View Full Version : jkOnTheRun: Two Zunes, Two Different Experiences

Darius Wey
12-29-2006, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2006/12/two_zunes_two_d.html' target='_blank'>http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2006/12/two_zunes_two_d.html</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;If you listened to the latest MobileTechRoundup episode you know that I won the right to buy a Zune from Amazon for $90. I picked up a white one and decided to give it to my wife for Christmas to replace her aging iPod. Great minds think alike and I was surprised to find my own Zune under the tree on Christmas morning making us a two Zune family. I couldn&rsquo;t wait to get my black Zune installed and loaded with some tunes so I set out to install the Zune software that came with the player. It would be a long day from that point forward.&quot;</em><br /><br />I guess by now, we all know that each member of the Zune community has sat through a very different out-of-the-box experience. Mine was largely seamless. Jason's had kinks. Engadget cried foul words at the installer. Meanwhile, James Kendrick had a different story to tell. Two new Zune devices entered his family this Christmas, and each offered something unique to the table. <a href="http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2006/12/two_zunes_two_d.html" target="_blank">Check out what he had to say</a>, and then tell us what your out-of-the-box experience was like. Bliss or amiss?

rok-star
12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Before i got my zune i downloaded the software from zune.net. (i wanted to get to know all the kinks of the software before i purchased my zune) suprisingly the software install went very smoothly and quickly it was done with everything within 30 minutes (including grabbing all my media files) A couple days later i purchased my zune and synced it up to the computer and decided to update the firmware to v. 1.1 this is where i had problems. after 30 minutes of waiting for the updater did ctrl+alt+delete to get to the task manager well... the zune software wouldnt close it just refused to close so then i was forced to reboot my computer. while my computer was rebooting i went to settings to see if the firmware had been upgraded for some strange reason....and it had. By this point i was just thankful the thing hadnt exploded. But from then on no problems with the zune im completely loving it!

bleeman
01-02-2007, 07:01 AM
My out of box experience was Bliss. I pulled out the CD, fired up the software, it went online for the latest updates and then proceeded to sync with my system. About 2.5 hours later my Zune had less than 5gb free and all of my music, pictures, podcasts and videos were loaded on it. Since then I've been working on reorganizing everything as I didn't realize what a mess I'd make on my Zune just letting it grab everything :eek:. My previous player was a 2gb iPod Nano so I never had that much on it at any one time as I would have to rotate my content on/off to squeeze what I wanted for a particular day into my 2gb.

Now, I'm just working on selling my Nano and my Logitech speakers so I can afford to pickup a set of Zune compatible speakers. I noticed Office Depot of all places has the Altec Lansing speakers on sale this week for $149 instead of the regular $199. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have my Nano sold in time to take advantage of the sale. :( Oh well, I imagine there will be more sales in the future.

NPrtmn4evr
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
My Zune experience was smooth as well. The only thing that I didn't like was the long conversion times on video, but I was used to that from my iPod video anyways. Although after my debacle with my 360, I was pleasantly surprised to own a piece of Microsoft hardware that actually worked the first time ;)