View Full Version : Print from your Pocket PC Without Wireless

cteel2004
10-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Now print a wide variety of documents from your Pocket PC to any standard desktop printer, without the use of expensive wireless hardware.

When the Pocket PC was first developed, there was generally no support for common printers between the wide varieties of document types out there. It still takes purchasing expensive hardware such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi adapters to connect to expensive specialized printers. Even with this expensive hardware the Pocket PC user is still very limited to what documents they can print. And the fact is most people don’t want a complex wireless system with their Pocket PC where they are constantly juggling multiple add-on cards or having to worry about staying in range of their wireless systems.

That’s why Pocket Watch Software has developed the ActivePrint 2.1 Technology. ActivePrint enables the user of a Pocket PC to print a wide variety of document types from their Pocket PC to their desktop’s default system printer. It requires no expensive wireless devices and no specialized printers. The only thing necessary is your Pocket PC, an ActiveSync connection to your desktop/laptop, and a printer.

Easy of Use
ActivePrint works by using your desktop and the desktop equivalents of your Pocket PC software to print documents that you have created, edited, or received on your Pocket PC.

When a user creates a file away from the office, he/she can queue the file in the ActivePrint Client on the Pocket PC. Once the user returns to the office, all they have to do is connect it to their desktop/laptop through Microsoft ActiveSync and the file will be sitting in the tray of their printer before they can finish making their coffee.

Versatility
Not every computer is the same. Some have different programs, some connect to the internet in different ways, and some connect to Pocket PC’s differently. In order to account for this and be able to print the widest variety of document types possible, ActivePrint will scan your computer to find all of the ActivePrint Compatible document types giving you the best possible list of document types to print from your Pocket PC.

ActivePrint has had as many as sixty compatible document types on one computer, and as few as forty. ActivePrint Compatible document types include types such as:
• Microsoft Word (and Pocket PC equivalent)
• Microsoft Excel (and Pocket PC equivalent)
• Microsoft PowerPoint
• Microsoft Works
• Adobe Acrobat Reader (.pdf)
• Text Files (.txt)
• HTML files

If you would like to preview what document types on your system are compatible, download the ActivePrint Scanner from the Downloads section on our website at http://www.PocketWatchSoftware.com.

Cost Effective
ActivePrint 2.1 costs $39.99, and works on any Pocket PC the moment it comes out of the box without having to buy any add-on cards or specialized printers. Below is a chart comparing the cost of printing from a Pocket PC using ActivePrint Technology to the cost of using wireless technologies such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi

• ActivePrint 2.1 Technology - $379.97
-> Bluetooth enabled Pocket PC – $299.99
-> Standard desktop printer – $39.99
-> ActivePrint 2.1 - $39.99

• Bluetooth - $639.93
-> Bluetooth enabled Printer - $299.99
-> Bluetooth enabled printing software – $39.95

• Wi-Fi - $654.92
-> 11MB 802.11b Wi-Fi CF Adapter - $64.99
-> Wi-Fi compatible printer - $249.99
-> Wi-Fi enabled printing software - $39.95

<font size="1">*Based on retail prices collected on 10/21/2003</font>

Using ActivePrint on your Pocket PC is by far the most cost effective means for printing documents you create in the field on your Pocket PC. Not only does the ActivePrint system cost less, it can also print wider variety of documents.

Visit our website at <a href="http://www.PocketWatchSoftware.com">
http://www.PocketWatchSoftware.com</a> to see screen shots of ActivePrint, view the technical information about ActivePrint such as system requirements. Or, if you’re ready to buy a copy visit our web store by clicking <a href="http://store.eSellerate.net/s.asp?s=STR1450762679&Cmd=BUY&SKURefnum=SKU7484362868">
here</a>. Feel free to ask any questions you have about ActivePrint or anything else about Pocket Watch Software by emailing [email protected].

Thank you for you time,
Charles W. Teel
Owner
Pocket Watch Software
<a href="http://www.PocketWatchSoftware.com">http://www.PocketWatchSoftware.com

JustinGTP
10-24-2003, 04:19 AM
• Wi-Fi - $654.92
-> 11MB 802.11b Wi-Fi CF Adapter - $64.99
-> Wi-Fi compatible printer - $249.99
-> Wi-Fi enabled printing software - $39.95

Surely this would be a Wifi Enabled Pocket PC at $296.00 (Dell Axim X3) and without the Wi-Fi CF Card. This would lower the total to be $585.94

But you are right, your solution is the best. But saying this, why would you need to print from your Docking Cradle when you have your PC / Laptop right there infront of you? Printing wirelessly is a much better solution and can be much easier. Also, if you have RF on your printer, you can print via that. Much cheaper for me, didnt cost a thing because I had the printer already.

This solution may be feasible, if you are one of those W?BIC people.

Thanks for posting, I may look into it, even though I would be contradicting myself :lol:

-Justin.

cteel2004
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Surely this would be a Wifi Enabled Pocket PC at $296.00 (Dell Axim X3) and without the Wi-Fi CF Card. This would lower the total to be $585.94

But you are right, your solution is the best. But saying this, why would you need to print from your Docking Cradle when you have your PC / Laptop right there infront of you? Printing wirelessly is a much better solution and can be much easier. Also, if you have RF on your printer, you can print via that. Much cheaper for me, didnt cost a thing because I had the printer already.

This solution may be feasible, if you are one of those W?BIC people.

Thanks for posting, I may look into it, even though I would be contradicting myself :lol:

-Justin.

To answer your question about printing from the cradle, the primary advantage goes further from the desktop that that. ActivePrint allows you to tag a file for printing while out of the office and away from the cradle.

For example, you have a desktop and a Pocket PC and are away on business. Obviously you're not going to want to bring the desktop to the hotel room. So instead you bring just your Pocket PC. You can then create or edit documents while away on business, and then by using ActivePrint, tag these files for printing. When you return to your office and syncronize your Pocket PC with your desktop, those files that you taged will print for you.

-Charles W. Teel

JustinGTP
10-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Last night, I was thinking about this software. I can ActiveSync wirelessly through Bluetooth, so this means I can print wirelessly using my Bluetooth connection. This makes it more worthwhile to me, and maybe I will consider it. Wireless printing would be excellent :D But for 40 Dollars? That is ridiculous, I can upgrade to a Bluetooth printer for that, and I can use more than one device with it.

-Justin.