View Full Version : CF vs. SD storage

Rickyohead
10-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Do you prefer CF cards over other storage media? I sure do and I would like to see more PPC devices use CF slots. I already own CF cards for my digital camera and I'd like to be able to transfer pics from one to the other.

Can anyone recommend a good PPC with CF slot(s)? The Asus Mypal 620 is looking good...

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 02:28 AM
ipaq 2215 is and obvious choice...

Rickyohead
10-29-2003, 02:33 AM
thanks, i'll check out the 2215. i've been trying to keep up with pocket PC news/reviews for a long time now, before I buy one.

These things are improving so quickly and getting outdated faster than PCs.

JonnoB
10-29-2003, 02:35 AM
Dual-slot/general purpose PDA: HP221x
Screaming fast, gaming PDA: ASUS MyPal620

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:12 AM
MOO HA HA :!: :!: :!:
Fujitsu SEimens LooX :twisted:
It has two slots as well

hoxbox
10-29-2003, 05:33 AM
Toshiba e800 with VGA is the only way to go.... now to wait for one with keyboard + GSM....

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:43 AM
Ilove Fujitsu they are the bomb :!: :evil:
Toshiba is in for now, but maybe tomorrow they wont be. I have the patience to see how things are going to turn out in the coming months to a year. :wink:
I have a toshiba, not the newer model and I am goign to be getting a keyboard as well. actually i also want bt card...

Rickyohead
10-29-2003, 06:03 PM
back to my original question...

do you prefer CF media or SD or other and why?

I'm attracted to the CFs cuz the price keeps dropping and the storage size keeps climbing 2,4,6,10+ GB!

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 06:23 PM
back to my original question...

do you prefer CF media or SD or other and why?

I'm attracted to the CFs cuz the price keeps dropping and the storage size keeps climbing 2,4,6,10+ GB!

I like SD because of the universality and the fact that the CF cards are become obsolete, just my thoughts. Although my 2215 supports CF, maybe Ill have a lot of memory because CF will be getting cheaper, but then again, 1gb SD cards next year, choices choices :eek:

-Justin.

benca1
10-29-2003, 08:31 PM
CF cards are becoming obsolete for pdas or in general?

I find CF cards vastly more useful, afforable, and robust then SD cards. In the world of digital photography CF is king, and if I did have a CF slot, I would love to pull the CF out of my Canon and see my shots on a 3.8 inch screen instead of the 1.8 on the back of the camera.

1 GB CF cards at amazon are 270 bucks, there's 2 GB cards too, and 4 GB will coming out. No such sizes with SD. Additionally, at amazon, a 512 MB SD card goes for 300 bucks: one half the storage at 10 percent more cost.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like CF cards are much faster. I know CF has it's own controller, I don't know about SD.

In the world of PDAs, I can't help but to notice the multitude of CF accessories, from modems, to cameras, to WiFi, BT, FM transmitters, PC card adapters, GPS, etc, etc, etc. None of this is widely available with SD, and what it is expensive and limited to BT and WiFi.

If CF is on the way out, it sure has a huge market... SDIO is very limited, and not nearly as ubiqituous as CF.

If it weren't that I saw a Toshiba e355 for 150 bucks, I would have purchased the 2215. The Axim was out of the question with it's size and weight. (I carry it in my pocket all day).

Rickyohead
10-29-2003, 09:51 PM
I don't know for sure, but it seems like CF cards are much faster. I know CF has it's own controller, I don't know about SD.

I don't know about read/write speeds of SD cards, but a great resource on CF cards is at DP Review http://www.dpreview.com.

I agree, swapping out a CF card from a camera to the PPC to view shots sounds awesome.

buckyg
10-30-2003, 04:03 AM
CF "seems" more sturdy to me. That is, for non-memory use, such as a GPS, camera, wi-fi, etc. I say "seems" because the SD stuff that is not just memory is new and I have no hands-on experience. With SD, there's just the little "card" sticking inside the machine and then whatever else may stick out. I do like the idea of the small form factor though.

Then again, you must also consider that I have an iPAQ 5555 and can only use CF with a sleeve...