View Full Version : New JVC Pocket PCs Will Be Available on September 15

Crystal Eitle
07-28-2003, 05:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=jasondunn-20&keyword=JVC+Pocket%20PC&mode=blended' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/e...PC&mode=blended</a><br /><br /></div>Woo hoo! I've been looking forward to the release of the new JVC Pocket PCs ever since I <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13871&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">first heard about them</a>. They have a number of exciting features, including dual slots, 128 megabytes of SDRAM and 32 megabytes of Flash ROM, built-in WiFi, and serious multimedia capabilities, including native support for Ogg Vorbis files and MPEG4. They also have a flip cover, which should be good news for all you recovering Jornadaholics out there. They're available for pre-order now at Amazon, with delivery on September 15. I'm not the pre-order type; I'll wait to see the reviews. But it's exciting to have a specific date attached to this much-anticipated Pocket PC. [Affiliate]

TawnerX
07-28-2003, 06:28 PM
I still think that hard cover looks like something that belong to playboy mansion. :lol:

It looks like a logo for chocolate, cigar or brandy, but definitely doesn't belong to a PDA. But maybe this PDA is designed for Foo, he asks for flip cover.

Bruno Figueiredo
07-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Is it just me or this baby has a USB port? :drool:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000A42YM.01.PT03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

dma1965
07-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Okay, now this is the first device I have seen in over 3 years of PPC usage that has impressed me. The features alone you mentioned are impressive, and I can't wait to see more specs. It looks like I may finally be able to dump my iPaq. Very impressive!

mar2k
07-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Looks like the old Casio BE-300 to me...........

sarnath
07-28-2003, 07:19 PM
is it just me or is this thing one of the ugliest pocket pc's ever......

marlof
07-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Oooohhhh..... I like this one. And not only because of the specs. It so reminds me of those very ultra-cool JVC black mini-DV recorders. But I can see where others would find this too boxy. But boxy is hip. I'd like to see this one next to other Pocket PCs. IIRC, it's slightly smaller than an iPAQ 5400, but bigger than the iPAQ 2210.

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see this one next to other Pocket PCs. IIRC, it's slightly smaller than an iPAQ 5400, but bigger than the iPAQ 2210.
I was going to say... it looks big in the pictures, but I bet it's quite compact.

I'm looking forward to seeing it come out, too. :)

--janak

marlof
07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Size of the "naked" 5550 according to the HP user manual:
L 5.23" x W 3.30 - 3.03" x D 0.63" weight: 6.59 oz

Size of the JVC according to press release (http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2003/175/news9.html):
L 5.2" x W 2.99" x D 0.65" weight: 6 oz

Size of the 2210 according to HP user manual:
L 4.57" x W 2.95" x D 0.63" weight: 5.01 oz

beq
07-29-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm guessing its AV control features would only work with other JVC consumer electronics equipment using their AV Compu-Link (as each brand has their own -- Sony, Panasonic, etc)? I do happen to have some JVC stuff but truthfully this control feature doesn't seem all that practical...

Kirkaiya
07-29-2003, 03:03 AM
That's definitely a USB port of some sort - the question, I guess, is whether it's a USB Host port, or merely the "client" end (useful for syncing with just a cable, or hooking up to other USB host devices, but not as great).

If this has USB Host, and a simple adapter... then you'd just be a few drivers away from Optical mouse, full keyboards, Printers, Scanners and so on, and taht would be pretty impressive.

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 03:07 AM
That's definitely a USB port of some sort - the question, I guess, is whether it's a USB Host port, or merely the "client" end (useful for syncing with just a cable, or hooking up to other USB host devices, but not as great).
I'm quite certain the JVC was designed to be a USB host. If you check out the articles from the 23rd, one says so..

--janak

Prevost
07-29-2003, 04:09 AM
If this has USB Host, and a simple adapter... then you'd just be a few drivers away from Optical mouse, full keyboards, Printers, Scanners and so on, and taht would be pretty impressive.Yeah.

Probably is not a beauty, but I think JVC could manage to pack this capabilities in a more compact package afterwards. All in all, ts multimedia specs I think make this a pace-setting device by themselves. Just the posibility of printing directly from it sets me :drool:

Crystal Eitle
07-29-2003, 04:11 AM
IIRC, it's just a USB client.

Gremmie
07-29-2003, 05:53 AM
The USB port will also be used for controlling JVC camcorders...I believe it was the InfoSync article where I saw this.

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 05:06 PM
IIRC, it's just a USB client.
As Gremmie implies, from the Infosync article you cited on June 23rd...
To these features, the MP-PV331 adds the aforementioned MPEG4 video capture, MPEG4 video streaming, built in Wi-Fi (802.11b) connectivity, a USB host/client port which enables connectivity with several JVC camcorder models
Looks like the two models will differ. I'd imagine if one writes drivers you could use that USB host for other purposes as well.

--janak

bbarker
09-05-2003, 02:27 AM
This was scheduled to be available Sept. 15. Does anyone know if that's still the schedule? JVC's consumer home page still says September.