View Full Version : 2 John's died overnight =(

JackTheTripper
09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
John Ritter (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030912/ap_on_en_tv/obit_ritter) A.K.A Jack Tripper

and

Jonhhy Cash (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&ncid=762&e=7&u=/nm/20030912/music_nm/people_cash_dc) A.K.A The man in black

R.I.P.[/url]

Kati Compton
09-12-2003, 03:50 PM
:( :( :(

If you know any Johns, call and make sure they're okay!

Sigh.

xbalance
09-12-2003, 03:59 PM
as if 9/11 wasn't a sad enough day allready.

Peace, happiness and prosperity to all PPCT readers.

Crystal Eitle
09-12-2003, 04:03 PM
I am totally bummed about this. While Johnny Cash led a full life and blessed the world with hundreds of recordings, it is still sad to hear about his passing. In May when Cash's wife June Carter Cash died, a friend of mine predicted that Johnny Cash would probably die soon afterward. Sadly, he was right.

John Ritter, on the other hand, was still quite young (52?) He died of an aortal aneurysm on the set of a TV show (?) (this is what I heard on the radio this morning). While I wasn't a huge fan of "Three's Company," I did quite enjoy Ritter's performance in Sling Blade. It's sad when people die young and unexpectedly.

ntractv
09-12-2003, 04:11 PM
If you've never seen the movie, Skin Deep, grab it some time. I think that was John Ritter's best work.

flux2k
09-12-2003, 04:22 PM
If you've never seen the movie, Skin Deep, grab it some time. I think that was John Ritter's best work.

While I wouldn't really agree with that statement it does have one of the funniest moments in movies: the battling glowing condoms. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. :D :(

That and also that episode of Larry Sanders where John Ritter and Gene Siskel are waiting to be on the show, they start arguing about Skin Deep and the end up getting into a fistfight backstage. John gives Gene a blackeye. Now they've both passed away. :(

Janak Parekh
09-12-2003, 04:31 PM
:mecry:

I watched John Ritter growing up. I wasn't old enough to get all the jokes in Three's Company, but it's interesting that it was funny to a wide audience. Who would have thought that Don Knotts would have outlived John Ritter? :cry:

--janak

egads
09-12-2003, 04:57 PM

While I wouldn't really agree with that statement it does have one of the funniest moments in movies: the battling glowing condoms. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. :D :(
:(

I was watching CNN this morning before work and heard John had died. When ever I think of John I remember that glowing condom scene and crack up. Move was pretty bad, but that scene made the movie...

I'm not a hugh Jonny Cash fan, but I liked most of his music. It's wierd, I was playing "Long black veil" for my kids last night. I was trying to get them to actually LISTEN to the words in a song because some songs tell great stories, like "Long black veil". Jonhhy Cash most always had a story in his songs and I liked that...

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 05:09 PM
It always seems so strange when celebrities die - because they're such a small % of the population, they seem strangely immortal...

Quite sad :cry: - I had lots of laughs watching Three's Company... :lol:

Kevin Remhof
09-12-2003, 05:43 PM
While I wasn't a huge fan of "Three's Company," I did quite enjoy Ritter's performance in Sling Blade.

I agree 100%. I remember seeing the movie and going, "Is that really John Ritter?". A great performance.

JackTheTripper
09-12-2003, 06:02 PM
I used to know someone who was a production assistant or something and she was on the set of a made-for-TV movie Ritter was in. She said he walked on the set and had orange hair. Like he was trying to dye his hair to be a red head but it looked like a bad dye. They had to light the set just right and add all sorts of filters to make it look more natural. It took forever to shoot because of all the set up but not once did he complain. She said he just loved acting. :(

Fishie
09-12-2003, 06:32 PM
This might seem weird and far fetched to some of you but I always saw Cash as the inventor of gangster rap.

nosmohtac
09-12-2003, 11:21 PM
I will definitely miss John Ritter. I grew up with Three's Company, and loved his physical clumsy comedy. I was always surprised he didn't go on to bigger things with that comedy style. I compare him to Chevy Chase in that regard.

Jeff Rutledge
09-13-2003, 01:07 AM
I just heard that John Ritter died on his daughter's fifth birthday. Very sad.

JustinGTP
09-14-2003, 05:31 AM
I liked "8 Simple Rules... For Dating my Teenage Daughter". It was a really funny show, all good actors. I wonder what they are going to do without him! Maybe they will say he died in a car accident and then continue the show?

I dont think he can be replaced (Ritter), he was so perfect for that part!

-Justin.

Jeff Rutledge
09-14-2003, 06:14 AM
I liked "8 Simple Rules... For Dating my Teenage Daughter". It was a really funny show, all good actors. I wonder what they are going to do without him! Maybe they will say he died in a car accident and then continue the show?

I dont think he can be replaced (Ritter), he was so perfect for that part!

-Justin.

That's the million dollar question for ABC. They released a statement that they wouldn't make any business decisions until later out of respect for his family.

It's a tough decision to make. I really doubt they'll recast the role of Paul. The show was built around John Ritter as that character. I don't think many would tune in to see someone else playing him.

They could continue the show and focus it around Katey Seagal and then introduce a strong male to offset (maybe an Uncle who comes to help with the family after Paul dies).

This hasn't really happened before. Many shows have had actors die, but they were part of an emsemble or a supporting role. This was the lead character of a show that was one of the networks flagships. It was to anchor Tuesday night (a night which is becoming the new Thursday). The closest thing that's happened is when Redd Foxx died a few weeks into "The Royal Family" in the early 90's. That show went off the air for quite a while and then came back with his character's death written into the show. It only lasted a few episodes after that.

I hope they can do something to keep it alive though. I highly doubt they'll cancel the series. They just need to find a way to keep it going in a way that people will feel good about themselves tuning in. To me, John Ritter was the anchor of the show, but the two daughters are the talent. If they can get someone in who can keep the show tethered, and ease the audience into a show without John Ritter and with someone new, I think it could stick around for a while. It's a good show with good writing and that's the most important thing.

Jeff Rutledge
09-17-2003, 12:27 AM
It looks like ABC is going to try and keep it going.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=579&e=1&u=/nm/20030916/en_nm/leisure_abc_dc

JackTheTripper
09-17-2003, 12:38 AM
I figured they would try that. It will keep the viewers tuned in for the first few shows to see what happens. The trick is keeping it funny enough in a respectful manner to KEEP those viewers.

It's gonna be tough.

P.S. Lately at night I can't find anything to watch but 3's company on Nick at Night. =(

Jeff Rutledge
09-17-2003, 12:45 AM
I still think that they'll need to cast a "rock" for the show. I don't think Katey Seagal is it.

Maybe they should consider casting an older person (maybe Paul's Uncle). Then they'd have the "old-timer" generational gap to play with.

I got the impression that the start of this season (probably at least for the rest of the year) will be more serious in tone and they'll gradually ramp up the humour.

JustinGTP
09-17-2003, 05:04 AM
I dont know how it will be as good as it will be, just like madtv, when most of their characters left! I wonder if Ill watch 8 Simple Rules again. Its going to be much, much different, as Ritter was really funny and tied the show together.

-Justin.

Jeff Rutledge
10-16-2003, 09:55 PM
I still think that they'll need to cast a "rock" for the show. I don't think Katey Seagal is it.

Maybe they should consider casting an older person (maybe Paul's Uncle). Then they'd have the "old-timer" generational gap to play with.

I got the impression that the start of this season (probably at least for the rest of the year) will be more serious in tone and they'll gradually ramp up the humour.

Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

8 Simple Rules Resumes with James Garner (http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|84107|1|,00.html).