View Full Version : "International Talk Like A Pirate Day"

Pat Logsdon
09-20-2003, 05:34 PM
As I am on vacation at the moment, I could not get to a computer yesterday to bring you this exciting news. Even though International Talk Like A Pirate Day was yesterday (Sept. 19th), I feel that it is my duty to share this information with all of you.

What is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, you ask? It's very simple. Just sprinkle some "piratey" words and phrases into your normal conversation. And I don't just mean "Arrrr"...that's almost cheating, since everyone knows that one. To talk like a REAL pirate, you need to use words and phrases like "Avast!", "Ahoy!", "Scurvy Dogs!", and "Me hearty!".

For example, you could say something like "I'd like a venti easy ice no whip mocha frappuccino, me hearty!"

Or "Would any of you scurvy dogs like bacon with your eggs?"

Or perhaps "Shiver me timbers, I could go for a nice mug of grog with my Tofurkey (TM) sandwich, arrr!"

See how easy it is? If you'd like more information on how to talk like a pirate, there's an excellent arrrrticle (http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1435309.html) on the NPR site that will help you. If you can, listen to the audio as well - it's very funny. :mrgreen:

Godsongz
09-20-2003, 06:11 PM
...you could say something like "I'd like a venti easy ice no whip mocha frappuccino, me hearty!"

OT but, whatever happened to coffee :rofl:

ctmagnus
09-20-2003, 09:22 PM
...you could say something like "I'd like a venti easy ice no whip mocha frappuccino, me hearty!"

OT but, whatever happened to coffee :rofl:

Dude, coffee is so 80s.

:rotfl:

Video11
09-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Yarr! Or ye scurvy dogs can be visitin' Cap'n Slappy at http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

GoldKey
09-21-2003, 01:32 AM
Yo Ho Yo Ho, The Pirates Life for Me!

Jon Westfall
09-21-2003, 03:03 AM
I have a theory that all men (possibly women as well) secretly wish to be pirates. I have actually given much thought to this, proven in word documents I have entitled "The Original and More reasons why I want to be a Pirate". If you're brave (and don't mind some mild language), then you can check out http://www.bugjr.com/pirate.html for all the wonderous reasons and twisted ideas of my mind (Please don't ask me to explain all the people listed in the documents - they are names of my friends who asked to be involved with my pirating venture. Hopefully my girlfriend, Karey, and the others won't notice my publicizing their in-the-closet-pirate-wannabe statuses.

AppleMac
09-21-2003, 02:29 PM
p1rAt35 a3r 01d n00zzzzz
n0w 1t5 WAR3Z 1337-SP33K3R5!!!!11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
r0x0r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WaR3Z p1rAt3!!!!!!! 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1

:D

JustinGTP
09-22-2003, 04:39 AM
p1rAt35 a3r 01d n00zzzzz
n0w 1t5 WAR3Z 1337-SP33K3R5!!!!11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
r0x0r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 WaR3Z p1rAt3!!!!!!! 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1

:D

"Pirates are old news, now its wares leet speekers... roxer... wares pirate!..."

Thats what I got from that mumbo jumbo.

ctmagnus
09-22-2003, 04:52 AM
"Pirates are old news, now its wares leet speekers... roxer... wares pirate!..."

Thats what I got from that mumbo jumbo.

could be worse. If AppleMac was a frat boy, that phrase would have been intertwined with several w00h00!'s. :wink:

dean_shan
09-22-2003, 05:20 AM
How much is pirate corn?

A buck an ear

Yeah I know it's cheesey.

JustinGTP
09-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Dangerously Cheesy.

ctmagnus
09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Did somebody mention cheese (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3688)?

:mrgreen:

dh
09-22-2003, 10:03 PM
And I don't just mean "Arrrr"...that's almost cheating, since everyone knows that one.
But if you were to combine "Arrrrrr" with "Jim Lad", you'd get the classic from the old Treasure Island movie.

Interestingly, I just re-read the book with my daughter and Long John Silver does not say "Arrrrrr Jim Lad" even once.:D

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 12:23 AM
At school on Wednesday we have "Pirate Day", where you dress and talk like a pirate. Im in highschool, I cannot believe we are doing this. Humph. :roll:

-Justin.

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 12:50 AM
At school on Wednesday we have "Pirate Day", where you dress and talk like a pirate. Im in highschool, I cannot believe we are doing this. Humph. :roll:
I seem to remember theme days being more popular in middle school / junior high, but I think we still had one or two in high school. I seem to remember "pajama day" being the most popular. Pirate day would have been a lot of fun!

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Pajama Day is really popular for all of the popular valley girls/screaming Oh My God I missed you SO Much girly girls who cannot speak without adding a few million "likes" in all of their sentences, even if you can call it that! :roll: :lol:

Justin.

maximus
09-23-2003, 01:41 AM
I have a theory that all men (possibly women as well) secretly wish to be pirates.

Not me. The thought of taking a bath once every 3 months is simply ... overwhelming. :mrgreen:

At school on Wednesday we have "Pirate Day", where you dress and talk like a pirate. Im in highschool, I cannot believe we are doing this. Humph.

Take a picture, and post it here. :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 02:00 AM
Pajama Day is really popular for all of the popular valley girls/screaming Oh My God I missed you SO Much girly girls who cannot speak without adding a few million "likes" in all of their sentences, even if you can call it that! :roll: :lol:
Well, I do have a theory that as the number of young ladies in a given group increases, the pitch of their collective voices becomes higher.

Volume does also tend to increase, but I feel that particular phenomenon is independent of gender. This is based on years of personal research, dedicating myself to the task of studying "students", whose natural habitat can be found in the apartment building behind my bedroom, or the alley between. Most of the observed utterances do not actually form a language. The most common of these is "WOOOO!!!", or other grunts and random vocalizing.

Currently, however, I am waiting in anticipation of a particularly curious habit of these creatures. When the weather drops below approximately 45 degrees Fahrenheit, many of the "students" nocturnally congregate out-of-doors to yell "Oh my God it's COOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD!!!". From the use of language, I must assume this is a plea to whatever gods these creatures may worship to provide additional warmth. However, it is also possible that this is instead a rite of passage: to declare one's acceptance of the hashness of nature to everyone within a 10 block radius.

While "high school students" have not been part of my sample set, many of these college students had only recently roamed beyond the high school territory. I would expect similar behavior, then, from the slightly-younger of the species.

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 02:15 AM
Farenheit, what about -16F! The bunch of wussies, I know.

I like your descriptive paragraph on these College Students. Don't forget, you were probably a College/University student!

-Justin.

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 02:31 AM
Farenheit, what about -16F! The bunch of wussies, I know.
Well, when it gets below 32F, they stay inside, and it's blissfully quiet.

Yes, I was a college student. I did NOT, however, run around the neighborhood screaming at the top of my lungs at 2am. I think I'd already taken the physics class where they teach "loud noises wake people up". Obviously, this course has been pushed to later in the curriculum for some students.

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 02:56 AM
I think they use this word: P A R T Y? Because They Gotta!

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
09-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Kati - interesting analysis. Methinks you should write a paper on it. :lol:

Interestingly, said subjects behave very differently here. Perhaps because it's warmer? These creatures that you refer to tend to be much less whiny when the weather turns colder. They just bundle up and go about their business. It must be your part of the country.

And Justin: yes, you have us all beat up there in Calgary. I had a uncle who lived on a farm just outside of Winnipeg. No, I don't know how. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 03:28 AM
Interestingly, said subjects behave very differently here. Perhaps because it's warmer? These creatures that you refer to tend to be much less whiny when the weather turns colder. They just bundle up and go about their business. It must be your part of the country.

It is the non-native variety that begin the chorus. However, I suspect the native subjects join due to mob mentality.

Janak Parekh
09-23-2003, 03:49 AM
It is the non-native variety that begin the chorus. However, I suspect the native subjects join due to mob mentality.
Ah. It must be the lack of details during orientation then. The non-native variety are very cold here, but they just look cold instead of screaming about it. Or maybe I've managed to avoid the newbies? 8O ;)

--janak

maximus
09-23-2003, 05:14 AM
Personally, I love cold weather. When I was a student, and the temperature drop below 5 centigrade (which is a very rare occasion in Austin, TX), I just turn up the heat a bit, and go back inside my thick blanket.

The real pain is usually during summers, when the temperature rised above 35 centigrade ... The air conditioner only helps a bit, so I fill the bathtub with water, and throwed myself in, and sleep there.

Come to think of it, I think I made a mistake when choosing Texas. Should have chosen a colder place like NY, indiana, wisconsin, etc. Sadly, during my life, I have not experienced the term "Freezing my a$$ off". :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Sadly, during my life, I have not experienced the term "Freezing my a$$ off". :mrgreen:
Ah. It isn't *really* winter until my butt goes numb from the cold.

maximus
09-23-2003, 05:54 AM
I just realized that you are no longer a moderator-in-trainee ... Congrats!

Time flies by so fast .... I still remember about our conversation about the meaning of the word 'pontificator' :mrgreen: