View Full Version : Can someone point me in the right direction...

cab124
06-25-2003, 04:35 PM
I just purchased a new iPaq 2215 from Best Buy.

I was just wondering if it is really feasible to configure my desktop so that I can sync to it using the Bluetooth integrated into the 2215.

Has anyone done this? Does it work well? Where should I look for information on what I need to buy to make this happen and how to go about configuring it.

I am a wireless moron right now. Its time to get with the program!!

medic119
06-25-2003, 07:18 PM
I assume you have Bluetooth on you desktop?
If so just make sure Bluetooth is on on the 2215, Open the Bluetooth manager and you should see the BT device on your desktop. Set the up to talk, Open Activesync and Push Connect.

Should be that easy!

drober30
06-26-2003, 02:02 AM
I have been trying to get Activesync to work with BT all day. This is my first attempt to use BT. I was told that I had to Pair the device to my laptop before I could Activsync. I don’t know if that’s true or not. It appears to me that’s just security. What is supposed to be simple has taken most of my day and still no luck. I have a ipaq 2215 and a Belken USB BT adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cab124
06-26-2003, 04:02 AM
I don't have BT on my desktop yet. I will need to add it. I don't have a clue as to what is involved in adding BT capability to the desktop. Is the Belken USB BT adapter the one that you are using on your desktop?

Keep us posted on your progress.

hollis_f
06-26-2003, 07:25 AM
I don't have BT on my desktop yet. I will need to add it. I don't have a clue as to what is involved in adding BT capability to the desktop. Is the Belken USB BT adapter the one that you are using on your desktop?

Keep us posted on your progress.The best device (IMNSHO) is the TDK Bluetooth USB dongle. It took me 2 minutes to set my 3970 up to activesync with my laptop.

freitasm
06-26-2003, 11:57 AM
I have been trying to get Activesync to work with BT all day. This is my first attempt to use BT. I was told that I had to Pair the device to my laptop before I could Activsync. I don’t know if that’s true or not. It appears to me that’s just security. What is supposed to be simple has taken most of my day and still no luck. I have a ipaq 2215 and a Belken USB BT adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have to pair a device before it can use some services. Make sure your Pocket PC is configured to be "Visible" to other devices. Also make sure you enter a PIN in its Bluetooth configuration.

Then, from your desktop do a Search Devices. When you see the Pocket PC icon, right-click and select Pair Devices. It'll ask for the PIN in both your computer and PPC. After this they're paired and ready to use.

Look in our Bluetooth Guides (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) on how to ActiveSync, share your internet connection, dial up using a mobile phone, etc...

cab124
06-26-2003, 05:33 PM
How does Bluetooth bandwidth compare to USB 2.0 bandwidth? Is it practical to sync wma files with bluetooth?

freitasm
06-26-2003, 08:59 PM
You can't compare, just yet... There's no USB 2.0 cradle AFAIK, so any sync will be over USB 1.1.

Bluetooth bandwidth is 720kb/s and USB is 11Mb/s. It's always faster to sync over USB, but sometimes not as convenient as using Bluetooth.

hollis_f
06-27-2003, 07:29 AM
You can't compare, just yet... There's no USB 2.0 cradle AFAIK, so any sync will be over USB 1.1.

Bluetooth bandwidth is 720kb/s and USB is 11Mb/s. It's always faster to sync over USB, but sometimes not as convenient as using Bluetooth.USB bandwidth may be 11 Mb/s - but no PPC I've used approaches that sort of speed. I believe the transfer speed is stuck at the same as a serial port.

Activesyncing via BT is perhaps marginally slower than doing it via USB. However, with my laptop it's a lot faster (if you include the time spent searching for the USB cable).

freitasm
06-27-2003, 10:28 AM

Bluetooth bandwidth is 720kb/s and USB is 11Mb/s. It's always faster to sync over USB, but sometimes not as convenient as using Bluetooth.USB bandwidth may be 11 Mb/s - but no PPC I've used approaches that sort of speed. I believe the transfer speed is stuck at the same as a serial port.

Activesyncing via BT is perhaps marginally slower than doing it via USB. However, with my laptop it's a lot faster (if you include the time spent searching for the USB cable).

That was my point. "There's no USB 2.0 cradle" means that the comparison the original article refers to is invalid because it'll not hold true.

hollis_f
06-27-2003, 03:00 PM
That was my point. "There's no USB 2.0 cradle" means that the comparison the original article refers to is invalid because it'll not hold true. Yup, and my point was that even the USB 1 synchronisation gets nowhere near the speeds that are theoretically possible. So when you say it's always faster to sync via USB - I'd say "not a lot".