View Full Version : 5450 Wireless Config help

Techtoys
05-10-2003, 01:37 PM
HIi,
I have a 5450 and I can connect to my home wireless network, but I can't share my internet connection - I always get 'the page you are looking for cannot be found' :(
I can see the files on my PC, I can print (using HP Mobile Print), I can get an activesync connection going (which will not then allow passthrough!).
I have the network connections set up as:
Connect to the internet using :- Bluetooth (works fine with T68)
Connect to work using :- Andy_Home (based on work)
My Network Card connects to: Work

The Andy_Home settings have nothing in them except 'this network connects tot he internet - ticked, this network uses a proxy server - ticked with the ip address of my home machine in the proxy server box. If I keave this blank then I it looses the tick in the 'this network connects to the internet' box.

My wireless network is set up as an adhoc peer to peer with 128bit WEP, all working ok. I had to go peer to peer because the wireless USB network adaptor (LinkSys) doesn't seem to work in infrastructure mode. Maybe that is the problem, but I don't know enough about wireless networks to know.

Please help,

Andy

Pony99CA
05-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I have a 5450 and I can connect to my home wireless network, but I can't share my internet connection - I always get 'the page you are looking for cannot be found' :(
I can see the files on my PC, I can print (using HP Mobile Print), I can get an activesync connection going (which will not then allow passthrough!).
I have the network connections set up as:
Connect to the internet using :- Bluetooth (works fine with T68)
Connect to work using :- Andy_Home (based on work)
My Network Card connects to: Work

The Andy_Home settings have nothing in them except 'this network connects tot he internet - ticked, this network uses a proxy server - ticked with the ip address of my home machine in the proxy server box. If I keave this blank then I it looses the tick in the 'this network connects to the internet' box.

My wireless network is set up as an adhoc peer to peer with 128bit WEP, all working ok. I had to go peer to peer because the wireless USB network adaptor (LinkSys) doesn't seem to work in infrastructure mode. Maybe that is the problem, but I don't know enough about wireless networks to know.
DISCLAIMER: I'm a software geek, not a hardware geek. :-)

You might want to tell us about the rest of the network. Are you using a router? How many PCs are in your network? Does your WAN connection attach to the router or a PC in the LAN? What does it mean when you say that your USB WiFi adapter "doesn't seem to work in infrastructre mode"?

Have you tried setting the Connect to The Internet field in the Connections settings applet to Andy_Home to see if that works at home?

Also, on my Connect to Work settings, I have the This network connects to the Internet setting checked without any proxy information. I'm running in infrastructure mode, but don't know if that matters, either.

Steve

calimero
05-10-2003, 09:47 PM
I think the PC must share the Internet connection by using a proxy or something similar (try http://www.webattack.com/get/axproxy.shtml). Also, on your Pocket PC Connection settings, you should check "This network connects to the Internet" and then introduce the proxy information.

ctmagnus
05-11-2003, 05:46 AM
I think the PC must share the Internet connection by using a proxy or something similar (try http://www.webattack.com/get/axproxy.shtml). Also, on your Pocket PC Connection settings, you should check "This network connects to the Internet" and then introduce the proxy information.

Desktop proxies should not be needed with PPC2002.

I have no proxies (with respect to the Pocket PC) setup, and have no issues.

Techtoys
05-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the assistance, but still as clear as mud. Here is the info on the rest of the network.

There is 1 PC, which is connected to the internet using an ADSL line and an Alcatel Speedtouch modem. This PC has a LinkSys Wireless USB Network Adapter atteched (no router), which allows my iPAQ to connect to the PC using the built in 802.11b.

The wireless netowrk is bridged to the asdl connection using Window XP (home edition) built in bridger.

The ADSL connection is shared under Windows XP. I am running zonealarm and set this up to allow the local wireless connection a pass through of the firewall. The wireless connection is encrypted anduses a 128bit WEP key.

When I try and set 'this network connects to the internet' on the iPAQ, in any connection setting, it resets to un-checked if I do not include some proxy information.

It could be that I need to go and buy a router and use this instead of a simple wireless adapter, but I'd rather not if I do not have to. When I try to run the adapter in infrastructure mode, the wireless network becomes disabled and stays that way until it is reset in adhoc.

Sorry about the long post, but I guess the devil will be in the details. Thanks for your help.

calimero
05-11-2003, 12:44 PM

Desktop proxies should not be needed with PPC2002.

I have no proxies (with respect to the Pocket PC) setup, and have no issues.At home I have no proxies... I have a WAP and a XDSL router. The router implements NATP and this is "transparent" for the PPC. No proxy configuration needed.

At work I have a proxy installed on Desktop... The connection between PC and PPC is Ad-Hoc (No Wireless Access Point and Infrastructure mode).

calimero
05-11-2003, 01:04 PM
The wireless netowrk is bridged to the asdl connection using Window XP (home edition) built in bridger.That's OK. I think thatīs something like NATP in my router and you should not need proxy configuration. (I'm not 100% sure because I'm using Win98SE and I don't known how the bridger works).

I have been investigating... I think XP bridger works like an Ethernet switch. You are not sharing your Internet connection...
Take a look at http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

When I try and set 'this network connects to the internet' on the iPAQ, in any connection setting, it resets to un-checked if I do not include some proxy information.Try "this network connects to work" and check "This network connects to the Internet"... This works for me.

When I try to run the adapter in infrastructure mode, the wireless network becomes disabled and stays that way until it is reset in adhoc.Infrastructure mode connects the adapter to a Wireless Access Point. Ad-Hoc mode connects the adapter to another PC or PPC.