View Full Version : Full Circle: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Jason Dunn
09-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Back when <a href="http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/">I was in college</a>, I took a photography class. I had always enjoyed taking photos with the family cameras, but had never had a camera that I could call my own. For that photography class, I purchased a Canon Rebel, an entry-level 35mm SLR camera. I had a lot of fun with the camera, because it let me experiment with manual settings, or just point and shoot if I felt like it. After the Rebel, I moved on through a series of digital cameras (Kodak DC 265, Canon S110, Canon G3, Canon S400), but I've always had a soft spot for the manual feel of an SLR camera and zoom. The problem was always the price: I just couldn't justify dropping 3K+ on a pro level SLR, especially since it's a hobby, not something I can make money at.<br /><br />So it was with great delight that I learned that Canon was going to revolutionize the world of digital SLR photography by releasing a sub-$1000 USD digital SLR camera with a removable lens. My camera buying habits have come full circle: I now want a digital Rebel as my primary camera. You can check out all the details on the Rebel <a href="http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/index.html">on the Canon Web site</a>, but suffice it to say that Canon has dramatically changed the camera market forever with the release of a six mega pixel SLR camera at this price range.<br /><br />You can <a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=8861A003&affid=T99">buy the body only (no lens)</a> for $899 USD, or <a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=8861A001&affid=T99">the camera body and a EF-S 18 - 55mm Lens</a> for $999 USD. $100 seems like a great deal for that lens, so between the two packages I'm going to go for the latter. Anyone else as excited as me about this release from Canon? [Affiliate]

donkthemagicllama
09-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Back when I was in collage (http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/), I took a photography class.

Perhaps you should have taken some English courses instead of photography courses in "collage". :twisted:

Hehe... sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Personally, I was never into photography. It was unfortunate, because I went all over Europe and spent time in Japan when I was younger and have next to no photos. I purchased a Canon S330 a year ago, more because I wanted a digital camera to mess with than because I had any photographic ambitions. Anyway, I have become a complete shutterbug and love photography now... I wonder how many others that were like me that had no interest in photography until their interest in electronics prompted them to get a digital camera...

This new Canon model does look appealing. After using my s330 and a G4, I don't know how anyone could justify buying any other brand.

marlof
09-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Excited? O yeah! It sure sounds like the Digital Rebel or Canon 300D, although forced to be a bit dumber than the D10, has the features I'd need 95% of the time when making pictures. At this price point, it's a great thing to get a digital SLR in stead of a prosumer all-in-one. DPReview has already quite some user reports on the use of the Digital Rebel in their Canon 300D forum, since the Digital Rebel is already available in the USA through (I believe) Best Buy.

fulltilt
09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Digital Rebel in North America, 300D rest of the world. This will put the pressure on the other manufacturers to improve their prices.

yslee
09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Manual feel of a SLR? Sad to say, the 300D will disappoint in some areas. Thing is that with low end stuff they purposely automate some parts and do not allow for full manual override. It's a bit like getting a car and having to pay more for a manual gearbox nowadays.

I for one dread the release of the 300D, but that's another story altogether, LOL.

rmasinag
09-24-2003, 09:53 AM
I wasn't into photography at all until I got a free cheapo 620X480 digicam from Earthlink. I finally got a real digicam with an Oly C2100UZ and now I'm in my Oly C5050. When I heard about the Digital Rebel. I almost pee my pants 8O sub-1000 SLR? wow!

Now gotta figure outa fair price for my Oly, $500-450 maybe. and come up with the rest of the dough. :(

It's hard being a college student and a geek.

racerx
09-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Manual feel of a SLR? Sad to say, the 300D will disappoint in some areas. Thing is that with low end stuff they purposely automate some parts and do not allow for full manual override. It's a bit like getting a car and having to pay more for a manual gearbox nowadays.

I for one dread the release of the 300D, but that's another story altogether, LOL.

A 6MP camera with interchangable lenses for less than $1000? That is a great deal, no matter how dumbed down it is. Certainly not at the level of my EOS 7e, but I would guess that it is certainly attractive for those who already have EOS lenses and would like to go digital, like me. If it were about $750, I would seriously consider it, but at $1000, I would more likely consider spending the extra $400 and getting the D10 myself. But since 80% of the people with SLRs only go manual about 20% of the time anyway, this should be a big seller.

And collage? Isn't that how they spell college in Canada? :wink:

Deslock
09-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that's a sweet deal. The limited feature-set is a little irritating, but then again my Canon G2 does pretty much everything I need anyway. My biggest gripes with the G2 apply to all non-SLR digicams: no manual-focus ring (using buttons to adjust manual focus sucks), high shutter lag, slow start-up time, and slow shot-to-shot cycle times. The 300D addresses those issues and (like all SLRs) offers interchangeable lenses too.

Here are some reviews of the 300d:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA.HTM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/300d.html

Janak Parekh
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Back when I was in collage (http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/), I took a photography class.
Perhaps you should have taken some English courses instead of photography courses in "collage". :twisted:
It's called the "post-in-a-hurry-so-college-doesn't-matter" syndrome. :lol:

--janak

shekondar
09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
:drool:

The only thing that would be better is if Minolta would come out with a digital SLR that would let me use all of my Minolta manual-focus lenses...

Still, it's cool to see that digital SLRs are finally coming down to reasonable prices!

mhaffner
09-24-2003, 01:50 PM
I am as excited as you are. Mine will arrive today.

gorkon280
09-24-2003, 02:16 PM
You have just posted what will be my next camera! ;) I love this price! I have always wanted a SLR and now I will have a digital one! Yeeha! The prosumer all in ones all promise nice things, but my main problem is the availablity of acessories. My camera has lenses that screw on the front of the camera, but I can't find the blasted things anywhere but on the manufacturer website and even they don't always have them. With this one I can just get any EOS Rebel lense and use it....including telephoto!

ricksfiona
09-24-2003, 02:38 PM

A 6MP camera with interchangable lenses for less than $1000? That is a great deal, no matter how dumbed down it is. Certainly not at the level of my EOS 7e, but I would guess that it is certainly attractive for those who already have EOS lenses and would like to go digital, like me. If it were about $750, I would seriously consider it, but at $1000, I would more likely consider spending the extra $400 and getting the D10 myself. But since 80% of the people with SLRs only go manual about 20% of the time anyway, this should be a big seller.

And collage? Isn't that how they spell college in Canada? :wink:

I agree. I would consider saving up for the D10. Still, this should put serious pressure on other manufacturers to lower their prices.

igreen
09-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Hopefully Canon won't propagate the issues with 10D in this "low-end" model. A friend of mine has the EOS-10D, it has a problem with the autofocus....namely it will focus slightly in front of the object you want it to. Canon has reportedly released a firmware patch for the EOS-10D....but I've heard that it doesn't quite fix it. In short.....wait for the reviews before plonking down your hard earned cash.

Emike
09-24-2003, 03:49 PM
I am a proud owner of the new Canon Eos Digital Rebel. I have had several digital cameras starting with a 1.3megapixel Kodak DC240, but even my most recent Olympus C3000 seems like a toy in comparison. This camera can focus and take the picture in .25 seconds. Most digital cameras on the market take somewhere in the neighborhood of a second to accomplish the same task. My C3000 would at times take more than a second. It was painful.
I have only had the 300D for five days and already I have taken over 300 pictures with it. The pictures taken at even ISO 400 are silkly smooth with virtually no digital noise. This camera definetly rocks!

mattbugz
09-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm definitely excited about the Canon Digital Rebel (300D)!! I think it will revolutionize the DSLR/Prosumer market at the &lt;$1000 class. This DSLR is not targeted for the point and shoot nor the professional user. If you think the features the 300D lacks are essential, then spend the extra $500 for the 10D or better yet, spend $6000+ more for the 1Ds. The 300D is perfect for those serious amateurs who want to learn more about digital photography without dishing out the big $$ for the professional grade models. IMHO - For the price, the features far outweigh the lack thereof.

I recently replaced my Sony DSC-S85 with a Canon S400. Now I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a 300D and demoting the S400 as the weekend PS camera. :) However, there is a hidden cost associated with DSLR's that prolly won't fly with the wife....the cost of lenses, not to mention other accessories. The cost of a good lens to accompany the 300D is going to run an additional $500+. Ouch!

Check out the review at:
DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/)

And the forum at:
300D Forum (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031)

djdj
09-24-2003, 06:19 PM
I am totally amazed that Canon is pulling this off. A digital SLR at HALF of what the competition is charging. Amazing!

I bought a Canon 10D a couple months back and have absolutely LOVED this camera. The Rebel Digital (300D to some) has the same image sensor as the 10D so pictures should look just as good... awestriking!

It is true they skimped on a few features, but you are getting a true 6.3 MP digital SLR that can uses 35mm Canon EF lenses for $900. Simply amazing. Most people buying an entry-level SLR won't even miss the features they removed.

For anyone who buys this camera, do get it with the EF-S 18-55 lens! Canon doesn't sell the lens separately, so you can't buy it later, and getting one that goes down to 18mm zoom is going to co$t you a lot more than the $100 you pay for this one. And then after you have had the camera a while invest in the Canon 28-135mm USM Image Stabilization lens.

My next wish is that Canon (or some 3rd party) come out with a lens converter that shrinks the image 38% to compensate for the 1.6x multiplier. Hasn't been too big a deal, but I can't get the same wide shots I could with my Elan 7e. My formerly wide angle lens is more of a general purpose lens on these cameras because of the 1.6x multiplier.

Before buying my 10D I used a Canon PowerShot G1 for digital and an Canon Elan 7e for film. The 10D has replaced them both for almost all of my photography. (The only time I use film now is when I have to have prints.) The 10D (as would be the Rebel Digital) is sharper and has more accurate colors than most film. I hardly touch my 7e anymore... digital is just too easy. No 24-exposure per roll limitations. No film costs. No waiting for developing. No scanning to do Photoshop work. No storage boxes filled with prints I'll never look at again.

I would highly recommend that anyone in this market pick up either the Rebel Digital or 10D. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hans the Hedgehog
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
... If it were about $750, I would seriously consider it, but at $1000, I would more likely consider spending the extra $400 and getting the D10 myself.

But that's the 10D without a lens... throw a lens onto the 10D (if you don't already have any) and you are looking at another $300+ (at least for a good lens), which brings the total to over $700+ to move to the 10D! If you get the typical $28-135mm IS lens that everyone seems to love, then you are looking at nearly an extra $1k to move to the 10D! 8O

The 18-55mm is a pretty good lens, especially for the extra $100 over a body-only system.

Prevost
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Anyone else as excited as me about this release from Canon? [Affiliate]I am !!! :clap:

As I said in a thread I started soon ago, I am enticed to go for something better than my 2Mp A60 after my trip to Europe, but reasonably I thought that buying another point and shoot type camera makes no sense no matter how high the resolution could be, and moving to a film SLR is like going back to my tastes. This can be my answer!

NeilE
09-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Hey Jason, since you're taking the plunge to SLR digital photography, you now need to run out for a Costco membership! Their printing services for digital imaging are amazing. Dunno about the Canadian prices, but in the US you can get a 12x18 print for $2.99 in an hour or less. The quality is fantastic. Everyone over at http://www.dpreview.com/ is raving about it.

Jason Dunn
09-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey Jason, since you're taking the plunge to SLR digital photography, you now need to run out for a Costco membership!

Yeah, I've seen their digital prints - I took the same 4x6 image and compared their print to a print off my Canon i950, and they were almost indistinguishable. :D I use Ofoto now for my oversize prints, but for anything up to 8x10, my printer does an amazing job. :way to go:

maximus
09-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Hopefully Canon won't propagate the issues with 10D in this "low-end" model. A friend of mine has the EOS-10D, it has a problem with the autofocus....namely it will focus slightly in front of the object you want it to. Canon has reportedly released a firmware patch for the EOS-10D....but I've heard that it doesn't quite fix it. In short.....wait for the reviews before plonking down your hard earned cash.

No no no. Autofocus is fixed. Right now I have a 300D in my hand, I can play with it for 1-2 weeks. Awesome camera. Picture quality is good, almost no artifact ... Handling is a bit awkward though (personal opinion). Ah, I guess I just stayed with my faithful Sigma SD9.

NeilE
09-25-2003, 01:32 AM
for anything up to 8x10, my printer does an amazing job.

And at how much per print? :)

Also, if you're drooling over the Digital Rebel, the 10D isn't that far out of reach (it's my new baby, I love it :mrgreen: ). You can find perfectly good 10D referbs for $1090 USD, or new for $1300.

Of course, the camera is just the start. Even if you already have Canon lenses you'll find yourself lusting after a 17-40L, 70-200 IS, 50mm 1.8 (cheap, thank goodness!) or a big honkin 400L IS :drool: And don't forget the tripod, CF/Microdrive, a copy of Photoshop, Wacom tablet for editing, extra battery, external flash, bigger harddrive, DVD burner for backups...

Oh dear, this is a mighty expensive hobby 8O

hotweiss
09-25-2003, 02:49 AM
I agree, Canon makes the best consumer cameras. My Canon S400 takes perfect pictures, and it can be carried in your pocket. The Canon Rebel killer might be the Sony F828, which has an 8 megapixel sensor. Although, the Rebel does offer you the ability to change lenses...

AKBishop
09-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I've seen their digital prints - I took the same 4x6 image and compared their print to a print off my Canon i950, and they were almost indistinguishable. :D I use Ofoto now for my oversize prints, but for anything up to 8x10, my printer does an amazing job. :way to go:

I love my i950. It's just amazing. When my wife get's the Digital Rebel I think we're moving to the i9100... I just need an excuse to print off 13 x 19 prints with the same phenomenal speed and quality of the i950.

AKBishop
09-25-2003, 03:33 AM
The Canon Rebel killer might be the Sony F828, which has an 8 megapixel sensor. Although, the Rebel does offer you the ability to change lenses...

You can't compare the two. The F828 is going to have some serious noise issues. There's no way it will be in the same league as the Canon 300D unless you just want raw megapixels.

mattbugz
09-25-2003, 04:20 AM
BTW: CompUSA has a special for those interested, that takes an additional 10% off the price of the 300D.

Click here (http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/html_ad/default.asp)

If you don't want to purchase from CompUSA, determine if another reputable business is willing to match this coupon.

Christian
09-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Personally, I'm eying the new Minolta Dimage A1. While it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, it certainly has the SLR "feel" and control, paired with a superb 28-200mm image stabilizing lens which would cost a fortune if bought separately for the Digital Rebel. And from the latest photos posted at www.dpreview.com, the noise has improved considerably from the D7Hi. I don't deny the impact that the 300D is having on the photography world but having switched last year from an SLR setup to my current 7i, I can't say I've ever missed the cost, bulk, weight and dust issues of interchangeable lenses. :)

Jonathon Watkins
09-25-2003, 11:37 PM
I traveled round the world with a Canon 500N (Older version of the 300/Rebel) and a Canon 28-135mm USM Image Stabilization lens. Great system to have!

My next wish is that Canon (or some 3rd party) come out with a lens converter that shrinks the image 38% to compensate for the 1.6x multiplier. Hasn't been too big a deal, but I can't get the same wide shots I could with my Elan 7e. My formerly wide angle lens is more of a general purpose lens on these cameras because of the 1.6x multiplier.

That's the killer for me. I like genuine 17mm ultra wide angle work. You would need an insane 11mm lens to pulll that off with a 1.6 multiplier, i.e. not going to happen. :| I will wait for the 1:1 ratio CCDs to arrive. They are coming.....

...digital is just too easy. No 24-exposure per roll limitations. No film costs. No waiting for developing. No scanning to do Photoshop work. No storage boxes filled with prints I'll never look at again.

Totally agree. I have a Canon S45 at the moment. It's a really great take anywhere camera - but a 1:1 ratio digital SLR in in my future at sone point........ :mrgreen:

tmulli
12-01-2003, 08:02 PM
:drool:

The only thing that would be better is if Minolta would come out with a digital SLR that would let me use all of my Minolta manual-focus lenses...

You said it. I use a Maxxum 7 and would love to be able to use my lenses with a digital SLR of their making. I keep waiting for them to bring one out, but instead they continue to release these in-between prosumer/true SLR types. I was looking into the A1, but only 5 MPs?!!

Minolta makes excellent 35mm cameras, but they seem to be behind when it comes to digital SLRs. :cry:

richyi
12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
:lol:
My wife and I were going on a vacation to Egypt in late September and I knew about the Digital Rebel coming out. Just got it in time and I also got a 1GB memory card. While in Egypt, I took 280 plus pictures in various photographic situations and most of them "off the hip" in auto mode.
I could not be more pleased with the performance of the camera as nearly all the photos came out perfectly. I had hard time selecting around 120 pictures for hard copy from Snapfish. Since pictures were taken in the highest resolutions there were no problem gettign 8x10 pictures of the very best and would have gone larger if the sizes were available.
I tried Canon G5 but like so many Digital cameras, I just could not get used to looking at a screen to frame and take pictures. I wanted the TTL in digital format and when Rebel came along at $999.00 there were no looking back and am looking forward to using it on our China trip next year.
Hold off, save a little longer and get this camera. You will be GLAD you did.

Richyi

madmaxmedia
12-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Enjoy, the Digital Rebel is a great camera for the price! I bought a used D30 off EBay a year ago, and it is still a great camera. Similar to the Rebel except not as many megapixels.

Also, not all megapixels are created equal. It doesn't matter if you have a 10 MP camera, if there is noise and artifacts in the picture. The Canon DSLR's produce incredible images.

One tip- try shooting at ISO 200 or 400 as your standard setting- you will barely notice the difference in noise, and you'll capture more sharp pics in available light (won't have to use the flash as much).

Also, try the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, an incredibly sharp lens that is also very fast. It's supercheap ($70 or so), the f1.8 and 80mm equivalent (x1.6 factor) is great for portraits. You won't buy a sharper lens for under $300 or so- (definitely sharper and better than the decent bundled lens). I'm not a photo snob, but for $70 it's worth it.