View Full Version : off PPC topic - need web hosting info

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 01:56 PM
I am about to start a small business and want to create a web site. I have "free" hosting with Charter Communications but it will not accept .php so I can not use Front Page or DreamWeaver. I am fairly literate with most programs, from a users standpoint, but Web site Creation is out of my league. This is the reason I want to use FrontPage. I've been "banging" around in it and it seems fairly simple.

On to my question: Who, Where can I get INEXPENSIVE Web Hosting for my site?? No banners, no pop ups, nothing major in space requirements. I only need to have about four to six pages with pics.

Again since I am a start up business every dollar counts and traffic will be low for my site so I can't afford to tie a lot of monies up in this part of the business.

Please advise and let me know of potential pitfalls to lookout for.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

jeremyweisser
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Just because they do not accept php does not mean you cannot use frontpage. I have used frontpage for many sites that only accept straight html pages.

gcherian
07-02-2003, 03:02 PM
i have found dixiesys to be very good in uptimes, support and cost. I think they do the cheaper version as another site.... but yes they on the whole is good for me for the past year and half.....

--just an opinion of a satisfied customer. :-)

davidspalding
07-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Front Page server extensions have little to do with PHP support. though ... if you want to explore using PHP and MySQL, you should look for a host which supports those. I should think that most sites will offer Front Page access, and Dreamweaver ... I thought ... was done via FTP, but that was a couple of versions ago. Allaire Homesite had the same or similar feature. <:}

Try www.siteturn.com. A friend has his domain on there, and for a pretty good price. Look at their "full service hosting" option.

msprague
07-02-2003, 03:35 PM
I can hook you up for $50/year with your own domain name and web hosting. See here groupservers.com (http://www.groupservers.com) It supports php and you would have a control panel to add email addresses, etc.
Yes, my normal price is $65/yr, but I'll give a break to Pocket PC Thoughts readers. Behind the scenes for me is AffordableHost.com (http://www.affordablehost.com), so you may want to check them out.

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Just because they do not accept php does not mean you cannot use frontpage. I have used frontpage for many sites that only accept straight html pages.

I appreciate the info but this does not help me unless I know how to make it work. When in FrontPage how do you convert the info to be accepted in to FTP?

I was simply using the upload feature which will not convert the page to anything other than .php (at least as far as I can tell)

msprague
07-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Wow, what version are you using? I did not know that FrontPage supports any form of PHP. My Frontpage 2002 doesn't even know what a php file is. Frontpage does allow you to publish a web to servers that do not have Frontpage extensions. You should be able to publish a web consisting of basic html files to any webserver that has ftp access using Frontpage.

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Front Page server extensions have little to do with PHP support. though ... if you want to explore using PHP and MySQL, you should look for a host which supports those. I should think that most sites will offer Front Page access, and Dreamweaver ... I thought ... was done via FTP, but that was a couple of versions ago. Allaire Homesite had the same or similar feature. <:}

When trying to upload my page I get an error saying that the host does not accept .php (FrontPage extensions). I guess this is what I was basing my info on. I called "tech support" who could only tell me that Charter could not accept .php and several others. They apparently only take FTP formats.

Please overlook my lack of knowledge about these things. I am in a major learning curve right now. I figure that if I can teach myself advanced Excel, all of the office suites, XP, Win2000, WinNT, I can get through this but I'm hitting some road blocks.

"Books are for sissies" :crazyeyes:

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Wow, what version are you using? I did not know that FrontPage supports any form of PHP. My Frontpage 2002 doesn't even know what a php file is. Frontpage does allow you to publish a web to servers that do not have Frontpage extensions. You should be able to publish a web consisting of basic html files to any webserver that has ftp access using Frontpage.

Dear God they're coming faster than I can explain.....

I prob should have put the full quote from my ISP "Charter does not support .php, .asp, or .ctibin" (I couldn't find my notes earlier :oops: )

With that said, I'm using 02 and trying to simply up load the page from my computer to the host. I have everything configured correctly in FrontPage (the host address, name, password, etc) But the error is that they do not support FonrtPage or something to that effect.

I would appreciate pointers on how to set up the site in FrontPage and simply upload it to the host.

msprague
07-02-2003, 04:16 PM
We should be able to get your current setup to work.

What version of Frontpage are you using?
Are all of your files in your frontpage web (except pictures) .htm files?
Are you specifying the server to publish to with the http:// or the ftp:// prefix?

Elad Yakobowicz
07-02-2003, 04:23 PM
I use HostRocket.com, but I got in on a special deal they had going and it isn't available anymore.

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 04:26 PM

Are you specifying the server to publish to with the http:// or the ftp:// prefix?

Using FrontPage2002, and publishing using http://

And the error is that the server does not FrontPage extensions available.

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 04:33 PM

Hey, let's see how off topic I can get.....Holland, Mi?? Know where St Joseph is??

Steven Cedrone
07-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Hey, let's see how off topic I can get.....Holland, Mi?? Know where St Joseph is??

:nonono: Stay on topic, stay on topic... :wink:

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 06:15 PM

:nonono: Stay on topic, stay on topic... :wink:

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Please tell me that we are not going to get that strict around here.
:idontthinkso:
I started this thread in the first place.

I'll PM from this point on.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. :twak:

Janak Parekh
07-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Note that Steve was winking. This is an off-topic thread, so it doesn't really matter. :)

BTW, I moved the post to the "off-topic" thread, where it belongs.

--janak

msprague
07-02-2003, 06:25 PM
From my experience http:// should only be used if the server supports Frontpage extensions (which yours doesn't). Try switching to ftp:// just like if you were ftp'ing with an ftp client. Also, make sure all your web pages are .htm and not .asp. If you still cannot publish, I would recommend trying to use an FTP client to do it. There are lots of freeware, shareware ones out there. You can still use Frontpage to build the pages and then use the ftp client to tranfer them. If you can't get the ftp client to work, then you have issues with your servername or login credentials.

Yes, I know St Joe. My wife is driving there 4 days a week right now for clinical traning at the hospital (ultrasound).

goirish!!
07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
From my experience http:// should only be used if the server supports Frontpage extensions (which yours doesn't). Try switching to ftp:// just like if you were ftp'ing with an ftp client. Also, make sure all your web pages are .htm and not .asp. If you still cannot publish, I would recommend trying to use an FTP client to do it. There are lots of freeware, shareware ones out there. You can still use Frontpage to build the pages and then use the ftp client to tranfer them. If you can't get the ftp client to work, then you have issues with your servername or login credentials.

I will try your advice with the FTP client. I am still considering moving to the hosting service that you suggested.

Yes, I know St Joe. My wife is driving there 4 days a week right now for clinical traning at the hospital (ultrasound).

Reason for asking about St Joe was I was born there, and lived in a small "town" called Riverside. Have since moved and actually lived most of my life in the south(Tennessee). Oh well, yet again the internet proves what a small world we live in now. :D

spg
07-02-2003, 07:02 PM
I use Readyhosting (http://www.readyhosting.com) for most of my hosting needs. They support PHP, ASP, and FrontPage extensions. Only $100 a year too, never had any trouble with them.

[Edit: Fixed typo]

davidspalding
07-11-2003, 04:30 AM

When trying to upload my page I get an error saying that the host does not accept .php (FrontPage extensions). I guess this is what I was basing my info on. I called "tech support" who could only tell me that Charter could not accept .php and several others. They apparently only take FTP formats.

Would someone explain to us WTF an "FTP format" web page is? %^}

FTP is File Transfer Protocol, it's an Internet protocol/server/client to move files from your computer here to that computer there. It has nothing to do with files on your web server.

Maybe Mr. Mental Defect in Tech Support whom you spoke with meant that you could only upload files to your site with FTP...? If there are no FrontPage extensions then you can't "publish" your site with FP, but must move your files with FTP. If so, this is a fairly shallow learning curve for you to climb. Get a copy of WS_FTP and read the help files.

goirish!!
07-11-2003, 07:33 PM

THANKS!! I have been hit by a virus over the last couple of days so I haven't been on top of this as of yet. (Reformatting and all)

I will look at the program you mention but the more I think about it I might just go with an inexpensive hosting service that will accept FrontPage so I don't have to do more than just update my info and then upload it.

Again, thanks for following up.

Would someone explain to us WTF an "FTP format" web page is? %^}

FTP is File Transfer Protocol, it's an Internet protocol/server/client to move files from your computer here to that computer there. It has nothing to do with files on your web server.

Maybe Mr. Mental Defect in Tech Support whom you spoke with meant that you could only upload files to your site with FTP...? If there are no FrontPage extensions then you can't "publish" your site with FP, but must move your files with FTP. If so, this is a fairly shallow learning curve for you to climb. Get a copy of WS_FTP and read the help files.