View Full Version : PDA makes itself useful in CRM

Jason Dunn
07-21-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6776836%5E15841%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html' target='_blank'>http://australianit.news.com.au/art...Enbv%5E,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Industrial-strength customer relationship management applications designed for handheld computers are increasing the value of the PDA as an enterprise tool rather than a status symbol. To make the most of information gathered in the field, companies are equipping their mobile workforce with handhelds that synchronise mobile data collection to back-end CRM systems in real time. Historically, a company's service arm has never been treated as a profit centre, but according to Brian Ainsby, program management director for CRM company Astea International, mobile devices can have a major impact on profitability."<br /><br />The article goes on to talk about how Toshiba has rolled out a CRM system using, not surprisingly, Toshiba Pocket PCs. The article doesn't point out, however, that Toshiba will have to junk all their devices when the next OS update comes out. :roll:

entropy1980
07-21-2003, 10:23 PM
The article doesn't point out, however, that Toshiba will have to junk all their devices when the next OS update comes out. :roll:
:rotfl:

JLittle1
07-22-2003, 12:27 AM
:| While it is disappointing that Toshiba is not offering an OS upgrade; it doesn't mean that 2002PPCs have to be trashed. Personally, I have given serious consideration to replacing my old Jornada 567 but have decided that the new features of PPC2003 don't justify the cost. Everthing I want to do with a PPC can be done with PPC2002. It all boils down to what is the business case for the technology, not if the technology is the latest and greatest on the market.

ricksfiona
07-22-2003, 08:08 AM
I currently use my IPAQ 3870 for work mostly. Using TransACT to sync and view information from my ACT! 6.0 database and using Word is more than enough for documenting my visit with clients.

I am in the process of designing methods to ramp up the CRM I currently do. I just haven't seen anything on the Pocket PC side that is really worthwile and as usual, have to build it myself. :wink: