View Full Version : Gateway Plans New Handhelds

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111239,tk,dn061903X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n061903X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"More details about Gateway's forthcoming personal digital assistant and a new server to be released in August were revealed by executives Tuesday in a phone interview at CeBIT America in New York. The Gateway 100X will be Gateway's first handheld when it is released on Monday with the launch of Microsoft's Pocket PC 2003 operating system, said Mike Stinson, vice president and general manager of mobile products for Gateway. The company considers its PDA a high-end product that it will sell for between $300 and $350, he said.<br /><br />The Poway, California, company will include both a Compact Flash and a secure digital slot in the PDA, Stinson said. It will come with 32MB of RAM and 32MB of ROM, he said. Information about how much RAM would be user accessible was not immediately available. Gateway will use a 3.5-inch reflective TFT display on the Gateway 100X, with a screen resolution of 320 pixels by 240 pixels, Stinson said. The PDA will also come with a 400MHz XScale processor from Intel, he said."<br /><br />I want to give Gateway a chance, but I hope the above was a misquote. 8O A "high-end" Pocket PC with 32 MB of RAM and $350? Market research my dear Gateway, market research...

mc_03
06-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Is it just me, or does "100X" sound very similar to "X5"? :lol:

This sounds a lot like the Axim basic... except for the reflective screen... and it's much more expensive.

Gateway needs to learn the true meaning of high end :D

etalianstallion
06-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Seriously, doesn't seem like they did enough market research. :roll: The "reflective TFT" breaks the deal for me, and at that price, you can bet these won't be flying off the shelves (unless there is some major earthquake). Rather weak and disappointing announcement if you ask me.

Foo Fighter
06-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Seriously, doesn't seem like they did enough market research. :roll: The "reflective TFT" breaks the deal for me.

I wouldn't bet on that display being reflective. Most likely, this is just generalized term be bandied about to the media, or a goof in the printed specs. People at Brighthand that just got the new HP 2215 are reporting that the box says "Reflective" display on side of the box, and Transflective on the other.

Gateway can't be that stupid. If they are, their handheld will quickly be put out to pasture. Sorry for the pun. :jester:

Crystal Eitle
06-19-2003, 11:32 PM
I'm with everyone else in hoping the "reflective" thing is just a misprint. Why would they stuff a 400 mhz processor into a machine with outdated screen technology?

wu-wei
06-19-2003, 11:33 PM
This gives me hope for the viability of PPC 2003 on older devices. I presume the newest Gateways would ship with the newest OS (I think I recall reading the same information somewhere around here). If 32 MB is all it takes, then we should be OK.

Obviously updating the OS in a new ROM image will still be at the discretion of the hardware manufacturers, but at least there is some valid basis for optimism (and possibly some leverage for we lowly consumers).

entropy1980
06-19-2003, 11:48 PM
This gives me hope for the viability of PPC 2003 on older devices. I presume the newest Gateways would ship with the newest OS (I think I recall reading the same information somewhere around here). If 32 MB is all it takes, then we should be OK.

Obviously updating the OS in a new ROM image will still be at the discretion of the hardware manufacturers, but at least there is some valid basis for optimism (and possibly some leverage for we lowly consumers).

Our friend Rollie on Dell's Axim board says he still had about the same File Store left after his 2003 upgrade so I don't think it's much bigger than 2002...

ntractv
06-19-2003, 11:57 PM
IMHO, if the device does arrive as adverstised with only 32mb of ram, they are already behind the curve ball. Within a few days the new PPC'swill be arriving with 128mb so any new device without, what seems to me the standard 64mb, is foolish. Or maybe they are trying to reach into the Palm devotees who wanna give a swing at the PPC units. Or then again, maybe they are testing the waters to see how the device sells before they commit more $$$$'s

My 2 cents

szamot
06-20-2003, 01:02 AM
mooooo, I mean booooo 32 and 32 just does not cut it these days anymore, I am sorry.

Mitch D
06-20-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm with everyone else in hoping the "reflective" thing is just a misprint. Why would they stuff a 400 mhz processor into a machine with outdated screen technology?

Why would they stuff a 400 MHz processor into a machine with 32mb of ram and rom? I was actually looking forward to seeing this unit from them but now I am not even interested if the specs are anywhere near correct.

The 32/32 was the reason I am looking to replace my 3830.

I guess we'll just have to wait till Monday to find out.

Thinkingmandavid
06-20-2003, 01:48 AM
32 megs is a bunch of crap! High end? mmm, they need to double think "high end", maybe up the moooos....anyway:)
The screen a duh on, the megs though is a bunch of crap. If they want it high end, they should have put more than 64 megs in there. I get the impression some where they want to impress and do with this with a supposedly good price tag, so they are cutting corners in some areas. The megs and screen is certainly not the place to do it, duh!
Of course, I am going to give them an opportunity to prove themselves. :mrgreen:

jmbneaf
06-20-2003, 02:03 AM
Check out this funny take on the Gateway PDA from Brighthand...

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80652

Its a great laugh.... you might bust a few stomachs ... :lol:

-JB

darrylb
06-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Maybe by high end they are meaning that they want to market it as a pocket diary with a few extra bells and whistles....? or maybe a calculator? :roll:

hvlien
06-20-2003, 04:03 AM
Gateway can't be that stupid. If they are, their handheld will quickly be put out to pasture. Sorry for the pun. :jester:

I'd have to disagree. I work for Gateway and there are so many things that they do that makes me scratch my head. If these specs hold true, I don't know how I could sell such a device. Granted, the 400mhz speed is nice, but come on, 32mb of ram? Who are they trying to kid? The funny thing is I've been hunting for weeks for info on our new PDAs, yet, the only place I've been able to dig up any info is on sites likes new.com and Brighthand.

Makes me wonder if I should just buy an Axim and demostrate it in our stores. :twisted: Demonstrating the Pocket PC's capabilities with my 1910 will only make them jealous. Let's hope that there's something else that hasn't been releases about the 100X (maybe built-in wifi or bluetooth, but that still doesn't justify only 32mb of ram)

Kati Compton
06-20-2003, 04:12 AM
Anyone remember when Gateway was talking about buying the Amiga? ;)

Paul
06-20-2003, 07:21 AM
I was gonna give Gateway a chance but now it looks like my next PDA won't come from them... Sorry Gateway.

JonnoB
06-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Anyone remember when Gateway was talking about buying the Amiga? ;)

They did buy the Amiga... did nothing with it and one of the old Gateway execs left and bought the intellectual property and today we get Amiga games on an MMC card.

Philip Colmer
06-20-2003, 08:57 AM
"The Gateway 100X will be Gateway's first handheld when it is released on Monday with the launch of Microsoft's Pocket PC 2003 operating system, said Mike Stinson, vice president and general manager of mobile products for Gateway."

So we've only got to wait until Monday ... :-)

--Philip

liur168
06-20-2003, 11:03 AM
The memory configuration is 32MB Intel StrataFlash Memory and "64MB" low-power DRAM! StrataFlash is a NOR type Flash that supports XIP feature. Thus, it will not need DRAM space for loading PPC software during execution.

The CPU is the latest PXA255 (not PXA250) and is turbocharged with a latest graphic acceleration chip (not the older chip). Checkout the overall performance rating when it becomes available!

The LCD panel supports a finer dot pitch with LED front light to minimize the power consumption. Brightness difference between this panel and competing transflective is minimal in my opinion.

Last, it comes with a Magnesium alloy enclosure!

Insider scoop....

Timothy Rapson
06-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Last, it comes with a Magnesium alloy enclosure!

Insider scoop....

I just love this insider scoop stuff.

Thanks.

agostumpy
06-20-2003, 03:34 PM
I don't think Gateway is in this to get the corner of the PPC market. They know there are a ton of people who'll buy it just 'cause it looks like a cow! They don't market that much to high-end people or professionals, but to soccer mom's and home office-types who think that a "RAM" is a guy that plays on a football team.

They're just in it to make the moooooooola :lol:
(how many more cow jokes can we make?)

maximum360
06-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Once they're in they'll milk the PPC market for all it's worth...

:wink:

PetiteFlower
06-20-2003, 04:44 PM
IMO Gateway makes computers that aren't worth the boxes they ship in, they use low quality parts, and I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them. They are simply an inferior company to Dell in every way.

Anthony Caruana
06-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Gotta agree. Can't see Gateway entering this market just to be a niche or bit player. No one makes the sort of investment it takes to market a Pocket PC without the intent of making a pile of cash

Will T Smith
06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't think Gateway is in this to get the corner of the PPC market. They know there are a ton of people who'll buy it just 'cause it looks like a cow! They don't market that much to high-end people or professionals, but to soccer mom's and home office-types who think that a "RAM" is a guy that plays on a football team.

They're just in it to make the moooooooola :lol:
(how many more cow jokes can we make?)

Try the cricket team instead. RAM is a common Indian name (like their are "uncommon" Indian names ;-) I used to work with a guy named RAM.

Will T Smith
06-20-2003, 10:14 PM
IMO Gateway makes computers that aren't worth the boxes they ship in, they use low quality parts, and I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from them. They are simply an inferior company to Dell in every way.

Fortunately, NOBODY (save ASUS) really makes their own PocketPC devices. They're all outsourced to a handful of mobile device manufacturers in Taiwan. These are the same guys who build Dell's notebook computers (and everybody else's) as well.

Gateway's legendary quality problems (second only to Compaq) shouldn't directly affect their PocketPC.

Regarding the capacity, I think we should wait until their unveiled and reviewed. One advantage that Gateway has is they have their own retail chain to push things. I would look for these things to be "throw ins" with their higher-end junk PCs.