View Full Version : Soap-Box Rant: Electronics on Aircraft

CTSLICK
07-29-2003, 10:38 PM
:soapbox:

I was flying on a major airline last week and had to witness yet another tirade unleashed by some self absorbed techno-junkie with a massive sense of entitlement. He argued loudly and abusively with the flight attendant for the better part of 5 minutes (thanks for the delay) about shutting his computer off before departing the gate and argued once again when it was time to land because he was already trying to use his cell phone. I've seen this type of behavior to varying degrees on 3 of the last 5 flights I have been on. All I can say is stop it...NOW...PLEASE. :twak:

Now...most everybody figures that 99% of the electronics we bring on the aircraft pose little threat to the aircraft systems. And thats probably correct. The FAA is finally, officially looking at this. See Jason's recent post on this subject (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=144055)

But until the FAA gets off its butt, completes its testing and gets all the "i"'s dotted and the "t"'s crossed I implore those of us with half a brain to quit creating a problem on the aircraft. These are the rules we have to deal with until then. Arguing with a flight attendant about the merits of electronic interference is asinine. Flight attendants must enforce the rules, its part of the job. So please let them do their job and shut your stuff off when you are asked to.

If you want to lodge a complaint about airline policy it is far more effective to call their customer service number than it is to badger a flight attendant who is 6 hours into a 10 hour day.

There...I've said it...I feel much better now. :)

dwildone
07-29-2003, 11:01 PM
:clap: Amen. I can't count on 2 hands how many times I've witnessed the same situation in the past few months. It's not the flight attendant's fault that it takes the government years to do what could be done in a few weeks.

Jacob
07-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Yup. I must agree.

I also can't imagine that what this guy was doing really couldn't wait.

CTSLICK
07-29-2003, 11:50 PM
That was just it, he didn't even offer up a good reason. In his words he seriously thought it was "his job as a customer to push this issue" for the "good of all flyers". All I could think was "get off my side"!

And in the other cases I certainly heard my fair share of really important reasons like:

"I'll get fired if I don't make this phone call"
"If I lose this sale I am going to sue your airline"

Which I am sure made perfect sense to the person who said it but they sound rather silly when offered up in the situation.

Janak Parekh
07-30-2003, 01:25 AM
Amen. Besides, why are you making the flight attendant's life hard? It's just their job. If anything, I try to be as pleasant to them as possible -- they're the ones who are flying back and forth all day -- and the last thing they need is more hassle.

Besides, if he really knew what he was doing, he'd know how to suspend/hibernate his machine with one or two keystrokes. :roll:

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
07-30-2003, 03:00 AM
I'm with you 100% here.

The flight attendants have a hard enough job without dealing with idiots who think the world revolves around them. I got into it with a guy a couple trips ago who insisted that he finish his call while the rest of us sat and waited for the plane to take off. The attendant finally threatened to go get the Captain. I couldn't believe it! Sounds like the guy mentioned above who threatened to sue the airline. It's infuriating (especially when you KNOW he's just wasted an hour in the airport lounge).

Personally, I just do what they say. Sometimes they tell me to turn off my PDA for take off and landing, sometimes they don't. I just smile and do it. The 20 minutes it takes to land isn't going to make or break my day.

To the nut jobs, I say: RELAX! Get an iPAQ and play Battleship (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=143742)or something. 8)

Brad Adrian
07-30-2003, 03:18 AM
Besides, we all know that it's the flight attendants of this world, the customer service reps, the ticket counter workers, who have all the REAL power and ability to greatly influence how good a day we have. I can't count the number of times a simple smile and good attitude in a bad situation have gotten me put onto a "sold out" flight or into a first class seat.

Jeff Rutledge
07-30-2003, 04:30 AM
Besides, we all know that it's the flight attendants of this world, the customer service reps, the ticket counter workers, who have all the REAL power and ability to greatly influence how good a day we have. I can't count the number of times a simple smile and good attitude in a bad situation have gotten me put onto a "sold out" flight or into a first class seat.

You're exactly right there Brad. The whole customer service workforce are who really make the world go round. My roommate forgot this once when our cable went out. He decided to take out the fact that he'd missed the latest episode of his favorite show on the poor Call Centre girl. Six weeks later and still no cable, I persuaded him to change his tune. We were back in business the next day. 8)

Note: This was at a time when typical cable service calls were within a couple days.