost as much fun as the
DELL PDA...

johnegq
12-05-2003, 05:02 AM
Can someone help. I called to have free WAP enabled.
I changed APN to wap.voicestream.com

I know I have to wait for it to be activated.

but are my settings correct....anything I'm missing?

aristoBrat
12-05-2003, 03:54 PM
If you call customer service to add this feature (I didn't see a way to add it thru the web page), you might have better luck asking for the "free t-zones, ... the one that just lets you download the ringers 'n stuff". As far as they know, that's all you're SUPPOSED to be able to do with the free service. :)

Anyhow, this is what it looks like on your My T-Mobile 'My Plan and Services' page after it's been setup:

My current optional services
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Included WAP Access Free

jeffmd
12-05-2003, 07:26 PM
well since I am not toaly reliant on my web access here, I decided to play ball, after all the worst that would happen is I cancel my net access, find out 24 hours later it didnt work, and re-subscribe to net access and wait about a total of 72 hours later. ^^

I first unsubscribed from my full net access online, of which the following morning my net status bar was totally missing. following 2,2 on the 611 phone number, I asked the lady about any free plan for limited web access, and like above, she described it as nothing more then a wallpaper and ringer tone download service. Now im just waiting for that to be enabled (about 12 hours) and will do my test then. Just wanted to let peeps know with exhisting net access services, you will need to call if you want to "go to" the free wap service.

arebelspy
12-05-2003, 10:38 PM
try internet3.voicestream.com

-arebelspy

bigneeker
12-06-2003, 10:38 AM
i am confused at all of this.
i just joined t mobile and last week and my internet doesnt work.
i am also having issues with my h4150 connecting to my panasonic x70.
can anyone guide me on how to connect my bluetooth phone to my ppc.

also what is *99#, what nunber comes after that. i am sorry for all the questions but i am a newbie to all this bt and gprs stuff.

thanks

cklaszlo
12-06-2003, 08:34 PM
I have a SE T610 how do I change the default web setting to say: wap.yahoo.com ? Can find it anywhere.

jeffmd
12-06-2003, 11:25 PM
gsm finally came back on this morning. since my home page was allways wap.tmobile, I didnt need to change it. I was able to use my google wml bookmark right off the bat now. I then connected with my pda, and while I had to adjust the phone number to use profile 1 (tzones) instead of 2 (tinternet) it worked the same as before.

the number at the end of the dial string denotes the connection profile. 1 should be tzones, 2 should be for tmobile internet.

cklaszlo
12-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Newbie WAP Qustion

I just got a T610 (Love it) and I read this discussion on the work around of the T-Zone where you can set your own start pages I guess in the profile menu in the connections section. I'm at a total loss as to what to do. How to set it up? Can someone do a step by step. Would be very helpful to me and I'm sure to other users as well.

Thanks.

Alex

NeutrinoQ
12-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Does anyone know how I could set up my Dell axim to connect to T-mobile's internet service over infrared?(with a Sony Ericcson t68m phone) I tried setting it up as a irDa modem and then setting up the dial up number as #99*, but it keeps giving me an error/doesn't work. If anyone has used this set up or if someone knows how I could set it up, I'd really appreciate their help. Thanx

:wink:

danmanmayer
03-12-2004, 09:50 AM
hey there tmobil users are any of you still using this? Does this work i can't seem to set it up and make it owrk it says there is no responce at the number i am calling. HELP