View Full Version : Free Majestic Chess for Pocket PC

Andy Sjostrom
09-09-2003, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.vugames.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=420' target='_blank'>http://www.vugames.com/product.do?g...ePlatformId=420</a><br /><br /></div>Even if you are not in to chess, check this out! Majestic Chess is certainly the most graphically beautiful chess game I have ever seen. Follow the link and view the video illustrating the game! According to the press release, specially marked boxes of the Hoyle Majestic Chess PC game also include a free Pocket PC version. I would certainly love to see what this baby looks like on a Pocket PC, so if you happen to own it I would very much appreciate if you would share some screen shots!<br /><br />"Innovating the most classic of all board games, HoyleR Majestic ChessT introduces players at every level to a completely new way to play chess with Chess Adventure. Unlike previous chess games, Chess Adventure combines the best of an adventure game with the best of chess - great fun for chess fans or just computer gamers. A game within a game, Chess Adventure allows players to experience chess and battle opponents through a variety of challenges, chess moves and puzzles, all in the context of a fantasy adventure game."

Brad Adrian
09-09-2003, 12:59 PM
If anybody finds this PC/Pocket PC version in a retail store, give us a shout. I'd like to know more about where people can buy it.

VanHlebar
09-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Andy,
Where is the free part? I followed the link, which goes to a PC platform page. I am always looking for new and exciting chess games. Free is even better if we knew where to go to get it :)

The graphics look great from their pc page.

-Eric

hakubak
09-09-2003, 02:38 PM
:?

I work for an organization that takes security pretty seriously. To the point that they do not allow the MacroMedia Flash player to be installed on our desktops. Excessive or not, it's the environment in which I work.

Web sites which offer Flash-only content are not very impressive.

Translation: No sale.

GoldKey
09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Andy,
Where is the free part? I followed the link, which goes to a PC platform page. I am always looking for new and exciting chess games. Free is even better if we knew where to go to get it :)

-Eric

According to the press release, specially marked boxes of the Hoyle Majestic Chess PC game also include a free Pocket PC version.

VanHlebar
09-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Andy,

-Eric

According to the press release, specially marked boxes of the Hoyle Majestic Chess PC game also include a free Pocket PC version.

:oops: :oops: You know sometimes it hurts when you land on your a$$ from sticking both feet in your mouth. 8O

mbeatle
09-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I have to pay money to get it, and that counts as free?

D.psi
09-09-2003, 03:37 PM
My wife and I have bought a couple of Hoyle's game packs each of which came with one "free" Pocket PC compatible game. We were able to install the games on our, then obsolete, HP 548s. Since we have upgraded to our new Ipaq 2210's we have also been able to install these games on our Ipaq's without problems with WM 2003.

The games are very stable, and clean. Their Pocket PC appearance being identical to the windows version. I will attempt to purchase this chess game as I am interested in improving my game play.

We have previously bought Hoyle's games at Staples Business Depot stores in Canada. Sorry, don't know where to get them in the States. I believe that I did see Hoyle's at the one/ only/ new best buy here in Ottawa but I can't swear to it. Hope that helps.

D.psi

Bill Gunn
09-09-2003, 03:38 PM
I have to pay money to get it, and that counts as free?

I bought a house and it came with a free driveway. :lol:

egoz
09-09-2003, 04:01 PM
In America, we call this "misleading advertising."
In this case, i'd call it misleading marketing.

Plain talk builds respect.

(Gotta watch out for those sly capitalists. ;-) )

.rob adams

Jacob
09-09-2003, 04:20 PM
misleading marketing.

I thought those two were synonyms :wink:

quidproquo
09-09-2003, 05:09 PM
I guess it is free if specially marked packages also have the PPC version included....and some "not specially marked" packages DON"T have the PPC version.

If those two products are the same price....then it is free.

This is just like all those other "free" ploys..... You get a "free" supply of refills....if you buy our product. :wink:

But if you like chess (which I do) and you have a PPC, this is probably worth it. Generally the Hoyle games I have seen are usually reasonably priced.

GoldKey
09-09-2003, 05:23 PM
In America, we call this "misleading advertising."
In this case, i'd call it misleading marketing.

Plain talk builds respect.

(Gotta watch out for those sly capitalists. ;-) )

.rob adams

The press release says "specially marked boxes of the Hoyle Majestic Chess PC game also include a free Pocket PC version."

How exactly is that misleading?

Perhaps though, this thread would be better titled "Free Majestic Chess for Pocket PC with purchase of desktop version." But I think the post in the thread explains the headline very well.

Raynne
09-09-2003, 06:56 PM
The problem is finding it. I don't really care about the desktop version, but would love the PPC version, and there is no way to order it online because it has to be a "specially marked box". Arghhhhh! And I am addicted to chess games. Still trying to find the "perfect" one.

Trevor_NYC
09-09-2003, 07:12 PM
The pre-order price at J&amp;R Computer World (http://www.jandr.com) in New York is $26.88. I work near the store so I'll have to keep an eye out to see if any of the boxes are 'specially marked'. Their product description does not mention a pocketpc version.

Raynne
09-09-2003, 07:33 PM
For those of you with Pocket PC versions of the Hoyle PC games, are they the exact same game, or just similar?

D.psi
09-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Just got a copy of this item... I managed to snag it a Compucentre in Orleans, a suburb of Ottawa. It went for $40 CDN. Staples did not appear to stock Hoyle's games anymore, though I recently remember seeing them around. Another store had other Hoyle's titles going from $25 - 35 CDN, but not this one.

Like my other Hoyle's titles Majestic Chess provides some, but not all of the desktop capability to the PPC. Primarily it provides the following functions: chess play, selection one of two board background textures, four piece styles, and two views (perspective, and full view).

There are four "game" modes: standard chess, a stealth chess mode (you place your pieces however you want on the last two rows), a puzzle mode, and a tutorial mode.

I believe timed moves, hints, and legal move highlights are also available.

I can't judge the game AI, as I usually get whooped by computer chess games, but I should be able to improve my gameplay using some of the "alternate" game modes.

A variety of other options (save, restore, etc...) are also available, but the desktop campaign game concept is not available on the PPC. Actually the campaign game may get met to invoke this game from the desktop. It sounds intriguing.

That's just a quick look at this game, hope this helps you other folks looking into this game.

D.psi

Raynne
09-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, I also bought this game. I love the PC version, and REALLY wish they would release the Chess Adventure for the PPC. The chess adventure part will help me get better at the game, and then hopefully I will get good enough to use the PPC version. I would love Chess Adventure for the PPC, though. :( *hint hint to developers*

I believe if I could take my favorite features from each of my seven or so PPC chess games, then I would finally have the "perfect" chess game. :?